Re: Vim.app directory structure

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 16, 2006
      On 16 mars 06, at 13:19, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > In the latest snapshot I have made it like this. I did a little
      > bit of
      > testing and it appears to work.
      >
      > I also noticed that "make install" puts Vim.app in /usr/local by
      > default. That isn't useful, thus I now made the default /
      > Applications.

      Great news. How long before it propagates to the aap version? (I
      think you said once it took some time to update the aap, but I'm not
      sure why.)

      Alan

      --
      Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

      The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
      happen.
      .O.
      ..O
      OOO
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 16, 2006
        Alan Schmitt wrote:

        > On 16 mars 06, at 13:19, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > > In the latest snapshot I have made it like this. I did a little
        > > bit of
        > > testing and it appears to work.
        > >
        > > I also noticed that "make install" puts Vim.app in /usr/local by
        > > default. That isn't useful, thus I now made the default /
        > > Applications.
        >
        > Great news. How long before it propagates to the aap version? (I
        > think you said once it took some time to update the aap, but I'm not
        > sure why.)

        I don't know when I'm going to update the Aap recipe, it's not a
        priority for me.

        137. You decide to stay in college for an additional year or two,
        just so you can have the free Internet access.

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 16, 2006
          Chris Allen wrote:

          > > In the latest snapshot I have made it like this. I did a little bit of
          > > testing and it appears to work.
          > >
          > > I also noticed that "make install" puts Vim.app in /usr/local by
          > > default. That isn't useful, thus I now made the default /Applications.
          >
          > There's a little problem with the current snapshot, in that it
          > installs a Unix-style non-GUI build into /Applications, too.

          Should it only be used when building for Carbon?

          135. You cut classes or miss work so you can stay home and browse the web.

        • Chris Allen
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2006
            > Should it only be used when building for Carbon?

            I would say so. Having /Applications/man /Applications/share and
            /Applications/bin appear is rather unpleasant when you are expecting a
            Unix-style installation.

            Thanks,
            Chris Allen
          • Alan Schmitt
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
              I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
              comments:
              /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
              "helptags ." -c quit
              /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
              Vim: No such file or directory
              make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127

              The path to the application should be:
              /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
              (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
              Resources/vim/)

              Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.

              Thanks for this nice OS X integration.

              Alan

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
                Alan Schmitt wrote:

                > I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
                > comments:
                > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
                > "helptags ." -c quit
                > /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
                > Vim: No such file or directory
                > make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127
                >
                > The path to the application should be:
                > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
                > (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
                > Resources/vim/)

                Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name
                "Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim"? It doesn't happen for me. What
                configure options did you use or what changes to the Makefile did you
                make?

                > Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.

                An icon should already be added.

                > Thanks for this nice OS X integration.

                The way to fill the Vim.app directory changed recently, thus watch out
                for any trouble.

                212. Your Internet group window has more icons than your Accessories window.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
                  On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:16:04PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > The way to fill the Vim.app directory changed recently, thus watch out
                  > for any trouble.

                  If this is causing problems, I have to apologize, since I suggested
                  the change and have not had time to test it yet. (Among other things, I
                  am trying to sort out the various TeX file types before vim 7.0 goes
                  beta.) The goal of the change is to make it possible for users to
                  associate file types to Vim.app . (This worked for me in testing, but I
                  also had a modified Info.plist, so I am not sure that the change in
                  directory structure is enough.)

                  --Benji Fisher
                • Alan Schmitt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
                    On 22 mars 06, at 12:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Alan Schmitt wrote:
                    >
                    >> I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
                    >> comments:
                    >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
                    >> "helptags ." -c quit
                    >> /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
                    >> Vim: No such file or directory
                    >> make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127
                    >>
                    >> The path to the application should be:
                    >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
                    >> (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
                    >> Resources/vim/)
                    >
                    > Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name
                    > "Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim"? It doesn't happen for me. What
                    > configure options did you use or what changes to the Makefile did you
                    > make?

                    I did:
                    cvs checkout
                    cd vim7/src
                    ./configure --enable-pythoninter --with-features=huge
                    make
                    make install

                    with no change to the Makefiles (fresh out of cvs). The error was
                    when running "make install".

                    Maybe the problem is with the definition of "prefix" at the beginning
                    of the install:

                    srcdir=`pwd`; make -f Makefile installruntime \
                    VIMEXE=$srcdir/Vim \
                    prefix=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim \
                    VIMRTLOC=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime

                    >> Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.
                    >
                    > An icon should already be added.

                    I see this in the make:
                    cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns

                    but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
                    Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
                    an icon to the app:

                    schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
                    Contents
                    schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
                    Contents Icon

                    >> Thanks for this nice OS X integration.
                    >
                    > The way to fill the Vim.app directory changed recently, thus watch out
                    > for any trouble.

                    I'll keep my eyes opened.

                    Thanks again.

                    Alan

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 23, 2006
                      Alan Schmitt wrote:

                      > On 22 mars 06, at 12:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      >
                      > > Alan Schmitt wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
                      > >> comments:
                      > >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
                      > >> "helptags ." -c quit
                      > >> /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
                      > >> Vim: No such file or directory
                      > >> make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127
                      > >>
                      > >> The path to the application should be:
                      > >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
                      > >> (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
                      > >> Resources/vim/)
                      > >
                      > > Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name
                      > > "Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim"? It doesn't happen for me. What
                      > > configure options did you use or what changes to the Makefile did you
                      > > make?
                      >
                      > I did:
                      > cvs checkout
                      > cd vim7/src
                      > ./configure --enable-pythoninter --with-features=huge
                      > make
                      > make install
                      >
                      > with no change to the Makefiles (fresh out of cvs). The error was
                      > when running "make install".
                      >
                      > Maybe the problem is with the definition of "prefix" at the beginning
                      > of the install:
                      >
                      > srcdir=`pwd`; make -f Makefile installruntime \
                      > VIMEXE=$srcdir/Vim \
                      > prefix=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim \
                      > VIMRTLOC=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime

                      OK, apparently the help tags file didn't get updated when building Vim.
                      I suppose this happens when you built Vim before and the "runtime" link
                      was already present.

                      I'll move that from "make" to "make install". That is more logical
                      anyway.

                      > >> Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.
                      > >
                      > > An icon should already be added.
                      >
                      > I see this in the make:
                      > cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
                      >
                      > but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
                      > Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
                      > an icon to the app:
                      >
                      > schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
                      > Contents
                      > schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
                      > Contents Icon

                      I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
                      no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
                      copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.

                      --
                      A computer without Windows is like a fish without a bicycle.

                    • Alan Schmitt
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
                        On 23 mars 06, at 12:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        >> I see this in the make:
                        >> cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
                        >>
                        >> but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
                        >> Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
                        >> an icon to the app:
                        >>
                        >> schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
                        >> Contents
                        >> schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
                        >> Contents Icon
                        >
                        > I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
                        > no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
                        > copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.

                        I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
                        this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
                        away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
                        Strange.

                        Alan

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
                          Alan Schmitt wrote:

                          > >> I see this in the make:
                          > >> cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
                          > >>
                          > >> but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
                          > >> Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
                          > >> an icon to the app:
                          > >>
                          > >> schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
                          > >> Contents
                          > >> schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
                          > >> Contents Icon
                          > >
                          > > I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
                          > > no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
                          > > copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.
                          >
                          > I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
                          > this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
                          > away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
                          > Strange.

                          I was working on making "aap install" work yesterday and the Vim.app it
                          produced does have an Icon. I don't know why it failed for you before.

                          251. You've never seen your closest friends who usually live WAY too far away.

                        • Jussi Hagman
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
                            On 24.3.2006, at 10:15, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                            > I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
                            > this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
                            > away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
                            > Strange.

                            Not at all, Finder does some caching of the icon, so what you see is
                            not always the real thing. I guess there was an icon all the time but
                            Finder was just being too aggressive with caching.

                          • Jeremy Conlin
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006

                              > I was working on making "aap install" work yesterday and the Vim.app it
                              > produced does have an Icon. I don't know why it failed for you before.

                              I just use aap to download and compile the latest snapshot (7.0232) of
                              Vim. When everything finished I got the following error

                              09:21:15 hamrollup ~$ vim
                              Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS
                              Vim: Finished.
                              Bus error

                              However when I compile the source code manually (i.e. not using aap)
                              then it works. Also, I noticed that when compiling with aap, only one
                              of my two cores on my MacBook gets used at a time, but when compiling
                              manually, both are used. I know Bram is still working on updating
                              this, just wanted you to be aware of the issues I had. Hope it helps.
                              Thanks for the great work!
                              Jeremy