Re: Vim on Mac: What's NeXT? ;)

  • Dany St-Amant
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2001
      Le Mercredi 7 novembre 2001, à 12:32 , gmark@... a écrit :

      [...[
      >> -Drop to shell?
      >> (Huh? this currently work on my development stream can't believe it)
      > I don't understand that comment, but having VIM be able to drop to
      > the shell (preferably the user-specified shell (ksh, bash, csh,
      > whatever's
      > running) would be excellent. Being able to actually run a shell command
      > on a text buffer or file would be even better, doing it from VIM in a
      > GUI
      > environment would likely attract a LOT of attention, since it would give
      > IMMEDIATE shell access from a GUI editor!

      My comment was live feedback ;). I did a quick :!sh and strangely, I got
      a shell.
      As I didn't do any change (at least can't remember) in that area since
      the
      "Patch for shell.." I shipped on the 31st of October. This should be
      working since then.
      I didn't try the binary that Benji put on is iDisk,
      http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/
      (but I think he included that patch and compiled it with -DMACOS_X_UNIX
      (even though the patch is not a official vim patch as I did't got time
      to look
      at the type ahead possible bug.

      > Everything else pales after the shell stuff. It'd be a BIG draw for
      > OSX users everywhere.
      >
      > G. Mark Stewart

      Dany
    • Florent Pillet
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2001
        on 7/11/01 4:01, Dany St-Amant at dany.stamant@... wrote:

        > -Terminal/Carbon combo version?

        About this, one of my friends developed a terminal emulator for Mac OS X
        which uses OpenGL in 2D mode to display the text. It is __much__ faster than
        the basic terminal rendering speed, because it goes direct to the
        acceleration hardware. A weird use for OpenGL, but definitely interesting
        for those who spend the whole work day in VIM (I do, on several platforms).

        --
        Florent Pillet, Code Segment Florent.Pillet@...
        PGP Key: D13C 6DD7 D0E2 7891 4AF9 0111 9514 4753 02F1 4D6D

        PowerGlot, the premier localization tool for Mac OS software
        -> PowerGlot Software http://www.powerglot.com/
        Sync Buddy for Mac & PalmOS. FindHack, SymbolHack for PalmOS
        -> ...and other tools... http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fpillet/
        BrainForest, outlines & action items for Palm, Mac & Windows
        -> http://www.aportis.com/