Re: possible bug with symbolic links

  • Chris Allen
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2006
      On 3/14/06, Dave Price <kinaole@...> wrote:
      > I finally got around to installing the 6.4 binaries - the problem is
      > still there - whether started as gvim or vi (symlinked to the gvim
      > script).

      Well, that's interesting. I've just re-checked that I checked
      properly, and it definitely works correctly for me:

      sylph:~ chrisa$ export VIM64=/Users/chrisa/Code/64vim/src/Vim
      sylph:~ chrisa$ echo "This is test file 1" > test_file1.txt
      sylph:~ chrisa$ ln -s test_file1.txt link_1.txt
      sylph:~ chrisa$ $VIM64 "+normal o" "+normal G" "+normal iThis is text
      inserted through link_1.txt" +wq link_1.txt
      sylph:~ chrisa$ diff test_file1.txt link_1.txt
      sylph:~ chrisa$ ls -l *1*
      lrwxr-xr-x 1 chrisa chrisa 14 14 Mar 12:51 link_1.txt -> test_file1.txt
      -rw-r--r-- 1 chrisa chrisa 61 14 Mar 12:57 test_file1.txt
      sylph:~ chrisa$ cat *1*
      This is test file 1
      This is text inserted through link_1.txt
      This is test file 1
      This is text inserted through link_1.txt
      sylph:~ chrisa$

      > If I edit a file which is a symlink, saving the changes replaces the
      > symlink with a real file, and leaves the link target unchanged.

      I wonder if this is some strange behaviour from a plugin or an option
      you've got set. Does this still happen if you start Vim with the -u
      NONE -U NONE options? The behaviour does not change for me with these

      sylph:~ chrisa$ $VIM64 -u NONE -U NONE "+normal o" "+normal G"
      "+normal iThis is text inserted through link_1.txt" +wq link_1.txt
      sylph:~ chrisa$ diff *1*
      sylph:~ chrisa$

      For comparison, my test version of 6.4 is:

      sylph:~ chrisa$ $VIM64 --version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.4 (2005 Oct 15, compiled Mar 14 2006 12:44:50)
      MacOS X (unix) version
      Compiled by chrisa@...
      Huge version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
      +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
      +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
      +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap
      +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
      +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
      -mouse_netterm -mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg -osfiletype
      +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
      +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
      +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
      +textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
      +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
      -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
      Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MAC -arch
      ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas
      -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -DMACOS_X_UNIX
      -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
      Linking:
      gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv

      Which I rolled on my own.

      > A minor bug, but it does drive subversion bonkers.

      Indeed, very serious mis-behaviour, really. If you can test it with
      -u NONE and -U NONE and post us a :version dump then perhaps we can
      find out what causes it.

      HTH,
      Chris Allen