Re: GUI build failing on OS X 1.3.9

  • Jussi Hagman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2006
      On 14.3.2006, at 11:52, Chris Allen wrote:

      > Creating Info.plist
      > m4 -DAPP_EXE=Vim -DAPP_NAME=Vim -DAPP_VER=7.0aa
      > -DICON_APP=gui_mac.icns infplist.xml > Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist
      > cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
      > make[1]: *** No rule to make target `os_mac.rsr.hqx', needed by
      > `bundle-rsrc'. Stop.
      > make: *** [first] Error 2
      >
      > I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I also don't know
      > when this started, since I only rarely build the Mac GUI version.

      I'm puzzled. os_mac.rsr.hqx is a binary encoded resource file that we
      use in the mac GUI version of vim. There is and should not be any
      special make rules for it. See that the file src/os_mac.rsr.hqx is
      found.

      Other than that I can't help at the moment, other than to say that on
      the latest snapshot I have (223) the resource file is alive and well.
      The snapshot compiles fine at least on OS X 10.4. Makefiles should
      not work differently in 10.3 either :)

    • Chris Allen
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2006
        On 3/14/06, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
        > I'm puzzled. os_mac.rsr.hqx is a binary encoded resource file that we
        > use in the mac GUI version of vim. There is and should not be any
        > special make rules for it. See that the file src/os_mac.rsr.hqx is
        > found.

        Interesting. This file exists in the archive, and when unzipped via
        unzip -L. It does not exist when unzipped through Stuffit Expander
        (as is the default for most OS X browsers).

        > Other than that I can't help at the moment, other than to say that on
        > the latest snapshot I have (223) the resource file is alive and well.
        > The snapshot compiles fine at least on OS X 10.4. Makefiles should
        > not work differently in 10.3 either :)

        Well, that helped, anyway. I'm a bit confused by the behaviour of Stuffit.

        Thanks,
        Chris Allen
      • Jussi Hagman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2006
          On 14.3.2006, at 13:08, Chris Allen wrote:
          > On 3/14/06, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
          >> I'm puzzled. os_mac.rsr.hqx is a binary encoded resource file that we
          >> use in the mac GUI version of vim. There is and should not be any
          >> special make rules for it. See that the file src/os_mac.rsr.hqx is
          >> found.
          >
          > Interesting. This file exists in the archive, and when unzipped via
          > unzip -L. It does not exist when unzipped through Stuffit Expander
          > (as is the default for most OS X browsers).

          Oh, Stuffit. :) I had completely blocked it from my conscious mind.
          It does not ship with OS X 10.4 any more and there is actually no
          reason for using it with zips on 10.3 either. Finder can expand them
          better and faster.

          > Well, that helped, anyway. I'm a bit confused by the behaviour of
          > Stuffit.

          Stuffit is a bit weird, I used to hate it so much when using 10.3
          that I actually hacked together a really small application that I
          could use to unarchive .tar files instead of stuffit. If you are
          interested you can find it on my (very outdated) homepage and try it
          out.

          And if you are really interested I could send you the crappy code so
          you could make it better :)

          Greetings,
          Jussi

        • Chris Allen
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2006
            On 3/14/06, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
            > Oh, Stuffit. :) I had completely blocked it from my conscious mind.
            > It does not ship with OS X 10.4 any more and there is actually no
            > reason for using it with zips on 10.3 either. Finder can expand them
            > better and faster.

            Really? I didn't know that. Of course, the command line utilities
            are always perfectly, good, too.

            > Stuffit is a bit weird, I used to hate it so much when using 10.3
            > that I actually hacked together a really small application that I
            > could use to unarchive .tar files instead of stuffit. If you are
            > interested you can find it on my (very outdated) homepage and try it
            > out.

            Thanks, I'll pass, though. I think I'll stick with just taking
            Stuffit out back for its rather over-due appointment with the bit
            bucket.

            Thanks,
            Chris Allen