how to reset vi -i option

  • mythily
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2006
      hi,
      I'm having the Vim6.2.It was working fine for these adys. But i'm trying to
      copy a file from one location to other using java program.Today i got the
      fault as

      quote:

      Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
      Segmentation fault

      But i can execute the proram and it can copy the files.But after that i
      couldn't able to enter into vi editor.
      And also i used vi -i option.It show some alert msg as "cant overwrite
      ././.viminfo!" Pls tell me the way to recover it.

      Thanks in Advance,
      Mythily.

      Sent from the Vim - Mac forum at Nabble.com.
    • Chris Allen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2006
        On 3/9/06, mythily <smythily@...> wrote:

        This one has languished here long enough, I'll have a stab at it.

        > But i can execute the proram and it can copy the files.But after that i
        > couldn't able to enter into vi editor.

        Okay, so, your basic problem is that you've got a file somewhere, and
        then when you try to open it with vim then you get a segmentation
        fault? Or do you simply get a segmentation fault whenever you try to
        start vim *at all*?

        I'm not seeing what relevance any other random program (Java or
        otherwise) may have to your problem.

        > And also i used vi -i option.It show some alert msg as "cant overwrite
        > ././.viminfo!" Pls tell me the way to recover it.

        That's a very strange message. I do not understand why you are
        telling it to use a viminfo file stored in ././.viminfo, which is the
        same location as ./.viminfo or even just .viminfo.

        It sounds like you do not have write permission for your .viminfo
        file. You can check this with "ls -l /path/to/your/.viminfo" in the
        Terminal command line. If that is the problem then you just need to
        adjust your permissions with chmod.

        HTH,
        Chris Allen