Re: vim for OS X/Intel?

  • Bernhard Prümmer
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18 4:39 PM
      Am 19.02.2006 um 01:00 schrieb Jussi Hagman:

      > On 18.2.2006, at 23:39, Bernhard Prümmer wrote:
      >>
      >> I do own an iMac Core-Duo;
      >
      > Great!
      >
      >> And of course, I am willing to do some testing because the PowerPC
      >> version
      >> from the macvim homepage shows some serious misbehaviour on my
      >> intel mac:
      >> At first sight, it runs well under Rosetta, but when you try to
      >> save a file
      >> you edit, vim is VERY likely to crash (with the system wishing to
      >
      > Could you provide me with the relevant entry in the crashlog[1]? I
      > probably won't be able to fix it but it would be interesting to see
      > what is happening.

      Ah-ha! I just tried to reproduce the effects I saw last month but was
      unable to get them again.
      Hmm, I updated the iMac to 10.4.5 recently ... could it have been a
      kind of rosetta bug?
      Anyway, I'll send you the requested files, still might be useful.

      >> Anyway, it was so annoying that I decided to download the sources
      >> from macvim.org and build a native version myself. To my surprise,
      >> the source code has no mac-specific stuff, so I created an X11
      >> version that runs quite well, except for some lack in comfort.
      >
      > Mac specific stuff should be there (os_mac.c, gui_mac.c :) maybe
      > the configure script did not understand that you are running a mac.

      I checked the origin of the source files again: http://www.vim.org/
      download.php (section "version 6.x")
      So, they were not from the macvim homepage.

      >> I'll download it and let you know how it works. If you tell me how
      >> you built
      >> this version, I'm going try it on my machine and see if this makes
      >> a difference.

      I tinkered with a few text files the way I usually do - nothing
      strange encountered.
      Even the "About VIM" item from the "Vim" menu does not work - exactly
      like the PowerPC version.
      The only deviation from Benji's version so far is that your Vim icon
      lacks the "im" ... ;-)

      > [1] The file is in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Vim.crash.log and
      > send it to me, preferably only the relevant entry but if there are
      > different things you could send the whole file. You can also use /
      > Applications/Utilities/Console.app or your favourite editor to look
      > at the file.
      Guess what editor this might be ... ;-)

      Regards
      Bernhard
    • Jussi Hagman
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 19 7:07 AM
        On 19.2.2006, at 2:39, Bernhard Prümmer wrote:

        > Am 19.02.2006 um 01:00 schrieb Jussi Hagman:
        >

        >> On 18.2.2006, at 23:39, Bernhard Prümmer wrote:
        >>
        > Ah-ha! I just tried to reproduce the effects I saw last month but
        > was unable to get them again.
        > Hmm, I updated the iMac to 10.4.5 recently ... could it have been a
        > kind of rosetta bug?
        > Anyway, I'll send you the requested files, still might be useful.

        I looked at the file and firstly it is quite hard to say anything,
        Rosetta does make them harder to interpret, but I guess you are
        correct. It is quite likely a Rosetta bug.

        > I checked the origin of the source files again: http://www.vim.org/
        > download.php (section "version 6.x")
        > So, they were not from the macvim homepage.

        OK. The unix archive of sources does apparently not include the
        files, CVS is the way to go. :)

        > I tinkered with a few text files the way I usually do - nothing
        > strange encountered.
        > Even the "About VIM" item from the "Vim" menu does not work -
        > exactly like the PowerPC version.
        > The only deviation from Benji's version so far is that your Vim
        > icon lacks the "im" ... ;-)

        OK :) Good to hear. If you have the time it would be nice (from a mac
        user's point of view, not vim user's) if you could test how much
        faster the the native code is compared to Rosetta. But then again, I
        rarely have any problems with vim speed (apart from some OS X
        specific issues that probably are not affected that much by Rosetta)

        I could try to make some patches to allow the compilation on intel
        macs later today or tomorrow. I'd be grateful if you could be my
        guinea pig to try to compile vim on intel mac after the changes.

        I guess the compilation (of the mac gui version) does not work at the
        moment even on intel based mac without removing the lines I talked
        about earlier.

        >> [1] The file is in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Vim.crash.log and
        >> send it to me, preferably only the relevant entry but if there are
        >> different things you could send the whole file. You can also use /
        >> Applications/Utilities/Console.app or your favourite editor to
        >> look at the file.
        > Guess what editor this might be ... ;-)

        Hmm... emacs? :)

        Greetings,