Re: possible bug with symbolic links

  • Dave Price
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2006
      Thank you -

      Is vim.org's site the right place to get this? In binary form?

      --
      aloha,
      dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2006
        You can get binaries for OS X/PPC at

        http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Downloading

        With any luck, we will have binaries for OS X 10.4/Intel as soon as I
        find some time for it.

        HTH --Benji Fisher

        On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:16:09AM -0700, Dave Price wrote:
        > Thank you -
        >
        > Is vim.org's site the right place to get this? In binary form?
        >
        > On 1/25/06, Chris Allen <c.d.allen@...> wrote:
        > > Unfortunately, Apple opted to ship a version of Vim which was ancient
        > > even when 10.3 was released. The problem you describe is definitely
        > > fixed in Vim 6.4 -- I would recommend upgrading at least that high.
        > --
        > aloha,
        > dave
      • Chris Allen
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14, 2006
          On 3/14/06, Dave Price <kinaole@...> wrote:
          > I finally got around to installing the 6.4 binaries - the problem is
          > still there - whether started as gvim or vi (symlinked to the gvim
          > script).

          Well, that's interesting. I've just re-checked that I checked
          properly, and it definitely works correctly for me:

          sylph:~ chrisa$ export VIM64=/Users/chrisa/Code/64vim/src/Vim
          sylph:~ chrisa$ echo "This is test file 1" > test_file1.txt
          sylph:~ chrisa$ ln -s test_file1.txt link_1.txt
          sylph:~ chrisa$ $VIM64 "+normal o" "+normal G" "+normal iThis is text
          inserted through link_1.txt" +wq link_1.txt
          sylph:~ chrisa$ diff test_file1.txt link_1.txt
          sylph:~ chrisa$ ls -l *1*
          lrwxr-xr-x 1 chrisa chrisa 14 14 Mar 12:51 link_1.txt -> test_file1.txt
          -rw-r--r-- 1 chrisa chrisa 61 14 Mar 12:57 test_file1.txt
          sylph:~ chrisa$ cat *1*
          This is test file 1
          This is text inserted through link_1.txt
          This is test file 1
          This is text inserted through link_1.txt
          sylph:~ chrisa$

          > If I edit a file which is a symlink, saving the changes replaces the
          > symlink with a real file, and leaves the link target unchanged.

          I wonder if this is some strange behaviour from a plugin or an option
          you've got set. Does this still happen if you start Vim with the -u
          NONE -U NONE options? The behaviour does not change for me with these

          sylph:~ chrisa$ $VIM64 -u NONE -U NONE "+normal o" "+normal G"
          "+normal iThis is text inserted through link_1.txt" +wq link_1.txt
          sylph:~ chrisa$ diff *1*
          sylph:~ chrisa$

          For comparison, my test version of 6.4 is:

          sylph:~ chrisa$ $VIM64 --version
          VIM - Vi IMproved 6.4 (2005 Oct 15, compiled Mar 14 2006 12:44:50)
          MacOS X (unix) version
          Compiled by chrisa@...
          Huge version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
          +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
          -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
          +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
          +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
          +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap
          +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
          +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
          -mouse_netterm -mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg -osfiletype
          +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
          +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
          +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
          +textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
          +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
          -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
          system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
          user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
          user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
          system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
          user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
          fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
          Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MAC -arch
          ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas
          -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -DMACOS_X_UNIX
          -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
          Linking:
          gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv

          Which I rolled on my own.

          > A minor bug, but it does drive subversion bonkers.

          Indeed, very serious mis-behaviour, really. If you can test it with
          -u NONE and -U NONE and post us a :version dump then perhaps we can
          find out what causes it.

          HTH,
          Chris Allen