Re: possible bug with symbolic links

  • Chris Allen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2006
      On 25/01/06, Dave Price <kinaole@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am running vim 6.2 on Mac 10.3 (panther). I am storing all files
      > locally on the native powerbook hard drive.

      Unfortunately, Apple opted to ship a version of Vim which was ancient
      even when 10.3 was released. The problem you describe is definitely
      fixed in Vim 6.4 -- I would recommend upgrading at least that high.

      HTH,
      Chris Allen
    • Dave Price
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2006
        Thank you -

        Is vim.org's site the right place to get this? In binary form?

        --
        aloha,
        dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2006
          You can get binaries for OS X/PPC at

          http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Downloading

          With any luck, we will have binaries for OS X 10.4/Intel as soon as I
          find some time for it.

          HTH --Benji Fisher

          On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:16:09AM -0700, Dave Price wrote:
          > Thank you -
          >
          > Is vim.org's site the right place to get this? In binary form?
          >
          > On 1/25/06, Chris Allen <c.d.allen@...> wrote:
          > > Unfortunately, Apple opted to ship a version of Vim which was ancient
          > > even when 10.3 was released. The problem you describe is definitely
          > > fixed in Vim 6.4 -- I would recommend upgrading at least that high.
          > --
          > aloha,
          > dave
        • Chris Allen
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14 5:04 AM
            On 3/14/06, Dave Price <kinaole@...> wrote:
            > I finally got around to installing the 6.4 binaries - the problem is
            > still there - whether started as gvim or vi (symlinked to the gvim
            > script).

            Well, that's interesting. I've just re-checked that I checked
            properly, and it definitely works correctly for me:

            sylph:~ chrisa$ export VIM64=/Users/chrisa/Code/64vim/src/Vim
            sylph:~ chrisa$ echo "This is test file 1" > test_file1.txt
            sylph:~ chrisa$ ln -s test_file1.txt link_1.txt
            sylph:~ chrisa$ $VIM64 "+normal o" "+normal G" "+normal iThis is text
            inserted through link_1.txt" +wq link_1.txt
            sylph:~ chrisa$ diff test_file1.txt link_1.txt
            sylph:~ chrisa$ ls -l *1*
            lrwxr-xr-x 1 chrisa chrisa 14 14 Mar 12:51 link_1.txt -> test_file1.txt
            -rw-r--r-- 1 chrisa chrisa 61 14 Mar 12:57 test_file1.txt
            sylph:~ chrisa$ cat *1*
            This is test file 1
            This is text inserted through link_1.txt
            This is test file 1
            This is text inserted through link_1.txt
            sylph:~ chrisa$

            > If I edit a file which is a symlink, saving the changes replaces the
            > symlink with a real file, and leaves the link target unchanged.

            I wonder if this is some strange behaviour from a plugin or an option
            you've got set. Does this still happen if you start Vim with the -u
            NONE -U NONE options? The behaviour does not change for me with these

            sylph:~ chrisa$ $VIM64 -u NONE -U NONE "+normal o" "+normal G"
            "+normal iThis is text inserted through link_1.txt" +wq link_1.txt
            sylph:~ chrisa$ diff *1*
            sylph:~ chrisa$

            For comparison, my test version of 6.4 is:

            sylph:~ chrisa$ $VIM64 --version
            VIM - Vi IMproved 6.4 (2005 Oct 15, compiled Mar 14 2006 12:44:50)
            MacOS X (unix) version
            Compiled by chrisa@...
            Huge version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
            +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
            -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
            +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
            +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
            +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap
            +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
            +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
            -mouse_netterm -mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg -osfiletype
            +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
            +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
            +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
            +textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
            +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
            -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
            system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
            user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
            user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
            system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
            user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
            fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
            Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MAC -arch
            ppc -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas
            -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -DMACOS_X_UNIX
            -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2
            Linking:
            gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv

            Which I rolled on my own.

            > A minor bug, but it does drive subversion bonkers.

            Indeed, very serious mis-behaviour, really. If you can test it with
            -u NONE and -U NONE and post us a :version dump then perhaps we can
            find out what causes it.

            HTH,
            Chris Allen