vim for OS X/Intel?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
      As the maintainer of the binaries on http://macvim.org/OSX/ I guess
      it is my job to compile for OS X on Intel-based Macs.

      Help!

      Does anyone know how to cross-compile, or make a "universal"
      binary, without using the XCode GUI? Is it currently possible to
      compile vim *with* XCode? Who is going to be the first on the block to
      buy an Intel-based Mac and test it?

      --Benji Fisher

      P.S. I was going to jokingly ask whether anyone wanted to donate a new
      Mac to me. Then I remembered the grief I had with OS X 10.0 on my
      Titanium PowerBook. I do not feel like being an "early adopter" this
      time around!
    • Trenton Schulz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2006
        On Jan 12, 2006, at 7:06 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > As the maintainer of the binaries on http://macvim.org/OSX/ I
        > guess
        > it is my job to compile for OS X on Intel-based Macs.
        >
        > Help!
        >
        > Does anyone know how to cross-compile, or make a "universal"
        > binary, without using the XCode GUI? Is it currently possible to
        > compile vim *with* XCode? Who is going to be the first on the
        > block to
        > buy an Intel-based Mac and test it?

        Apple has posted a tech note that should be relevant:

        http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

        Otherwise, I don't think the current Project Builder file included
        with vim works anymore. I toyed with the idea of trying to make an
        Xcode-based one (if only for getting a PCH and stuff) but quickly
        abandoned it. Besides the editor in Xcode is so sub-par compared to
        vim (and the vi integration leaves a lot to be desired) why would you
        want to use it? :)

        Good luck,

        -- Trenton
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2006
          On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 12:04:39AM +1100, Tom Birch wrote:
          > I've got a DTK (the developer machine, not a new one announced
          > yesterday), it doesn't compile now because of dependency on
          > quickdraw, which hasn't been ported to intel, so i guess the first
          > job is to get rid of that, if you send me stuff i'll be happy to
          > spend some time compiling/debugging but unfortunately I can't give
          > you an account as that would involve giving you access to our login
          > server
          >
          > cheers,
          > Tom

          The list of credits at http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Credits may
          be a little out of date, but this part is still correct:

          This site, including some of the binaries here, is maintained by
          Benji Fisher. That is all I do: I am not competent to program
          for the Mac,

          In other words, someone else has to get the code to the point where
          "make" will work; I can take it from there. Perhaps I should repeat:

          Help!

          On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 02:06:25PM +0100, Trenton Schulz wrote:

          > Apple has posted a tech note that should be relevant:
          >
          > http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

          Thanks, that looks like a good place to start. I can handle adding
          a few options to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS. I have not tried it yet, but if I
          understand Tom correctly, it will not work without some changes to the
          code first.

          > Otherwise, I don't think the current Project Builder file included
          > with vim works anymore. I toyed with the idea of trying to make an
          > Xcode-based one (if only for getting a PCH and stuff) but quickly
          > abandoned it. Besides the editor in Xcode is so sub-par compared to
          > vim (and the vi integration leaves a lot to be desired) why would you
          > want to use it? :)
          >
          > Good luck,
          >
          > -- Trenton

          The only reason I considered using Xcode is that it might be the
          easiest way to cross-compile, or create a "universal" binary.

          --Benji Fisher
        • Trenton Schulz
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 13, 2006
            On Jan 13, 2006, at 6:12 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 12:04:39AM +1100, Tom Birch wrote:
            >> I've got a DTK (the developer machine, not a new one announced
            >> yesterday), it doesn't compile now because of dependency on
            >> quickdraw, which hasn't been ported to intel, so i guess the first
            >> job is to get rid of that, if you send me stuff i'll be happy to
            >> spend some time compiling/debugging but unfortunately I can't give
            >> you an account as that would involve giving you access to our login
            >> server
            >>
            >> cheers,
            >> Tom
            >
            > The list of credits at http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Credits
            > may
            > be a little out of date, but this part is still correct:
            >
            > This site, including some of the binaries here, is maintained by
            > Benji Fisher. That is all I do: I am not competent to program
            > for the Mac,
            >
            > In other words, someone else has to get the code to the point where
            > "make" will work; I can take it from there. Perhaps I should repeat:
            >
            > Help!
            >
            > On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 02:06:25PM +0100, Trenton Schulz wrote:
            >>
            >> Apple has posted a tech note that should be relevant:
            >>
            >> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html
            >
            > Thanks, that looks like a good place to start. I can handle
            > adding
            > a few options to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS. I have not tried it yet, but
            > if I
            > understand Tom correctly, it will not work without some changes to the
            > code first.

            I would give it a shot at first. QuickDraw is certainly deprecated,
            but I find it hard to believe that they removed it from the Intel
            Mac's. They would need to have it working for Rosetta at least. And I
            can't believe that Apple would be so arrogant to remove the library
            in a minor OS release.

            >> Otherwise, I don't think the current Project Builder file included
            >> with vim works anymore. I toyed with the idea of trying to make an
            >> Xcode-based one (if only for getting a PCH and stuff) but quickly
            >> abandoned it. Besides the editor in Xcode is so sub-par compared to
            >> vim (and the vi integration leaves a lot to be desired) why would you
            >> want to use it? :)
            >>
            >> Good luck,
            >>
            >> -- Trenton
            >
            > The only reason I considered using Xcode is that it might be the
            > easiest way to cross-compile, or create a "universal" binary.

            Everything that Xcode does can be done on the command line (well, OK,
            most of it). I'd try what's suggested in the tech note. If things
            don't work, then there would be an estimation as to how much work is
            needed to get further.

            Bien Suerte!

            -- Trenton
          • Stephen Riehm
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 13, 2006
              Hi guys, Benji,

              before I go too far, I have to say that i have a: never written any
              carbon code and b: don't know my way around the vim code.

              But before my beloved vim becomes obsolete, I'll stand up and fight
              with the best of them :-)

              So on the positive side, I can offer two G4's - one in a powerbook
              and one in a mac mini - and a whole lot of unix/C/perl/make experience.

              I too think that an xcode project would be the way to go - anyone who
              wants to compile anything on a mac has to install the developer
              package anyway, so then it's just a matter of click and go.

              Since I'm so 'out of it' I'd appreciate some starting pointers (I'll
              look through the technote you provided) and it'd be good if there was
              someone prepared to test whatever I produce. Even better would be if
              there were more than one of us doing the dirty work :-)

              So to sum up, count me in, but I'd be happier if a mac/vim aficionado
              was standing by.

              Cheers,

              Steve

              On 13.01.2006, at 09:59, Trenton Schulz wrote:

              > On Jan 13, 2006, at 6:12 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
              >
              >> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 12:04:39AM +1100, Tom Birch wrote:
              >>> I've got a DTK (the developer machine, not a new one announced
              >>> yesterday), it doesn't compile now because of dependency on
              >>> quickdraw, which hasn't been ported to intel, so i guess the first
              >>> job is to get rid of that, if you send me stuff i'll be happy to
              >>> spend some time compiling/debugging but unfortunately I can't give
              >>> you an account as that would involve giving you access to our login
              >>> server
              >>>
              >>> cheers,
              >>> Tom
              >>
              >> The list of credits at http://macvim.org/OSX/
              >> index.php#Credits may
              >> be a little out of date, but this part is still correct:
              >>
              >> This site, including some of the binaries here, is maintained by
              >> Benji Fisher. That is all I do: I am not competent to program
              >> for the Mac,
              >>
              >> In other words, someone else has to get the code to the point where
              >> "make" will work; I can take it from there. Perhaps I should repeat:
              >>
              >> Help!
              >>
              >> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 02:06:25PM +0100, Trenton Schulz wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Apple has posted a tech note that should be relevant:
              >>>
              >>> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html
              >>
              >> Thanks, that looks like a good place to start. I can handle
              >> adding
              >> a few options to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS. I have not tried it yet, but
              >> if I
              >> understand Tom correctly, it will not work without some changes to
              >> the
              >> code first.
              >
              > I would give it a shot at first. QuickDraw is certainly deprecated,
              > but I find it hard to believe that they removed it from the Intel
              > Mac's. They would need to have it working for Rosetta at least. And
              > I can't believe that Apple would be so arrogant to remove the
              > library in a minor OS release.
              >

              >>> Otherwise, I don't think the current Project Builder file included
              >>> with vim works anymore. I toyed with the idea of trying to make an
              >>> Xcode-based one (if only for getting a PCH and stuff) but quickly
              >>> abandoned it. Besides the editor in Xcode is so sub-par compared to
              >>> vim (and the vi integration leaves a lot to be desired) why would
              >>> you
              >>> want to use it? :)
              >>>
              >>> Good luck,
              >>>
              >>> -- Trenton
              >>
              >> The only reason I considered using Xcode is that it might be the
              >> easiest way to cross-compile, or create a "universal" binary.
              >
              > Everything that Xcode does can be done on the command line (well,
              > OK, most of it). I'd try what's suggested in the tech note. If
              > things don't work, then there would be an estimation as to how much
              > work is needed to get further.
              >
              > Bien Suerte!
              >
              > -- Trenton

              Steve
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
                On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:09:00PM +0100, Stephen Riehm wrote:
                > Hi guys, Benji,

                Hi, Steve.

                > before I go too far, I have to say that i have a: never written any
                > carbon code and b: don't know my way around the vim code.
                >
                > But before my beloved vim becomes obsolete, I'll stand up and fight
                > with the best of them :-)

                I do not think there is any danger of that. Unless autoconf is
                seriously broken on OS X/Intel, anyone who owns one of the new machines
                should be able to compile vim on it. (One thing that worries me is that
                there may be places in the code where #ifdef's are used to deal with
                big-endian vs. little-endian architectures, and that may have to be
                changed.) The only issue I see is how soon we will be able to provide
                ready-to-run binaries for those who prefer not to compile for
                themselves. (My wife is already talking about replacing our PowerBook
                G4, but we will probably wait for the price to come down and maybe OS X
                10.5.1 or so, so I do not expect to be the first on this list with an
                Intel Mac.)

                > So on the positive side, I can offer two G4's - one in a powerbook
                > and one in a mac mini - and a whole lot of unix/C/perl/make experience.
                >
                > I too think that an xcode project would be the way to go - anyone who
                > wants to compile anything on a mac has to install the developer
                > package anyway, so then it's just a matter of click and go.

                I am not sure that Xcode is the way to go, but maybe it is. Anyone
                who installs the developer package also has gcc, make, and autoconf as
                well. If you do work on getting Xcode to work, please give instructions
                for command-line (non-GUI) compilation using Xcode. I, for one, like
                being able to automate the process, so I am not interested in GUI
                compilation.

                > Since I'm so 'out of it' I'd appreciate some starting pointers (I'll
                > look through the technote you provided) and it'd be good if there was
                > someone prepared to test whatever I produce. Even better would be if
                > there were more than one of us doing the dirty work :-)

                If you want to work on Xcode, there are two steps: converting to
                Xcode and then compiling for Intel. Plenty of us can help test the
                first step; we can worry about testing Step 2 once Step 1 is working.

                The structure is already in place for Project Builder. It should
                be possible to convert that to Xcode; look into the Apple docs for how
                to do that. I hope there is a way to convert directly to Xcode 2.1. If
                worst comes to worst, my PowerBook is still running OS X 10.3 and (I
                think) Xcode 1.0, so we should be able to convert PB to Xcode 1.0 to
                Xcode 2.1.

                Unless you change your mind and decide to stick with autoconf/make,
                I suggest you start there.

                > So to sum up, count me in, but I'd be happier if a mac/vim aficionado
                > was standing by.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Steve

                --Benji Fisher
              • Jussi Hagman
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 18, 2006
                  On 12.1.2006, at 8:06, Benji Fisher wrote:

                  > As the maintainer of the binaries on http://macvim.org/OSX/ I guess
                  > it is my job to compile for OS X on Intel-based Macs.

                  Good to hear that you take your job seriously! :)

                  > Does anyone know how to cross-compile, or make a "universal"
                  > binary, without using the XCode GUI?

                  Yes.

                  > Is it currently possible to compile vim *with* XCode?

                  I doubt it, haven't tried for a while though.

                  > Who is going to be the first on the block to buy an Intel-based Mac and
                  > test it?

                  I don't have an intel mac yet (and won't have one for a while I guess)
                  but I've just used a few hours for a good cause in a bar drinking wine
                  and tweaking+compiling manually an universal binary of vim 6.4. A friend
                  tried it briefly on an intel-iMac he has loaned from Apple for a review.
                  He unfortunately does not know vim well so he was unable to do any real
                  testing.

                  I'll try to find time later this weekend to document the (stupid) way I
                  did it. :)

                  I'm not claiming that this is a properly working version but if anyone
                  has an intel mac please test it and Benji, if you like you can add it to
                  macvim.org but only with a note that it is not a properly tested
                  version.

                  You can find the universal version of vim 6.4 here:

                  http://infa.abo.fi/~jhagman/vim-universal-test.zip

                  Greetings,
                  Jussi

                • Bernhard Prümmer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 18, 2006
                    Am 18.02.2006 um 21:20 schrieb Jussi Hagman:

                    >> Who is going to be the first on the block to buy an Intel-based
                    >> Mac and
                    >> test it?
                    >
                    > I don't have an intel mac yet (and won't have one for a while I guess)
                    > but I've just used a few hours for a good cause in a bar drinking wine
                    > and tweaking+compiling manually an universal binary of vim 6.4. A
                    > friend
                    > tried it briefly on an intel-iMac he has loaned from Apple for a
                    > review.
                    > He unfortunately does not know vim well so he was unable to do any
                    > real
                    > testing.
                    >
                    > I'll try to find time later this weekend to document the (stupid)
                    > way I
                    > did it. :)

                    I do own an iMac Core-Duo; I decided it was time for a new Mac at the
                    beginning
                    of this year, and thought it should be wise to wait for Steve's
                    keynote on
                    Jan. 10th. So, now it's an Intel-based iMac instead of an iMac G5.
                    And of course, I am willing to do some testing because the PowerPC
                    version
                    from the macvim homepage shows some serious misbehaviour on my intel
                    mac:
                    At first sight, it runs well under Rosetta, but when you try to save
                    a file
                    you edit, vim is VERY likely to crash (with the system wishing to
                    the usual way). Interestingly, vim has no problems to create and use
                    swap files
                    in the same directory while you edit. [ ??? :-( ]
                    Anyway, it was so annoying that I decided to download the sources
                    from macvim.org and
                    build a native version myself. To my surprise, the source code has no
                    mac-specific stuff,
                    so I created an X11 version that runs quite well, except for some
                    lack in comfort.

                    > I'm not claiming that this is a properly working version but if anyone
                    > has an intel mac please test it and Benji, if you like you can add
                    > it to
                    > macvim.org but only with a note that it is not a properly tested
                    > version.
                    >
                    > You can find the universal version of vim 6.4 here:
                    >
                    > http://infa.abo.fi/~jhagman/vim-universal-test.zip

                    I'll download it and let you know how it works. If you tell me how
                    you built
                    this version, I'm going try it on my machine and see if this makes a
                    difference.

                    > Greetings,
                    > Jussi

                    Cheers
                    Bernhard
                  • Jussi Hagman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 18, 2006
                      On 18.2.2006, at 23:39, Bernhard Prümmer wrote:

                      > I do own an iMac Core-Duo;

                      Great!

                      > And of course, I am willing to do some testing because the PowerPC
                      > version
                      > from the macvim homepage shows some serious misbehaviour on my
                      > intel mac:
                      > At first sight, it runs well under Rosetta, but when you try to
                      > save a file
                      > you edit, vim is VERY likely to crash (with the system wishing to

                      Could you provide me with the relevant entry in the crashlog[1]? I
                      probably won't be able to fix it but it would be interesting to see
                      what is happening.

                      > Anyway, it was so annoying that I decided to download the sources
                      > from macvim.org and build a native version myself. To my surprise,
                      > the source code has no mac-specific stuff, so I created an X11
                      > version that runs quite well, except for some lack in comfort.

                      Mac specific stuff should be there (os_mac.c, gui_mac.c :) maybe the
                      configure script did not understand that you are running a mac.

                      > I'll download it and let you know how it works. If you tell me how
                      > you built
                      > this version, I'm going try it on my machine and see if this makes
                      > a difference.

                      The process was following: (I hope the commands do not break in wrong
                      places, I've got no control over that with Apple's mail:(

                      Get the latest vim source from CVS:
                      cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:80/cvsroot/vim
                      checkout vim

                      cd vim

                      Edit src/os_mac.h by removing lines 97-99:

                      # if !__option(enumsalwaysint)
                      # error "You must compile with enums always int!"
                      # endif

                      THIS IS A DIRTY HACK! The whole file should be checked for
                      assumptions that !PPC == 68k.

                      Run configure and make
                      export CFLAGS="-O -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch
                      i386 -arch ppc"
                      ./configure --disable-dependency-tracking --enable-multibyte --
                      enable-gui=carbon
                      make

                      (there are quite many warnings but let's ignore them for now)

                      Removethe binary as it links only for PPC (or probably Intel on your
                      machine) and link it by hand:
                      cd src
                      rm vim

                      (the next is one command and it is unindented for easier copy+paste)

                      gcc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 \
                      -arch ppc -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim objects/buffer.o objects/charset.o \
                      objects/diff.o objects/digraph.o objects/edit.o objects/eval.o \
                      objects/ex_cmds.o objects/ex_cmds2.o objects/ex_docmd.o \
                      objects/ex_eval.o objects/ex_getln.o objects/fileio.o objects/fold.o \
                      objects/getchar.o objects/if_cscope.o objects/if_xcmdsrv.o objects/
                      main.o \
                      objects/mark.o objects/memfile.o objects/memline.o objects/menu.o \
                      objects/message.o objects/misc1.o objects/misc2.o objects/move.o \
                      objects/mbyte.o objects/normal.o objects/ops.o objects/option.o \
                      objects/os_unix.o objects/pathdef.o objects/quickfix.o objects/
                      regexp.o \
                      objects/screen.o objects/search.o objects/syntax.o objects/tag.o
                      objects/term.o \
                      objects/ui.o objects/undo.o objects/window.o objects/gui.o objects/
                      gui_mac.o \
                      objects/pty.o objects/os_macosx.o objects/netbeans.o objects/version.o \
                      -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv

                      This is also a HACK. I copied the command from the make output (it's
                      right in the end) and I added a few flags.

                      check that the file is indeed an universal (optional step :)
                      $ file vim
                      vim: Mach-O fat file with 2 architectures
                      vim (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
                      vim (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc

                      make the application bundle

                      cd ..
                      make install

                      The application bundle is in src directory as Vim.app

                      I hope this helps you and others. If there are any problems feel free
                      to contact me by mail, IM or Skype. It would be great to fix the
                      compilation, some other things and make a patch for Bram.

                      Greetings,
                      Jussi

                      [1] The file is in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Vim.crash.log and
                      send it to me, preferably only the relevant entry but if there are
                      different things you could send the whole file. You can also use /
                      Applications/Utilities/Console.app or your favourite editor to look
                      at the file.

                    • Bernhard Prümmer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 18, 2006
                        Am 19.02.2006 um 01:00 schrieb Jussi Hagman:

                        > On 18.2.2006, at 23:39, Bernhard Prümmer wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I do own an iMac Core-Duo;
                        >
                        > Great!
                        >
                        >> And of course, I am willing to do some testing because the PowerPC
                        >> version
                        >> from the macvim homepage shows some serious misbehaviour on my
                        >> intel mac:
                        >> At first sight, it runs well under Rosetta, but when you try to
                        >> save a file
                        >> you edit, vim is VERY likely to crash (with the system wishing to
                        >
                        > Could you provide me with the relevant entry in the crashlog[1]? I
                        > probably won't be able to fix it but it would be interesting to see
                        > what is happening.

                        Ah-ha! I just tried to reproduce the effects I saw last month but was
                        unable to get them again.
                        Hmm, I updated the iMac to 10.4.5 recently ... could it have been a
                        kind of rosetta bug?
                        Anyway, I'll send you the requested files, still might be useful.

                        >> Anyway, it was so annoying that I decided to download the sources
                        >> from macvim.org and build a native version myself. To my surprise,
                        >> the source code has no mac-specific stuff, so I created an X11
                        >> version that runs quite well, except for some lack in comfort.
                        >
                        > Mac specific stuff should be there (os_mac.c, gui_mac.c :) maybe
                        > the configure script did not understand that you are running a mac.

                        I checked the origin of the source files again: http://www.vim.org/
                        download.php (section "version 6.x")
                        So, they were not from the macvim homepage.

                        >> I'll download it and let you know how it works. If you tell me how
                        >> you built
                        >> this version, I'm going try it on my machine and see if this makes
                        >> a difference.

                        I tinkered with a few text files the way I usually do - nothing
                        strange encountered.
                        Even the "About VIM" item from the "Vim" menu does not work - exactly
                        like the PowerPC version.
                        The only deviation from Benji's version so far is that your Vim icon
                        lacks the "im" ... ;-)

                        > [1] The file is in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Vim.crash.log and
                        > send it to me, preferably only the relevant entry but if there are
                        > different things you could send the whole file. You can also use /
                        > Applications/Utilities/Console.app or your favourite editor to look
                        > at the file.
                        Guess what editor this might be ... ;-)

                        Regards
                        Bernhard
                      • Jussi Hagman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 19, 2006
                          On 19.2.2006, at 2:39, Bernhard Prümmer wrote:

                          > Am 19.02.2006 um 01:00 schrieb Jussi Hagman:
                          >

                          >> On 18.2.2006, at 23:39, Bernhard Prümmer wrote:
                          >>
                          > Ah-ha! I just tried to reproduce the effects I saw last month but
                          > was unable to get them again.
                          > Hmm, I updated the iMac to 10.4.5 recently ... could it have been a
                          > kind of rosetta bug?
                          > Anyway, I'll send you the requested files, still might be useful.

                          I looked at the file and firstly it is quite hard to say anything,
                          Rosetta does make them harder to interpret, but I guess you are
                          correct. It is quite likely a Rosetta bug.

                          > I checked the origin of the source files again: http://www.vim.org/
                          > download.php (section "version 6.x")
                          > So, they were not from the macvim homepage.

                          OK. The unix archive of sources does apparently not include the
                          files, CVS is the way to go. :)

                          > I tinkered with a few text files the way I usually do - nothing
                          > strange encountered.
                          > Even the "About VIM" item from the "Vim" menu does not work -
                          > exactly like the PowerPC version.
                          > The only deviation from Benji's version so far is that your Vim
                          > icon lacks the "im" ... ;-)

                          OK :) Good to hear. If you have the time it would be nice (from a mac
                          user's point of view, not vim user's) if you could test how much
                          faster the the native code is compared to Rosetta. But then again, I
                          rarely have any problems with vim speed (apart from some OS X
                          specific issues that probably are not affected that much by Rosetta)

                          I could try to make some patches to allow the compilation on intel
                          macs later today or tomorrow. I'd be grateful if you could be my
                          guinea pig to try to compile vim on intel mac after the changes.

                          I guess the compilation (of the mac gui version) does not work at the
                          moment even on intel based mac without removing the lines I talked
                          about earlier.

                          >> [1] The file is in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Vim.crash.log and
                          >> send it to me, preferably only the relevant entry but if there are
                          >> different things you could send the whole file. You can also use /
                          >> Applications/Utilities/Console.app or your favourite editor to
                          >> look at the file.
                          > Guess what editor this might be ... ;-)

                          Hmm... emacs? :)

                          Greetings,