Re: Cocoa/Aqua port?

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
      Benji Fisher sez:
      [...]
      } I posted the binary. I would appreciate some feedback. I hope no one
      } minds too much if I repeat the announcement:
      }
      [...]
      } > Compiling issues:
      [...]
      } > 3. The terminal version, according to :version, uses
      } > /usr/local/share/vim as a "fall-back" setting for $VIM. Where is this
      } > set, for terminal and Carbon versions?

      It is a pity that the Carbon version cannot be run in a terminal. The -X
      flag (which isn't quite relevant since it refers to an X server rather than
      a GUI frontend) doesn't do it. You did not include a terminal version of
      vim, and I wish you had.

      } > Packaging issues:
      } >
      } > The Mac "Developer Tools" include a PackageBuilder.app, so I would
      } > like to use this to package the binaries together with the runtime
      } > files, and perhaps write a simple installation script. I need to decide
      } > where to install these. Any advice will be appreciated. In fact, if
      } > you succeed in installing the binary in, say, the Applications folder,
      } > please let me know how you set $VIM (or whatever you do) so that vim can
      } > find the runtime files.

      Since .app programs are, in fact, directories I would be inclined to
      install the vim files within that. I would be inclined to unify the
      different binaries (terminal, X11, Carbon/Cocoa) with symbolic links (i.e.
      the main tree is in /usr/local and there is a link within Vim.app to the
      tree, or vice versa).

      } > If I can figure out how to do this, I would like to post a package
      } > version some time next week.

      If you do, please include a terminal version as well. By the way, I
      couldn't figure out how to change the font in the Carbon version. Setting
      guifont to random guesses didn't do anything, not even an error message.

      } > --Benji Fisher
      --Greg
    • Dany St-Amant
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
        Le Mardi 6 novembre 2001, à 05:21 , Gregory Seidman a écrit :

        > Bob Ippolito sez:
        > } Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
        > } MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
        > } everything else (i.e., services work).
        >
        > There exists a Carbon version. Someone even posted a binary for me.
        > (Mount
        > the idisk for fisherbb to grab it.) I, too, would prefer Cocoa, though,
        > and
        > would even do it if I had any free time.
        >
        > } If not, I'd consider taking a look into it myself, I'm just learning
        > } objective c/cocoa, but I think I could handle it.

        Bob, if you want to try, go ahead. I don't expect to have time for a
        while
        to look at anything else than the Carbon (and pre-Carbon) port.

        All, I'm currently working on the dialog boxes (they are much cleaner
        now,
        but still miss some polish.)

        > I'd be delighted if you did. In particular, I would love to be able to
        > run
        > gvim from a shell and have it come up as quickly and easily as the
        > various
        > X11 versions.

        Greg, I do not know what you mean by 'as quickly and easily as' but for
        the
        MacOS X (unix) version of Carbon Vim you can successfully invoke
        Vim with any arguments from the command line. There's a tiny glitch
        as Vim default to the gui even with --help (as for any none gui model,
        but you said gvim, no;). I already start to look at what need to be moved
        around to avoid default to gui on MacOS X (while still keeping the old
        classic code working fine)

        I successfully did:

        ./Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -d ../gui_mac.c ../gui_mac.c.orig

        Just did an extra test case. From command line we don't have some kind
        of --remote :( But you can still drop file to the dock.

        Dany, suprised that nobody complained yet about the "swapfile" dialog box