Re: Cocoa/Aqua port?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
      Gregory Seidman wrote:

      > Bob Ippolito sez:
      > } Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
      > } MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
      > } everything else (i.e., services work).
      >
      > There exists a Carbon version. Someone even posted a binary for me. (Mount
      > the idisk for fisherbb to grab it.) I, too, would prefer Cocoa, though, and
      > would even do it if I had any free time.

      I posted the binary. I would appreciate some feedback. I hope no one
      minds too much if I repeat the announcement:

      > Vim-Mac friends:
      >
      > I have compiled and uploaded a binary of vim compiled for OS X with
      > the Carbon GUI. *** I have not tested this much at all! *** You can
      > get it from my i-disk (which I have just created):
      > http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/
      > I packaged the binary with tar and gzip. I assume you know where to get
      > the runtime files.
      >
      > Compiling issues:
      >
      > 1. I compiled a "huge" version, but I could not figure out how to
      > include +perl. I tried editing feature.h and Makefile, to no avail.
      >
      > 2. I tried to put in my name in the "Compiled by" slot, but it did not
      > seem to work. Maybe I am editing the wrong Makefile?
      >
      > 3. The terminal version, according to :version, uses
      > /usr/local/share/vim as a "fall-back" setting for $VIM. Where is this
      > set, for terminal and Carbon versions?
      >
      > Packaging issues:
      >
      > The Mac "Developer Tools" include a PackageBuilder.app, so I would
      > like to use this to package the binaries together with the runtime
      > files, and perhaps write a simple installation script. I need to decide
      > where to install these. Any advice will be appreciated. In fact, if
      > you succeed in installing the binary in, say, the Applications folder,
      > please let me know how you set $VIM (or whatever you do) so that vim can
      > find the runtime files.
      >
      > If I can figure out how to do this, I would like to post a package
      > version some time next week.
      >
      > --Benji Fisher
    • Gregory Seidman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
        Benji Fisher sez:
        [...]
        } I posted the binary. I would appreciate some feedback. I hope no one
        } minds too much if I repeat the announcement:
        }
        [...]
        } > Compiling issues:
        [...]
        } > 3. The terminal version, according to :version, uses
        } > /usr/local/share/vim as a "fall-back" setting for $VIM. Where is this
        } > set, for terminal and Carbon versions?

        It is a pity that the Carbon version cannot be run in a terminal. The -X
        flag (which isn't quite relevant since it refers to an X server rather than
        a GUI frontend) doesn't do it. You did not include a terminal version of
        vim, and I wish you had.

        } > Packaging issues:
        } >
        } > The Mac "Developer Tools" include a PackageBuilder.app, so I would
        } > like to use this to package the binaries together with the runtime
        } > files, and perhaps write a simple installation script. I need to decide
        } > where to install these. Any advice will be appreciated. In fact, if
        } > you succeed in installing the binary in, say, the Applications folder,
        } > please let me know how you set $VIM (or whatever you do) so that vim can
        } > find the runtime files.

        Since .app programs are, in fact, directories I would be inclined to
        install the vim files within that. I would be inclined to unify the
        different binaries (terminal, X11, Carbon/Cocoa) with symbolic links (i.e.
        the main tree is in /usr/local and there is a link within Vim.app to the
        tree, or vice versa).

        } > If I can figure out how to do this, I would like to post a package
        } > version some time next week.

        If you do, please include a terminal version as well. By the way, I
        couldn't figure out how to change the font in the Carbon version. Setting
        guifont to random guesses didn't do anything, not even an error message.

        } > --Benji Fisher
        --Greg
      • Dany St-Amant
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
          Le Mardi 6 novembre 2001, à 05:21 , Gregory Seidman a écrit :

          > Bob Ippolito sez:
          > } Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
          > } MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
          > } everything else (i.e., services work).
          >
          > There exists a Carbon version. Someone even posted a binary for me.
          > (Mount
          > the idisk for fisherbb to grab it.) I, too, would prefer Cocoa, though,
          > and
          > would even do it if I had any free time.
          >
          > } If not, I'd consider taking a look into it myself, I'm just learning
          > } objective c/cocoa, but I think I could handle it.

          Bob, if you want to try, go ahead. I don't expect to have time for a
          while
          to look at anything else than the Carbon (and pre-Carbon) port.

          All, I'm currently working on the dialog boxes (they are much cleaner
          now,
          but still miss some polish.)

          > I'd be delighted if you did. In particular, I would love to be able to
          > run
          > gvim from a shell and have it come up as quickly and easily as the
          > various
          > X11 versions.

          Greg, I do not know what you mean by 'as quickly and easily as' but for
          the
          MacOS X (unix) version of Carbon Vim you can successfully invoke
          Vim with any arguments from the command line. There's a tiny glitch
          as Vim default to the gui even with --help (as for any none gui model,
          but you said gvim, no;). I already start to look at what need to be moved
          around to avoid default to gui on MacOS X (while still keeping the old
          classic code working fine)

          I successfully did:

          ./Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -d ../gui_mac.c ../gui_mac.c.orig

          Just did an extra test case. From command line we don't have some kind
          of --remote :( But you can still drop file to the dock.

          Dany, suprised that nobody complained yet about the "swapfile" dialog box