Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

  • Chris Allen
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
      On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw@...> wrote:
      > Rebuilding without multibyte support would presumably disable UTF-8
      > support? That would sort of get me back where I started :-/

      Yeah. It isn't quite as shiny as we generally expect Vim to be. I
      miss the underlining the most.

      > I guess it would seem that under MacOS X running GTK gvim or vim in a
      > terminal is probably the best way to get the features I need.

      I recommend the terminal, myself, although Terminal.app is not without
      its quirks.

      HTH,
      Chris Allen
    • Jussi Hagman
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
        Sorry for ignoring this thread earlier.. And another sorry if I
        missed the point by hopping in in middle of conversation.

        On 14.12.2005, at 16:33, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

        > Chris Allen wrote:
        >> On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly. However, it
        >>> doesn't seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting the "anti" and
        >>> "antialias" options. Do I need to rebuild it from source to get
        >>> antialiasing?

        gVim 7 on OS X is work in progress and broken in many ways regarding
        the fonts and text rendering. There is a reason that is not called
        stable, please use Vim 6.4 it should work fine with UTF-8 when
        multibyte is enabled at compile time. I would not recommend using
        vim7 on OS X with the Carbon interface at this point.

        >> You need to re-build without multibyte support if you want
        >> antialiasing to work. Antialiasing, along with underlining and
        >> italics, does not currently work with GVim under OS X.

        They work fine on Vim6 (italics with a separate patch).

        Greetings,
        Jussi

      • Geoffrey Alan Washburn
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
          Jussi Hagman wrote:
          > gVim 7 on OS X is work in progress and broken in many ways regarding
          > the fonts and text rendering. There is a reason that is not called
          > stable, please use Vim 6.4 it should work fine with UTF-8 when
          > multibyte is enabled at compile time. I would not recommend using vim7
          > on OS X with the Carbon interface at this point.
          Well, as my earlier posts on the matter mentioned, the version of
          6.4 I tried doesn't actually handle UTF-8 correctly (question marks with
          enc=utf-8 and garbage with tenc=utf-8), or is it just that the 6.4
          binaries on macvim.org are not compiled with multibyte support?

          --
          [Geoff Washburn|geoffw@...|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/%5d
        • Geoffrey Alan Washburn
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
            On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
            mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
            people reply to me and the list?

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
              On 14.12.2005, at 18:35, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

              > Jussi Hagman wrote:
              >> gVim 7 on OS X is work in progress and broken in many ways
              >> regarding the fonts and text rendering. There is a reason that is
              >> not called stable, please use Vim 6.4 it should work fine with
              >> UTF-8 when multibyte is enabled at compile time. I would not
              >> recommend using vim7 on OS X with the Carbon interface at this point.
              > Well, as my earlier posts on the matter mentioned, the version
              > of 6.4 I tried doesn't actually handle UTF-8 correctly (question
              > marks with enc=utf-8 and garbage with tenc=utf-8), or is it just
              > that the 6.4 binaries on macvim.org are not compiled with multibyte
              > support?

              I was in a hurry to get dinner and forgot completely to mention that
              the support is of course quite limited (basically to latin-ish
              characters I would guess) and that is the reason of the major re-
              engineering that has been happening with the font rendering for vim 7.

              So if you are trying to produce kanji, kana or something more exotic
              you must go to graphical vim7 (which I don't recommend) or use vim
              with a terminal as was suggested.

              Greetings,
              Jussi

            • Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
                Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
                > On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
                > mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
                > people reply to me and the list?

                Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would
                need to filter on the receiving end.

                Peppe
                --
                se nocp cpo=BceFsx!$ hid bs=2 ls=2 hls ic " P. Guldberg /bin/vi@...
                se scs ai isf-== fdo-=block cino=t0,:0 hi=100 ru so=4 noea lz|if has('unix')
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
                  On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg wrote:

                  > Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
                  > > On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
                  > > mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
                  > > people reply to me and the list?
                  >
                  > Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would
                  > need to filter on the receiving end.

                  Or *ahem* <flame-war> munge the list's reply-to header </flame-war> ...

                  --
                  Chris Devers

                  Ç#­n.ª“–“°J
                • Geoffrey Alan Washburn
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
                    Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg wrote:
                    > Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
                    >
                    >> On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
                    >> mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
                    >> people reply to me and the list?
                    >>

                    > Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would
                    > need to filter on the receiving end.

                    I'm pretty sure that there exists mailing list management software
                    that is smart enough to recognize when one of the recipients is already
                    in a "To" field. At least all the mailman based listed I've used seem
                    to do this.

                    Anyway, I'll take your answer as "no, our list software isn't very
                    smart."

                    --
                    [Geoff Washburn|geoffw@...|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/%5d