Re: Cocoa/Aqua port?

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
      Bob Ippolito sez:
      } Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
      } MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
      } everything else (i.e., services work).

      There exists a Carbon version. Someone even posted a binary for me. (Mount
      the idisk for fisherbb to grab it.) I, too, would prefer Cocoa, though, and
      would even do it if I had any free time.

      } If not, I'd consider taking a look into it myself, I'm just learning
      } objective c/cocoa, but I think I could handle it.

      I'd be delighted if you did. In particular, I would love to be able to run
      gvim from a shell and have it come up as quickly and easily as the various
      X11 versions.

      } -bob
      --Greg
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
        Gregory Seidman wrote:

        > Bob Ippolito sez:
        > } Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
        > } MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
        > } everything else (i.e., services work).
        >
        > There exists a Carbon version. Someone even posted a binary for me. (Mount
        > the idisk for fisherbb to grab it.) I, too, would prefer Cocoa, though, and
        > would even do it if I had any free time.

        I posted the binary. I would appreciate some feedback. I hope no one
        minds too much if I repeat the announcement:

        > Vim-Mac friends:
        >
        > I have compiled and uploaded a binary of vim compiled for OS X with
        > the Carbon GUI. *** I have not tested this much at all! *** You can
        > get it from my i-disk (which I have just created):
        > http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/
        > I packaged the binary with tar and gzip. I assume you know where to get
        > the runtime files.
        >
        > Compiling issues:
        >
        > 1. I compiled a "huge" version, but I could not figure out how to
        > include +perl. I tried editing feature.h and Makefile, to no avail.
        >
        > 2. I tried to put in my name in the "Compiled by" slot, but it did not
        > seem to work. Maybe I am editing the wrong Makefile?
        >
        > 3. The terminal version, according to :version, uses
        > /usr/local/share/vim as a "fall-back" setting for $VIM. Where is this
        > set, for terminal and Carbon versions?
        >
        > Packaging issues:
        >
        > The Mac "Developer Tools" include a PackageBuilder.app, so I would
        > like to use this to package the binaries together with the runtime
        > files, and perhaps write a simple installation script. I need to decide
        > where to install these. Any advice will be appreciated. In fact, if
        > you succeed in installing the binary in, say, the Applications folder,
        > please let me know how you set $VIM (or whatever you do) so that vim can
        > find the runtime files.
        >
        > If I can figure out how to do this, I would like to post a package
        > version some time next week.
        >
        > --Benji Fisher
      • Gregory Seidman
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
          Benji Fisher sez:
          [...]
          } I posted the binary. I would appreciate some feedback. I hope no one
          } minds too much if I repeat the announcement:
          }
          [...]
          } > Compiling issues:
          [...]
          } > 3. The terminal version, according to :version, uses
          } > /usr/local/share/vim as a "fall-back" setting for $VIM. Where is this
          } > set, for terminal and Carbon versions?

          It is a pity that the Carbon version cannot be run in a terminal. The -X
          flag (which isn't quite relevant since it refers to an X server rather than
          a GUI frontend) doesn't do it. You did not include a terminal version of
          vim, and I wish you had.

          } > Packaging issues:
          } >
          } > The Mac "Developer Tools" include a PackageBuilder.app, so I would
          } > like to use this to package the binaries together with the runtime
          } > files, and perhaps write a simple installation script. I need to decide
          } > where to install these. Any advice will be appreciated. In fact, if
          } > you succeed in installing the binary in, say, the Applications folder,
          } > please let me know how you set $VIM (or whatever you do) so that vim can
          } > find the runtime files.

          Since .app programs are, in fact, directories I would be inclined to
          install the vim files within that. I would be inclined to unify the
          different binaries (terminal, X11, Carbon/Cocoa) with symbolic links (i.e.
          the main tree is in /usr/local and there is a link within Vim.app to the
          tree, or vice versa).

          } > If I can figure out how to do this, I would like to post a package
          } > version some time next week.

          If you do, please include a terminal version as well. By the way, I
          couldn't figure out how to change the font in the Carbon version. Setting
          guifont to random guesses didn't do anything, not even an error message.

          } > --Benji Fisher
          --Greg
        • Dany St-Amant
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
            Le Mardi 6 novembre 2001, à 05:21 , Gregory Seidman a écrit :

            > Bob Ippolito sez:
            > } Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
            > } MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
            > } everything else (i.e., services work).
            >
            > There exists a Carbon version. Someone even posted a binary for me.
            > (Mount
            > the idisk for fisherbb to grab it.) I, too, would prefer Cocoa, though,
            > and
            > would even do it if I had any free time.
            >
            > } If not, I'd consider taking a look into it myself, I'm just learning
            > } objective c/cocoa, but I think I could handle it.

            Bob, if you want to try, go ahead. I don't expect to have time for a
            while
            to look at anything else than the Carbon (and pre-Carbon) port.

            All, I'm currently working on the dialog boxes (they are much cleaner
            now,
            but still miss some polish.)

            > I'd be delighted if you did. In particular, I would love to be able to
            > run
            > gvim from a shell and have it come up as quickly and easily as the
            > various
            > X11 versions.

            Greg, I do not know what you mean by 'as quickly and easily as' but for
            the
            MacOS X (unix) version of Carbon Vim you can successfully invoke
            Vim with any arguments from the command line. There's a tiny glitch
            as Vim default to the gui even with --help (as for any none gui model,
            but you said gvim, no;). I already start to look at what need to be moved
            around to avoid default to gui on MacOS X (while still keeping the old
            classic code working fine)

            I successfully did:

            ./Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -d ../gui_mac.c ../gui_mac.c.orig

            Just did an extra test case. From command line we don't have some kind
            of --remote :( But you can still drop file to the dock.

            Dany, suprised that nobody complained yet about the "swapfile" dialog box