Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: MacVIM and UTF-8

Expand Messages
  • Geoffrey Alan Washburn
    ... I ll have to look into this further. ... I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly. However, it doesn t seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 13 4:29 PM
      Benji Fisher wrote:
      > 1. Try running vim in a Terminal.app window (without the GUI). When I
      > try this, and set 'enc' to utf-8, it seems to work (very limited
      > testing). The Gamma takes up two spaces; maybe this is not acceptable.
      >
      I'll have to look into this further.

      > 2. Try vim 7.0. It is an alpha version, but the build I posted at
      > http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Downloadingb <http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Downloading>
      >
      I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly. However, it
      doesn't seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting the "anti" and
      "antialias" options. Do I need to rebuild it from source to get
      antialiasing?

      --
      [Geoff Washburn|geoffw@...|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/%5d
    • Chris Allen
      ... You need to re-build without multibyte support if you want antialiasing to work. Antialiasing, along with underlining and italics, does not currently work
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 14 2:25 AM
        On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw@...> wrote:
        > I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly. However, it
        > doesn't seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting the "anti" and
        > "antialias" options. Do I need to rebuild it from source to get
        > antialiasing?

        You need to re-build without multibyte support if you want
        antialiasing to work. Antialiasing, along with underlining and
        italics, does not currently work with GVim under OS X.

        HTH,
        Chris Allen
      • Geoffrey Alan Washburn
        ... Rebuilding without multibyte support would presumably disable UTF-8 support? That would sort of get me back where I started :-/ I guess it would seem that
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 14 6:33 AM
          Chris Allen wrote:
          > On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly. However, it
          >> doesn't seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting the "anti" and
          >> "antialias" options. Do I need to rebuild it from source to get
          >> antialiasing?
          >>
          >
          > You need to re-build without multibyte support if you want
          > antialiasing to work. Antialiasing, along with underlining and
          > italics, does not currently work with GVim under OS X.
          >
          Rebuilding without multibyte support would presumably disable UTF-8
          support? That would sort of get me back where I started :-/

          I guess it would seem that under MacOS X running GTK gvim or vim in
          a terminal is probably the best way to get the features I need.

          --
          [Geoff Washburn|geoffw@...|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/%5d
        • Chris Allen
          ... Yeah. It isn t quite as shiny as we generally expect Vim to be. I miss the underlining the most. ... I recommend the terminal, myself, although
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 14 8:02 AM
            On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw@...> wrote:
            > Rebuilding without multibyte support would presumably disable UTF-8
            > support? That would sort of get me back where I started :-/

            Yeah. It isn't quite as shiny as we generally expect Vim to be. I
            miss the underlining the most.

            > I guess it would seem that under MacOS X running GTK gvim or vim in a
            > terminal is probably the best way to get the features I need.

            I recommend the terminal, myself, although Terminal.app is not without
            its quirks.

            HTH,
            Chris Allen
          • Jussi Hagman
            Sorry for ignoring this thread earlier.. And another sorry if I missed the point by hopping in in middle of conversation. ... gVim 7 on OS X is work in
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 14 8:32 AM
              Sorry for ignoring this thread earlier.. And another sorry if I
              missed the point by hopping in in middle of conversation.

              On 14.12.2005, at 16:33, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

              > Chris Allen wrote:
              >> On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> I gave this a try and it seems to work correctly. However, it
              >>> doesn't seem to antialias fonts despite adjusting the "anti" and
              >>> "antialias" options. Do I need to rebuild it from source to get
              >>> antialiasing?

              gVim 7 on OS X is work in progress and broken in many ways regarding
              the fonts and text rendering. There is a reason that is not called
              stable, please use Vim 6.4 it should work fine with UTF-8 when
              multibyte is enabled at compile time. I would not recommend using
              vim7 on OS X with the Carbon interface at this point.

              >> You need to re-build without multibyte support if you want
              >> antialiasing to work. Antialiasing, along with underlining and
              >> italics, does not currently work with GVim under OS X.

              They work fine on Vim6 (italics with a separate patch).

              Greetings,
              Jussi


              --
              Jussi Hagman, jhagman@..., iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113
              Studentbyn 4 D 33, 20540 Åbo, Finland +358 50 56 51 170
            • Geoffrey Alan Washburn
              ... Well, as my earlier posts on the matter mentioned, the version of 6.4 I tried doesn t actually handle UTF-8 correctly (question marks with enc=utf-8 and
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 14 8:35 AM
                Jussi Hagman wrote:
                > gVim 7 on OS X is work in progress and broken in many ways regarding
                > the fonts and text rendering. There is a reason that is not called
                > stable, please use Vim 6.4 it should work fine with UTF-8 when
                > multibyte is enabled at compile time. I would not recommend using vim7
                > on OS X with the Carbon interface at this point.
                Well, as my earlier posts on the matter mentioned, the version of
                6.4 I tried doesn't actually handle UTF-8 correctly (question marks with
                enc=utf-8 and garbage with tenc=utf-8), or is it just that the 6.4
                binaries on macvim.org are not compiled with multibyte support?

                --
                [Geoff Washburn|geoffw@...|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/%5d
              • Geoffrey Alan Washburn
                On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my mailing list settings so I don t keep getting duplicate e-mails when people reply to me and the
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 14 8:41 AM
                  On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
                  mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
                  people reply to me and the list?

                  Chris Allen wrote:
                  > On 14/12/05, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Rebuilding without multibyte support would presumably disable UTF-8
                  >> support? That would sort of get me back where I started :-/
                  >>
                  >
                  > Yeah. It isn't quite as shiny as we generally expect Vim to be. I
                  > miss the underlining the most.
                  >
                  >
                  >> I guess it would seem that under MacOS X running GTK gvim or vim in a
                  >> terminal is probably the best way to get the features I need.
                  >>
                  >
                  > I recommend the terminal, myself, although Terminal.app is not without
                  > its quirks.
                  >
                  > HTH,
                  > Chris Allen
                  >


                  --
                  [Geoff Washburn|geoffw@...|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/%5d
                • Jussi Hagman
                  ... I was in a hurry to get dinner and forgot completely to mention that the support is of course quite limited (basically to latin-ish characters I would
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 14 10:24 AM
                    On 14.12.2005, at 18:35, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

                    > Jussi Hagman wrote:
                    >> gVim 7 on OS X is work in progress and broken in many ways
                    >> regarding the fonts and text rendering. There is a reason that is
                    >> not called stable, please use Vim 6.4 it should work fine with
                    >> UTF-8 when multibyte is enabled at compile time. I would not
                    >> recommend using vim7 on OS X with the Carbon interface at this point.
                    > Well, as my earlier posts on the matter mentioned, the version
                    > of 6.4 I tried doesn't actually handle UTF-8 correctly (question
                    > marks with enc=utf-8 and garbage with tenc=utf-8), or is it just
                    > that the 6.4 binaries on macvim.org are not compiled with multibyte
                    > support?

                    I was in a hurry to get dinner and forgot completely to mention that
                    the support is of course quite limited (basically to latin-ish
                    characters I would guess) and that is the reason of the major re-
                    engineering that has been happening with the font rendering for vim 7.

                    So if you are trying to produce kanji, kana or something more exotic
                    you must go to graphical vim7 (which I don't recommend) or use vim
                    with a terminal as was suggested.

                    Greetings,
                    Jussi

                    --
                    Jussi Hagman, jhagman@..., iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113
                    Studentbyn 4 D 33, 20540 Åbo, Finland +358 50 56 51 170
                  • Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg
                    ... Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would need to filter on the receiving end. Peppe -- se nocp cpo=BceFsx!$ hid bs=2 ls=2 hls
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 14 11:19 AM
                      Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
                      > On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
                      > mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
                      > people reply to me and the list?

                      Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would
                      need to filter on the receiving end.

                      Peppe
                      --
                      se nocp cpo=BceFsx!$ hid bs=2 ls=2 hls ic " P. Guldberg /bin/vi@...
                      se scs ai isf-== fdo-=block cino=t0,:0 hi=100 ru so=4 noea lz|if has('unix')
                      se sh=/bin/sh|en|syn on|filetype plugin indent on|ono S V/\n^-- $\\|\%$/<CR>
                      cno <C-A> <C-B>|au FileType vim,mail se sw=4 sts=4 et|let&tw=72+6*(&ft=~'v')
                    • Chris Devers
                      ... Or *ahem* munge the list s reply-to header ... -- Chris Devers Ç#­n.ª“–“°J
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 14 12:04 PM
                        On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg wrote:

                        > Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
                        > > On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
                        > > mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
                        > > people reply to me and the list?
                        >
                        > Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would
                        > need to filter on the receiving end.

                        Or *ahem* <flame-war> munge the list's reply-to header </flame-war> ...


                        --
                        Chris Devers

                        Ç#­n.ª“–“°J
                      • Geoffrey Alan Washburn
                        ... I m pretty sure that there exists mailing list management software that is smart enough to recognize when one of the recipients is already in a To field.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 14 3:05 PM
                          Preben 'Peppe' Guldberg wrote:
                          > Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
                          >
                          >> On a completely irrelevant note, is there a way to configure my
                          >> mailing list settings so I don't keep getting duplicate e-mails when
                          >> people reply to me and the list?
                          >>
                          >
                          > Not really - the emails get sent to you by different routes. You would
                          > need to filter on the receiving end.
                          >

                          I'm pretty sure that there exists mailing list management software
                          that is smart enough to recognize when one of the recipients is already
                          in a "To" field. At least all the mailman based listed I've used seem
                          to do this.

                          Anyway, I'll take your answer as "no, our list software isn't very
                          smart."

                          --
                          [Geoff Washburn|geoffw@...|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/%5d
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.