Re: Supporting CodeWarrior

  • Chris Devers
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2005
      On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Jussi Hagman wrote:

      > I've started to clean up gui_mac.c by removing all pre-Carbon code.
      > There are some CodeWarrior specific things in the source code (some
      > global definitions, SIOUX debugging etc.). Although CodeWarrior exists
      > for OS X I assume that it has a very little market share, most people
      > are using xcode/gcc from Apple.
      >
      > Should I keep that code there or can we end support for CodeWarrior
      > too?

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CodeWarrior

      On July 29, 2005, [Metroworks] announced that CodeWarrior for Mac
      would be discontinued after the next release, CodeWarrior Pro 10.
      Metrowerks did not detail the reasons for the cancellation, though
      the demand for their product had presumably fallen after Apple began
      distributing a free IDE with OS X, and Apple's upcoming switch to Intel
      chips left Metrowerks without an obvious product, as they had sold
      their Intel compiler technology to Symbian earlier in 2005.

      http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/10/31/codewarrior/index.php

      CodeWarrior 10 will be the final Mac release, according to comments
      made by Metrowerks at the Adhoc (formerly MacHack) conference earlier
      this year.

      http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=newsthread&Number=364308&page=0&view=collapsed

      If the product is effectively end-of-lifed, removing support for it
      probably isn't a very radical thing to do. Anyone still using it is
      also probably going to stick with old versions of Vim and OS9 / OSX.

      --
      Chris Devers

      ¡wNîö3Eº*
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2005
        Jussi Hagman wrote:

        > I've started to clean up gui_mac.c by removing all pre-Carbon code.
        > There are some CodeWarrior specific things in the source code (some
        > global definitions, SIOUX debugging etc.). Although CodeWarrior
        > exists for OS X I assume that it has a very little market share, most
        > people are using xcode/gcc from Apple.
        >
        > Should I keep that code there or can we end support for CodeWarrior too?

        I think it's sufficient to support one compiler that is available for
        free and works well.

        It's good to remove code and files that won't be used anyway. Please
        use the latest Vim 7 snapshot and send me a diff. After testing it, of
        course! And let me know if any files can be omitted.

        --
        [clop clop]
        ARTHUR: Old woman!

      • Jussi Hagman
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2005
          On 8.12.2005, at 12:28, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Jussi Hagman wrote:
          >
          >> Should I keep that code there or can we end support for
          >> CodeWarrior too?
          >
          > I think it's sufficient to support one compiler that is available for
          > free and works well.

          OK.

          > It's good to remove code and files that won't be used anyway. Please
          > use the latest Vim 7 snapshot and send me a diff. After testing
          > it, of
          > course! And let me know if any files can be omitted.

          I'll do that but that'll take at least another day or two.

          Greetings,
          Jussi

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 2005
            Jussi Hagman wrote:

            > >> Should I keep that code there or can we end support for
            > >> CodeWarrior too?
            > >
            > > I think it's sufficient to support one compiler that is available for
            > > free and works well.
            >
            > OK.
            >
            > > It's good to remove code and files that won't be used anyway. Please
            > > use the latest Vim 7 snapshot and send me a diff. After testing
            > > it, of
            > > course! And let me know if any files can be omitted.
            >
            > I'll do that but that'll take at least another day or two.

            No hurry. I rather have it done properly then fast.

            Thanks for your help!

            --
            WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous
            collective.