Re: Mac Terminal.app, utf-8 and vim

  • Peter Vohmann
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2005
      Hi Benji,

      Ah yes, I almost missed that request. Of course, here you are:

      Q: How can I use national characters when running vim in a Terminal
      window? I get funny characters or extra white space!
      A: Go to Terminal.app -> Menu Terminal -> Window Settings. Select
      Emulation from the Popup menu, un-check the item Escape non-ASCII
      characters (terminal sends ctrl-V for quoting). Then select Display
      from the Popup menu, set Character Set Encoding to Unicode (UTF-8),
      if desired. Click on "Use settings as Default."

      At last, vim defaults to "set encoding=latin1". To use Unicode
      instead, add the following line to your .bashrc, then open a new shell:
      export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

      Kind regards,
      Peter