Re: Mac Terminal.app, utf-8 and vim

  • Baptiste Calmès
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2005
      Le 3 déc. 05 à 19:07, Jussi Hagman a écrit :

      > In french keymap "^", l'accent circumflex, is not a real character
      > but a "soft" or "silent" key[1]. Therefore when pressing it no
      > character is actually created but an intermediate underlined "^"
      > shown to provide the user with some feedback. As far as I know this
      > is done by Terminal.app, not vim or another program running. If a
      > suitable character, for instance an "a", is given immediately after
      > this a "â" is produced and sent to vim.

      Yes, indeed.

      >> If, instead, I hit "^" a second time, the character doesn't
      >> dissappear, and the cursor goes to the beginning of the line,
      >> repacing the first character of the line by "^" (so I actually see
      >> two "^" on my line at this stage).
      >> Then, if I hit any key, the character "^" at the beginning of the
      >> line disappears, but not the one that had appeared first elsewhere
      >> in the line.
      >
      > This is quite interesting phenomenon, but I'd say this is a bug in
      > Terminal.app, not in vim. If you press ctrl-l to force a redraw you
      > see that the line has the expected characters.

      You are right, I hadn't noticed that.

      > Terminal.app just seems to loose it if cursor is moved when it is
      > not expecting it.
      >
      > I tried this also with iTerm, which is another terminal for OS X.
      > It seems to handle the silent characters differently, in a less
      > buggy way. I guess we could work around this bug by redrawing the
      > line when "^" command is issued but I'd be very hesitant to see an
      > OS X specific fix in vim to work around a Terminal.app bug.

      Yes, this wouldn't be reasonnable. Since apple ships vim with tiger,
      it might want to improve its termina.app, so that vim works correctly
      with it (using any keymap). Maybe I'll try submitting this to apple
      as a bug, if I find a place to do it.

      Thank you for your answer.

      Baptiste Calmès
    • Peter Vohmann
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 2005
        Hi Benji,

        Ah yes, I almost missed that request. Of course, here you are:

        Q: How can I use national characters when running vim in a Terminal
        window? I get funny characters or extra white space!
        A: Go to Terminal.app -> Menu Terminal -> Window Settings. Select
        Emulation from the Popup menu, un-check the item Escape non-ASCII
        characters (terminal sends ctrl-V for quoting). Then select Display
        from the Popup menu, set Character Set Encoding to Unicode (UTF-8),
        if desired. Click on "Use settings as Default."

        At last, vim defaults to "set encoding=latin1". To use Unicode
        instead, add the following line to your .bashrc, then open a new shell:
        export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

        Kind regards,
        Peter