Re: Vim 7 and Apple's gcc 4.0.1

  • Jussi Hagman
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
      On 3.12.2005, at 19:09, Andre Berger wrote:

      > * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
      >> Hello,
      >>
      >> I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
      >> distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
      >>
      >> It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
      >> is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.
      >
      > I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
      > "gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?

      I just added a line "CFLAGS = -Os" in src/Makefile. The easiest thing
      is probably to find a similar row (search for -O) and uncomment/edit it.

      Greetings,
      Jussi

    • Andre Berger
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
        * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-12-03 19:11 +0100:

        > On 3.12.2005, at 19:09, Andre Berger wrote:
        >
        > >* Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
        > >>Hello,
        > >>
        > >>I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
        > >>distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
        > >>
        > >>It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
        > >>is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.
        > >
        > >I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
        > >"gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?
        >
        > I just added a line "CFLAGS = -Os" in src/Makefile. The easiest thing
        > is probably to find a similar row (search for -O) and uncomment/edit it.

        Thanks, work just fine!

        -Andre
      • Emily Jackson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
          On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:08:12 +0200
          Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:

          > On 3.12.2005, at 19:09, Andre Berger wrote:
          >
          > > * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
          > >> Hello,
          > >>
          > >> I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
          > >> distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
          > >>
          > >> It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
          > >> is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.
          > >
          > > I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
          > > "gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?
          >
          > I just added a line "CFLAGS = -Os" in src/Makefile. The easiest
          > thing is probably to find a similar row (search for -O) and
          > uncomment/edit it.

          Fink's vim package just sets the CFLAGS environment variable to -Os.
          That seems to be easier than modifying files would be.

          Emily

          --
          "If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
          Emily Jackson