Re: Vim 7 and Apple's gcc 4.0.1

  • Andre Berger
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
      * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
      > distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
      >
      > It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
      > is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.

      I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
      "gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?

      -Andre
    • Jussi Hagman
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
        On 3.12.2005, at 19:09, Andre Berger wrote:

        > * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
        >> Hello,
        >>
        >> I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
        >> distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
        >>
        >> It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
        >> is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.
        >
        > I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
        > "gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?

        I just added a line "CFLAGS = -Os" in src/Makefile. The easiest thing
        is probably to find a similar row (search for -O) and uncomment/edit it.

        Greetings,
        Jussi

      • Andre Berger
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
          * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-12-03 19:11 +0100:

          > On 3.12.2005, at 19:09, Andre Berger wrote:
          >
          > >* Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
          > >>Hello,
          > >>
          > >>I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
          > >>distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
          > >>
          > >>It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
          > >>is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.
          > >
          > >I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
          > >"gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?
          >
          > I just added a line "CFLAGS = -Os" in src/Makefile. The easiest thing
          > is probably to find a similar row (search for -O) and uncomment/edit it.

          Thanks, work just fine!

          -Andre
        • Emily Jackson
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
            On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:08:12 +0200
            Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:

            > On 3.12.2005, at 19:09, Andre Berger wrote:
            >
            > > * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
            > >> Hello,
            > >>
            > >> I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
            > >> distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
            > >>
            > >> It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
            > >> is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.
            > >
            > > I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
            > > "gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?
            >
            > I just added a line "CFLAGS = -Os" in src/Makefile. The easiest
            > thing is probably to find a similar row (search for -O) and
            > uncomment/edit it.

            Fink's vim package just sets the CFLAGS environment variable to -Os.
            That seems to be easier than modifying files would be.

            Emily

            --
            "If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
            Emily Jackson