Cocoa/Aqua port?

  • Bob Ippolito
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
      Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
      MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
      everything else (i.e., services work).

      If not, I'd consider taking a look into it myself, I'm just learning
      objective c/cocoa, but I think I could handle it.

      -bob
    • Gregory Seidman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
        Bob Ippolito sez:
        } Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
        } MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
        } everything else (i.e., services work).

        There exists a Carbon version. Someone even posted a binary for me. (Mount
        the idisk for fisherbb to grab it.) I, too, would prefer Cocoa, though, and
        would even do it if I had any free time.

        } If not, I'd consider taking a look into it myself, I'm just learning
        } objective c/cocoa, but I think I could handle it.

        I'd be delighted if you did. In particular, I would love to be able to run
        gvim from a shell and have it come up as quickly and easily as the various
        X11 versions.

        } -bob
        --Greg
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
          Gregory Seidman wrote:

          > Bob Ippolito sez:
          > } Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
          > } MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
          > } everything else (i.e., services work).
          >
          > There exists a Carbon version. Someone even posted a binary for me. (Mount
          > the idisk for fisherbb to grab it.) I, too, would prefer Cocoa, though, and
          > would even do it if I had any free time.

          I posted the binary. I would appreciate some feedback. I hope no one
          minds too much if I repeat the announcement:

          > Vim-Mac friends:
          >
          > I have compiled and uploaded a binary of vim compiled for OS X with
          > the Carbon GUI. *** I have not tested this much at all! *** You can
          > get it from my i-disk (which I have just created):
          > http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/
          > I packaged the binary with tar and gzip. I assume you know where to get
          > the runtime files.
          >
          > Compiling issues:
          >
          > 1. I compiled a "huge" version, but I could not figure out how to
          > include +perl. I tried editing feature.h and Makefile, to no avail.
          >
          > 2. I tried to put in my name in the "Compiled by" slot, but it did not
          > seem to work. Maybe I am editing the wrong Makefile?
          >
          > 3. The terminal version, according to :version, uses
          > /usr/local/share/vim as a "fall-back" setting for $VIM. Where is this
          > set, for terminal and Carbon versions?
          >
          > Packaging issues:
          >
          > The Mac "Developer Tools" include a PackageBuilder.app, so I would
          > like to use this to package the binaries together with the runtime
          > files, and perhaps write a simple installation script. I need to decide
          > where to install these. Any advice will be appreciated. In fact, if
          > you succeed in installing the binary in, say, the Applications folder,
          > please let me know how you set $VIM (or whatever you do) so that vim can
          > find the runtime files.
          >
          > If I can figure out how to do this, I would like to post a package
          > version some time next week.
          >
          > --Benji Fisher
        • Gregory Seidman
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
            Benji Fisher sez:
            [...]
            } I posted the binary. I would appreciate some feedback. I hope no one
            } minds too much if I repeat the announcement:
            }
            [...]
            } > Compiling issues:
            [...]
            } > 3. The terminal version, according to :version, uses
            } > /usr/local/share/vim as a "fall-back" setting for $VIM. Where is this
            } > set, for terminal and Carbon versions?

            It is a pity that the Carbon version cannot be run in a terminal. The -X
            flag (which isn't quite relevant since it refers to an X server rather than
            a GUI frontend) doesn't do it. You did not include a terminal version of
            vim, and I wish you had.

            } > Packaging issues:
            } >
            } > The Mac "Developer Tools" include a PackageBuilder.app, so I would
            } > like to use this to package the binaries together with the runtime
            } > files, and perhaps write a simple installation script. I need to decide
            } > where to install these. Any advice will be appreciated. In fact, if
            } > you succeed in installing the binary in, say, the Applications folder,
            } > please let me know how you set $VIM (or whatever you do) so that vim can
            } > find the runtime files.

            Since .app programs are, in fact, directories I would be inclined to
            install the vim files within that. I would be inclined to unify the
            different binaries (terminal, X11, Carbon/Cocoa) with symbolic links (i.e.
            the main tree is in /usr/local and there is a link within Vim.app to the
            tree, or vice versa).

            } > If I can figure out how to do this, I would like to post a package
            } > version some time next week.

            If you do, please include a terminal version as well. By the way, I
            couldn't figure out how to change the font in the Carbon version. Setting
            guifont to random guesses didn't do anything, not even an error message.

            } > --Benji Fisher
            --Greg
          • Dany St-Amant
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
              Le Mardi 6 novembre 2001, à 05:21 , Gregory Seidman a écrit :

              > Bob Ippolito sez:
              > } Is anyone working on a Cocoa (or at the least Carbon) version of
              > } MacVim? I'd prefer Cocoa to Carbon because it integrates better with
              > } everything else (i.e., services work).
              >
              > There exists a Carbon version. Someone even posted a binary for me.
              > (Mount
              > the idisk for fisherbb to grab it.) I, too, would prefer Cocoa, though,
              > and
              > would even do it if I had any free time.
              >
              > } If not, I'd consider taking a look into it myself, I'm just learning
              > } objective c/cocoa, but I think I could handle it.

              Bob, if you want to try, go ahead. I don't expect to have time for a
              while
              to look at anything else than the Carbon (and pre-Carbon) port.

              All, I'm currently working on the dialog boxes (they are much cleaner
              now,
              but still miss some polish.)

              > I'd be delighted if you did. In particular, I would love to be able to
              > run
              > gvim from a shell and have it come up as quickly and easily as the
              > various
              > X11 versions.

              Greg, I do not know what you mean by 'as quickly and easily as' but for
              the
              MacOS X (unix) version of Carbon Vim you can successfully invoke
              Vim with any arguments from the command line. There's a tiny glitch
              as Vim default to the gui even with --help (as for any none gui model,
              but you said gvim, no;). I already start to look at what need to be moved
              around to avoid default to gui on MacOS X (while still keeping the old
              classic code working fine)

              I successfully did:

              ./Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -d ../gui_mac.c ../gui_mac.c.orig

              Just did an extra test case. From command line we don't have some kind
              of --remote :( But you can still drop file to the dock.

              Dany, suprised that nobody complained yet about the "swapfile" dialog box