Drop support for pre-OS/X systems?

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 25, 2005
      I guess that most people are using OS/X now. Maintaining the OS 9 code
      in Vim 7 makes the work a bit complicated. Can we drop that code now?

      Vim 6.4 can still be used for older systems, of course.

      I hope that by making the maintenance simpler it becomes more attractive
      to work on the OS/X features.

      --
      Spam seems to be something useful to novices. Later you realize that
      it's a bunch of indigestable junk that only clogs your system.

    • Gregory Seidman
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 25, 2005
        On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 12:06:45PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        }
        } I guess that most people are using OS/X now. Maintaining the OS 9 code
        } in Vim 7 makes the work a bit complicated. Can we drop that code now?
        }
        } Vim 6.4 can still be used for older systems, of course.
        }
        } I hope that by making the maintenance simpler it becomes more attractive
        } to work on the OS/X features.

        I'll vote for this, yes.

        } /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
        --Greg
      • Jussi Hagman
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 2005
          On 25.11.2005, at 13:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > I guess that most people are using OS/X now. Maintaining the OS 9
          > code
          > in Vim 7 makes the work a bit complicated. Can we drop that code now?

          If dropping pre-OS X support completely is considered to be too
          drastic a move there exists possibility to do as with the Windows
          GUI. The code would be split in two files gui_macos.c and
          gui_macos_x.c. Obviously the files would be cleaned to contain just
          the necessary code.

          This requires a change to the build process, and I'm unfortunately
          autotools illiterate so I don't know how that is done.

          Greetings,
          Jussi

        • Nicholas Cole
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 25, 2005
            > } I hope that by making the maintenance simpler it becomes more attractive
            > } to work on the OS/X features.
            >
            > I'll vote for this, yes.

            Anything that encourages work on the OS X features must be a good
            thing. Mac users are fairly conditioned to accept the fact that (even
            open source) programs drop support for previous OS versions after a
            while. Vim 6.4 won't go away.

            Best wishes,

            N.
          • Alan Schmitt
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 25, 2005
              On 25 nov. 05, at 12:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > I guess that most people are using OS/X now. Maintaining the OS 9
              > code
              > in Vim 7 makes the work a bit complicated. Can we drop that code now?
              >
              > Vim 6.4 can still be used for older systems, of course.
              >
              > I hope that by making the maintenance simpler it becomes more
              > attractive
              > to work on the OS/X features.

              I vote yes.

              Alan

              --
              Alan Schmitt <http://sardes.inrialpes.fr/~aschmitt/>

              The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
              happen.
              .O.
              ..O
              OOO
            • Stephen Riehm
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 27, 2005
                Hi Bram,

                On 25.11.2005, at 12:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > I guess that most people are using OS/X now. Maintaining the OS 9
                > code
                > in Vim 7 makes the work a bit complicated. Can we drop that code now?
                >
                > Vim 6.4 can still be used for older systems, of course.
                >
                > I hope that by making the maintenance simpler it becomes more
                > attractive
                > to work on the OS/X features.

                Bram, you are too good :-) How many projects out there just follow
                the author's whims? Who ever heard of ASKING for user feedback?
                Does the poll on vim.org still get hit often - that would be a good
                way to get a democratic answer - on the other hand, you might get a
                whole bunch of windows users saying no :-)

                With my 2 cents I definitely vote to drop os-9 support.
                It's been 4-5 years since apple supported os-9, and it's been about
                as long since I last ran an os-9 app.

                Cheers, and thanks for asking!

                Steve