Vim 7 and Apple's gcc 4.0.1

  • Jussi Hagman
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2005
      Hello,

      I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
      distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.

      It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
      is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.

      Just a note for you who try to be on the edge when it comes to
      compilers :)

      Greetings,
      Jussi

    • Andre Berger
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
        * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
        > distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
        >
        > It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
        > is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.

        I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
        "gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?

        -Andre
      • Jussi Hagman
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
          On 3.12.2005, at 19:09, Andre Berger wrote:

          > * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
          >> Hello,
          >>
          >> I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
          >> distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
          >>
          >> It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
          >> is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.
          >
          > I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
          > "gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?

          I just added a line "CFLAGS = -Os" in src/Makefile. The easiest thing
          is probably to find a similar row (search for -O) and uncomment/edit it.

          Greetings,
          Jussi

        • Andre Berger
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
            * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-12-03 19:11 +0100:

            > On 3.12.2005, at 19:09, Andre Berger wrote:
            >
            > >* Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
            > >>Hello,
            > >>
            > >>I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
            > >>distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
            > >>
            > >>It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
            > >>is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.
            > >
            > >I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
            > >"gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?
            >
            > I just added a line "CFLAGS = -Os" in src/Makefile. The easiest thing
            > is probably to find a similar row (search for -O) and uncomment/edit it.

            Thanks, work just fine!

            -Andre
          • Emily Jackson
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
              On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:08:12 +0200
              Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:

              > On 3.12.2005, at 19:09, Andre Berger wrote:
              >
              > > * Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...>, 2005-11-24 07:30 +0100:
              > >> Hello,
              > >>
              > >> I noticed that vim7 compiled with Apple's gcc 4.0.1, which is
              > >> distributed with xcode 2.2 has serious problems and does not work.
              > >>
              > >> It looks like the problem is not vim but the compiler, a workaround
              > >> is to compile with optimization -Os instead of -O2.
              > >
              > > I ran into the same problem with 6.0.4, worked around with
              > > "gcc_select 3.3". How did you change the optimization for 4.0.1?
              >
              > I just added a line "CFLAGS = -Os" in src/Makefile. The easiest
              > thing is probably to find a similar row (search for -O) and
              > uncomment/edit it.

              Fink's vim package just sets the CFLAGS environment variable to -Os.
              That seems to be easier than modifying files would be.

              Emily

              --
              "If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
              Emily Jackson