Re: vim 56 - Japanese version

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2000
      Kenichi Asai wrote:

      > It seems that I succeeded in making Japanese version of Vim 5.6 on
      > Macintosh. Here I would like to report what I did.

      That is very nice. I looked through your changes and it they appear to be
      small. However, a few changes look like they might cause problems when used
      in another environment (not Macintosh or not multi-byte).

      I suggest distributing this as a patch on top of the available Vim version for
      a while. Perhaps you can improve it further if remarks are made. I can
      include the changes in the main Vim distribution after some confidence is
      build up.

      Your detailed description of the changes is very good! Please update it when
      making further changes.

      For people in vim-multibyte who want to see the original message, go to the
      vim-mac archive: http://www.egroups.com/group/vim-mac

      > - I would like to distribute the binary for this Japanese vim on my
      > homepage, because there seems to be some people who actually want to
      > use it. Would this be possible?

      Vim can be distributed freely. That also applies to modified versions.

      > - Do I need any statement on copyright? I do not need any copyright
      > on the diff files I made, so please use it in anyway (but without any
      > warranty).

      I would not worry about copyright. If you would not want others to use this,
      you would not have send it to this list.

      --
      Living on Earth includes an annual free trip around the Sun.

    • Kenichi Asai
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 2000
        Dear Vim-Mac developpers,

        - I found that "set isprint=@,~-255" makes some changes unnecessary
        that I made before.
        - I had a small problem with patch 5.6.061 when compiling with CodeWarrior.
        - I updated my release of Japanese Vim 5.6. It is available at:
        http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim-e.html

        In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
        chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
        setting

        set isprint=@,~-255

        those changes are unnecessary. (On Windows, the above setting is the
        default. On Macintosh, it isn't. It might be a good idea to set it
        default on Macintosh, too, but I do not understand its consequence
        very much.) Here goes the detailed description on my current patches.

        - os_mac.h.diff, edit.c.diff, feature.h.diff

        Same as before.

        - gui_mac.c.diff

        Almost the same as before. I changed it a little bit so that I can
        manage the case where the first byte is LeadByte and the second byte
        is null.

        - multbyte.c.diff

        Same as before. (Still need further consideration.)

        - screen.c

        The changes are only for displaying a ruler:

        >I also made a change on the ruler dispaly. When the cursor is on
        >multibyte characters, the ruler shows 2 bytes as its character code.

        - term.c

        CodeWarrior complians that it cannot cast
        (char *) p->bt_string
        into
        (char_u *).

        - ex_docmd.c

        This is incorporated as 5.6.052.

        - chartab.c

        No changes required any more. My previous patch for chartab.c was removed.

        Sincerely,

        ---
        Kenichi Asai
      • Axel Kielhorn
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12, 2000
          At 17:30 Uhr +0900 2000-04-11, Kenichi Asai wrote:
          >Dear Vim-Mac developpers,

          >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
          >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
          >setting
          >
          >set isprint=@,~-255
          >
          >those changes are unnecessary. (On Windows, the above setting is the
          >default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)

          This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
          non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.

          >This is incorporated as 5.6.052.

          Axel, 5 patches behind

          --
          Adults get far more pleasure from adultery
          than children do from infancy
          Message 4 of 12 , May 9 7:44 AM
            * Axel Kielhorn <Axel.noSpam@...> [000416 15:23]:
            > >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
            > >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
            > >setting "set isprint=@,~-255" those changes are unnecessary. (On
            > >Windows, the above setting is the default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)
            > This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
            > non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.

            Well, was it possible for you to produce a new version?

            Also, could we please decide on a
            MacVim to be *the* official one?

            I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:

            MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
            However, there are three sites with updates:
            Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
            and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
            Please let me know which version you are using.

            For me it means more work altogether:
            Maintain more info, keep more links,
            keep contact with ebern more people,
            and confuse the hell out of the users.

            I'd *really* appreciate if you guys would get
            your stuff together and decide on *one* person
            to maintain *the* MacVim on ftp.vim.org.

            I know this won't solve the requests for
            "please make me a binary with +perl"
            but then again it's Apple's problem that
            there they don't supply a free compiler..

            Sven
          • G. Mark Stewart
            Message 5 of 12 , May 9 12:30 PM
              Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
              look at to show the differences between VIM and VI? Or are my
              own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
              As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
              that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
              which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?

              Mark

              Sven Guckes wrote:

              > * Axel Kielhorn <Axel.noSpam@...> [000416 15:23]:
              > > >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
              > > >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
              > > >setting "set isprint=@,~-255" those changes are unnecessary. (On
              > > >Windows, the above setting is the default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)
              > > This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
              > > non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.
              >
              > Well, was it possible for you to produce a new version?
              >
              > Also, could we please decide on a
              > MacVim to be *the* official one?
              >
              > I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:
              >
              > MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
              > However, there are three sites with updates:
              > Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
              > and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
              > Please let me know which version you are using.
              >
              > For me it means more work altogether:
              > Maintain more info, keep more links,
              > keep contact with ebern more people,
              > and confuse the hell out of the users.
              >
              > I'd *really* appreciate if you guys would get
              > your stuff together and decide on *one* person
              > to maintain *the* MacVim on ftp.vim.org.
              >
              > I know this won't solve the requests for
              > "please make me a binary with +perl"
              > but then again it's Apple's problem that
              > there they don't supply a free compiler..
              >
              > Sven
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 12 , May 9 1:22 PM
                Mark Stewart wrote:

                > Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
                > look at to show the differences between VIM and VI?

                :help vi-differences

                > Or are my
                > own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
                > As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
                > that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
                > which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?

                This should work in Vim exactly like it does in Vi. Did you remap ' to `
                perhaps?

                --
                This is an airconditioned room, do not open Windows.

              • Leedsnet
                Message 7 of 12 , May 9 1:22 PM
                  At 03:44 PM 5/9/00, Sven Guckes wrote:
                  >I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:
                  >
                  > MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
                  > However, there are three sites with updates:
                  > Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
                  > and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
                  > Please let me know which version you are using.

                  I have tried to find an official MacVim site from the vim
                  pages and have not been successful. Could you post
                  a url where the full comte of what you are 'sick of telling
                  people' can be found.

                  I am also looking for a copy of a recent 'os_mac.c' I
                  have been able to find or make for myself everything
                  else.

                  >I know this won't solve the requests for
                  >"please make me a binary with +perl"
                  >but then again it's Apple's problem that
                  >there they don't supply a free compiler.

                  Maybe they don't & may be they should, but you may
                  find this < URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/ >
                  interesting.

                  Ben.
                  --
                  Leedsnet - The information resource for Leeds and the West Riding
                  < URL:http://www.leedsnet.com/ >
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 9 1:33 PM
                    I'll check it out -- thanks!

                    Mark

                    Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Mark Stewart wrote:
                    >
                    > > Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
                    > > look at to show the differences between VIM and VI?
                    >
                    > :help vi-differences
                    >
                    > > Or are my
                    > > own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
                    > > As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
                    > > that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
                    > > which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?
                    >
                    > This should work in Vim exactly like it does in Vi. Did you remap ' to `
                    > perhaps?
                    >
                    > --
                    > This is an airconditioned room, do not open Windows.
                    >
                    > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
                    > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/
                  • david craig
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 10 9:46 AM
                      Ben-
                      On Tue, 9 May 2000, Leedsnet wrote:
                      > I have tried to find an official MacVim site from the vim pages
                      > and have not been successful. Could you post a url where the full
                      > comte of what you are 'sick of telling people' can be found.

                      What links I am aware of can be found on my core-dump of links at
                      about

                      <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/Marks/code.html#corporate>

                      David

                      <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
                    • Sven Guckes
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 10 10:52 AM
                        * Leedsnet <info@...> [000510 08:31]:

                        http://www.vim.org/macs.html

                        > Could you post a url where the full comte of what
                        > you are 'sick of telling people' can be found.

                        I could put all this onto the webpage -
                        but so far I have refrained from doing so.
                        I hope that this "official" page can simply
                        say "get your MacVim from any ftp mirror"...

                        > >I know this won't solve the requests for
                        > >"please make me a binary with +perl"
                        > >but then again it's Apple's problem that
                        > >there they don't supply a free compiler.
                        > Maybe they don't & may be they should,
                        > but you may find [MPW] interesting.
                        > http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/

                        I have seen MPW - years ago.
                        Has it become any better?
                        I mean, has it become usable? ;-)
                        Anyone?

                        PS: "Ben/Leedsnet" - I had to "confirm"
                        your postings before they got onto the list.
                        So please subscribe if you want to post.
                        And fix the From: line to show your name.
                        Thanks!

                        Sven

                        --
                        Sven Guckes guckes@... --- Archive: http://www.egroups.com/list/vim-mac