Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

  • Chris Allen
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
      On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
      > In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
      > vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

      Ah, interesting. Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
      probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
      not work when compiled with +multibyte. I had previously just assumed
      that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI (why
      anyone would compile without multibyte in this day and age is a
      mystery to me), but when you suggested an ATSUI problem I did a build
      without multibyte and found underlining and bold worked again.

      Thanks,
      Chris Allen
    • Jussi Hagman
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
        On 24.10.2005, at 13:47, Chris Allen wrote:

        > On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
        >
        > Ah, interesting. Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
        > probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
        > not work when compiled with +multibyte. I had previously just assumed
        > that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI

        Well, that must be the reason then. :(

        I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
        with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
        I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
        post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

        Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
        On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

        Greetings,
        Jussi

      • Chris Allen
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
          On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
          > Well, that must be the reason then. :(

          Yes, it is very disappointing. I generally use console Vim on OS X
          just because it is so much better than the GUI. Sadly, the OS X
          Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too! Using xterm is
          just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.
          Ah well.

          > I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
          > with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
          > I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
          > post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

          I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
          italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI. I suspect it is
          just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
          now. I'm not at all familiar with the Apple libraries, so it would
          take me ages to do anything productive, even if I had time.

          > Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
          > On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

          It does not. I won't complain, though, at the font size I use. If I
          increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
          wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
          drawing bugs.

          Thanks,
          Chris Allen
        • Jussi Hagman
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
            On 25.10.2005, at 13:08, Chris Allen wrote:

            > On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Well, that must be the reason then. :(
            >>

            > Yes, it is very disappointing. I generally use console Vim on OS X
            > just because it is so much better than the GUI. Sadly, the OS X
            > Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too! Using xterm is
            > just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.

            You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
            GUI version is broken in various ways and the terminal on OS X is
            quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

            I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
            unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
            hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
            would find it an interesting project to work on.

            >> I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
            >> with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
            >> I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
            >> post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..
            >>

            > I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
            > italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI. I suspect it is
            > just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
            > now.

            Sure it can be done and I'll try to take a look into it when I have
            more time. But switching to QuickDraw rendering is the quick fix if
            that is needed.

            > It does not. I won't complain, though, at the font size I use. If I
            > increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
            > wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
            > drawing bugs.

            OK. Thanks for the information.

            Greetings,
            Jussi

          • Chris Allen
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
              On 25/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
              > You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
              > GUI version is broken in various ways

              Indeed. I think it would probably benefit from being broken up into
              pre- and post-OS X files, but that view is based only on casual
              inspection while chasing down bugs.

              > and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

              I'm sorry to hear that, I was hoping it would be better when I finally
              got around to upgrading.

              > I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
              > unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
              > hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
              > would find it an interesting project to work on.

              I wouldn't mind helping, since I think Vim deserves to shine
              everywhere, but I haven't got the time just at the moment. I am
              hoping that I will at some point, but my student years full of free
              time are well behind me ;)

              > OK. Thanks for the information.

              No problem, thank you for taking an interest in the problem!

              Chris Allen
            • Marvin Humphrey
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:01 AM, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                > Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The GUI version is broken
                > in various ways and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still
                > is on 10.4...

                I'm using one of the 6.3 binaries on OS X 10.4, and it's buggy but
                usable. I use the GUI version, as it has two advantages over the
                terminal version that I'd rather not live without:

                * I don't have to ":se nosmartindent" every time I want
                to paste something from the external clipboard.
                * Syntax coloring is SO much better.

                From a satisfied customer,

                Marvin Humphrey
                Rectangular Research
                http://www.rectangular.com/
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 21, 2005
                  [Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on a trip to Uganda and
                  I'm still catching up with e-mail.]

                  Jussi Hagman wrote:

                  > On 9.10.2005, at 19:20, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
                  > > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.
                  >
                  > I have a provisional patch ripped quite directly from gui_gtk_x11.c
                  > for this. The undercurl works with both ATSU and QT text. At the
                  > moment there seems to be some cosmetic issues on the mac.
                  >
                  > How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                  > unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?

                  Any kind of context diff will do.

                  > What changes are needed in the autotools front if the macintosh gui
                  > would be split in separate OS X and pre-OS X files? At the moment the
                  >
                  > source is quite hard to read because of the intermixing of ATSUI, non-
                  > ATSUI, Carbon and pre-Carbon code.

                  Can we drop the pre-OS X support in Vim 7? That would make things
                  simpler. People who run OS 9 can probably keep using Vim 6.4.

                  > In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
                  > vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

                  It works for me, but not always. There are problems with utf-8 text
                  and/or composing characters.

                  121. You ask for e-mail adresses instead of telephone numbers.

                • Jussi Hagman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                    On 21.11.2005, at 23:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Jussi Hagman wrote:
                    >

                    >> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                    >> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
                    >
                    > Any kind of context diff will do.

                    OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
                    the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                    newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                    Greetings,
                    Jussi
                  • Jussi Hagman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                      On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                      > OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
                      > of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                      > newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                      Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of Internet...
                      Here is the patch again:

                      RCS file: /cvsroot/vim/vim7/src/gui_mac.c,v
                      retrieving revision 1.20
                      diff -c -r1.20 gui_mac.c
                      *** src/gui_mac.c 1 Sep 2005 20:36:23 -0000 1.20
                      --- src/gui_mac.c 25 Nov 2005 19:11:13 -0000
                      ***************
                      *** 4300,4305 ****
                      --- 4300,4328 ----
                      {
                      }

                      + /*
                      + * Draw undercurl at the bottom of the character cell.
                      + */
                      + static void
                      + draw_undercurl(int flags, int row, int col, int cells)
                      + {
                      + int i;
                      + int offset;
                      + const static int val[8] = {1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 2, 2 };
                      + int y = FILL_Y(row + 1) - 1;
                      +
                      + ForeColor(redColor);
                      +
                      + offset = val[FILL_X(col) % 8];
                      + MoveTo(FILL_X(col), y - offset);
                      +
                      + for (i = FILL_X(col); i < FILL_X(col + cells); ++i)
                      + {
                      + offset = val[i % 8];
                      + LineTo(i, y - offset);
                      + }
                      + }
                      +
                      void
                      gui_mch_draw_string(row, col, s, len, flags)
                      int row;
                      ***************
                      *** 4451,4456 ****
                      --- 4474,4484 ----
                      #endif
                      }

                      + if (flags & DRAW_UNDERC)
                      + {
                      + draw_undercurl(flags, row, col, len);
                      + }
                      +
                      #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
                      vim_free(tofree);
                      #endif

                    • Alan Schmitt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                        On 25 nov. 05, at 20:37, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                        > On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:
                        >>
                        >> OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
                        >> of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                        >> newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.
                        >
                        > Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of
                        > Internet... Here is the patch again:

                        Thanks a lot for the patch. Bram, can you let us know when it gets
                        integrated into the tarball?

                        Alan

                        --
                        Alan Schmitt <http://sardes.inrialpes.fr/~aschmitt/>

                        The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
                        happen.
                        .O.
                        ..O
                        OOO
                      • Bram Moolenaar
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 26, 2005
                          Jussi Hagman wrote:

                          > >> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                          > >> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
                          > >
                          > > Any kind of context diff will do.
                          >
                          > OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
                          > the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                          > newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                          Thanks. I notice you use a fixed color, but I can see how to use
                          RGBForeColor(). I'll try it out... Works fine!

                          213. Your kids start referring to you as "that guy in front of the monitor."