Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

  • Jussi Hagman
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 23, 2005
      On 9.10.2005, at 19:20, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
      > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.

      I have a provisional patch ripped quite directly from gui_gtk_x11.c
      for this. The undercurl works with both ATSU and QT text. At the
      moment there seems to be some cosmetic issues on the mac.

      How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
      unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?

      What changes are needed in the autotools front if the macintosh gui
      would be split in separate OS X and pre-OS X files? At the moment the
      source is quite hard to read because of the intermixing of ATSUI, non-
      ATSUI, Carbon and pre-Carbon code.

      In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
      vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

      Greetings,
      Jussi

    • Chris Allen
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
        On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
        > In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
        > vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

        Ah, interesting. Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
        probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
        not work when compiled with +multibyte. I had previously just assumed
        that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI (why
        anyone would compile without multibyte in this day and age is a
        mystery to me), but when you suggested an ATSUI problem I did a build
        without multibyte and found underlining and bold worked again.

        Thanks,
        Chris Allen
      • Jussi Hagman
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
          On 24.10.2005, at 13:47, Chris Allen wrote:

          > On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
          >
          > Ah, interesting. Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
          > probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
          > not work when compiled with +multibyte. I had previously just assumed
          > that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI

          Well, that must be the reason then. :(

          I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
          with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
          I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
          post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

          Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
          On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

          Greetings,
          Jussi

        • Chris Allen
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
            On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
            > Well, that must be the reason then. :(

            Yes, it is very disappointing. I generally use console Vim on OS X
            just because it is so much better than the GUI. Sadly, the OS X
            Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too! Using xterm is
            just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.
            Ah well.

            > I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
            > with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
            > I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
            > post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

            I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
            italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI. I suspect it is
            just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
            now. I'm not at all familiar with the Apple libraries, so it would
            take me ages to do anything productive, even if I had time.

            > Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
            > On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

            It does not. I won't complain, though, at the font size I use. If I
            increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
            wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
            drawing bugs.

            Thanks,
            Chris Allen
          • Jussi Hagman
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
              On 25.10.2005, at 13:08, Chris Allen wrote:

              > On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Well, that must be the reason then. :(
              >>

              > Yes, it is very disappointing. I generally use console Vim on OS X
              > just because it is so much better than the GUI. Sadly, the OS X
              > Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too! Using xterm is
              > just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.

              You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
              GUI version is broken in various ways and the terminal on OS X is
              quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

              I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
              unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
              hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
              would find it an interesting project to work on.

              >> I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
              >> with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
              >> I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
              >> post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..
              >>

              > I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
              > italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI. I suspect it is
              > just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
              > now.

              Sure it can be done and I'll try to take a look into it when I have
              more time. But switching to QuickDraw rendering is the quick fix if
              that is needed.

              > It does not. I won't complain, though, at the font size I use. If I
              > increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
              > wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
              > drawing bugs.

              OK. Thanks for the information.

              Greetings,
              Jussi

            • Chris Allen
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                On 25/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
                > You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
                > GUI version is broken in various ways

                Indeed. I think it would probably benefit from being broken up into
                pre- and post-OS X files, but that view is based only on casual
                inspection while chasing down bugs.

                > and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

                I'm sorry to hear that, I was hoping it would be better when I finally
                got around to upgrading.

                > I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
                > unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
                > hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
                > would find it an interesting project to work on.

                I wouldn't mind helping, since I think Vim deserves to shine
                everywhere, but I haven't got the time just at the moment. I am
                hoping that I will at some point, but my student years full of free
                time are well behind me ;)

                > OK. Thanks for the information.

                No problem, thank you for taking an interest in the problem!

                Chris Allen
              • Marvin Humphrey
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                  On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:01 AM, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                  > Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The GUI version is broken
                  > in various ways and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still
                  > is on 10.4...

                  I'm using one of the 6.3 binaries on OS X 10.4, and it's buggy but
                  usable. I use the GUI version, as it has two advantages over the
                  terminal version that I'd rather not live without:

                  * I don't have to ":se nosmartindent" every time I want
                  to paste something from the external clipboard.
                  * Syntax coloring is SO much better.

                  From a satisfied customer,

                  Marvin Humphrey
                  Rectangular Research
                  http://www.rectangular.com/
                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 21, 2005
                    [Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on a trip to Uganda and
                    I'm still catching up with e-mail.]

                    Jussi Hagman wrote:

                    > On 9.10.2005, at 19:20, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
                    > > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.
                    >
                    > I have a provisional patch ripped quite directly from gui_gtk_x11.c
                    > for this. The undercurl works with both ATSU and QT text. At the
                    > moment there seems to be some cosmetic issues on the mac.
                    >
                    > How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                    > unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?

                    Any kind of context diff will do.

                    > What changes are needed in the autotools front if the macintosh gui
                    > would be split in separate OS X and pre-OS X files? At the moment the
                    >
                    > source is quite hard to read because of the intermixing of ATSUI, non-
                    > ATSUI, Carbon and pre-Carbon code.

                    Can we drop the pre-OS X support in Vim 7? That would make things
                    simpler. People who run OS 9 can probably keep using Vim 6.4.

                    > In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
                    > vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

                    It works for me, but not always. There are problems with utf-8 text
                    and/or composing characters.

                    121. You ask for e-mail adresses instead of telephone numbers.

                  • Jussi Hagman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                      On 21.11.2005, at 23:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                      > Jussi Hagman wrote:
                      >

                      >> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                      >> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
                      >
                      > Any kind of context diff will do.

                      OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
                      the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                      newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                      Greetings,
                      Jussi
                    • Jussi Hagman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                        On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                        > OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
                        > of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                        > newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                        Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of Internet...
                        Here is the patch again:

                        RCS file: /cvsroot/vim/vim7/src/gui_mac.c,v
                        retrieving revision 1.20
                        diff -c -r1.20 gui_mac.c
                        *** src/gui_mac.c 1 Sep 2005 20:36:23 -0000 1.20
                        --- src/gui_mac.c 25 Nov 2005 19:11:13 -0000
                        ***************
                        *** 4300,4305 ****
                        --- 4300,4328 ----
                        {
                        }

                        + /*
                        + * Draw undercurl at the bottom of the character cell.
                        + */
                        + static void
                        + draw_undercurl(int flags, int row, int col, int cells)
                        + {
                        + int i;
                        + int offset;
                        + const static int val[8] = {1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 2, 2 };
                        + int y = FILL_Y(row + 1) - 1;
                        +
                        + ForeColor(redColor);
                        +
                        + offset = val[FILL_X(col) % 8];
                        + MoveTo(FILL_X(col), y - offset);
                        +
                        + for (i = FILL_X(col); i < FILL_X(col + cells); ++i)
                        + {
                        + offset = val[i % 8];
                        + LineTo(i, y - offset);
                        + }
                        + }
                        +
                        void
                        gui_mch_draw_string(row, col, s, len, flags)
                        int row;
                        ***************
                        *** 4451,4456 ****
                        --- 4474,4484 ----
                        #endif
                        }

                        + if (flags & DRAW_UNDERC)
                        + {
                        + draw_undercurl(flags, row, col, len);
                        + }
                        +
                        #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
                        vim_free(tofree);
                        #endif

                      • Alan Schmitt
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                          On 25 nov. 05, at 20:37, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                          > On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:
                          >>
                          >> OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
                          >> of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                          >> newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.
                          >
                          > Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of
                          > Internet... Here is the patch again:

                          Thanks a lot for the patch. Bram, can you let us know when it gets
                          integrated into the tarball?

                          Alan

                          --
                          Alan Schmitt <http://sardes.inrialpes.fr/~aschmitt/>

                          The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
                          happen.
                          .O.
                          ..O
                          OOO
                        • Bram Moolenaar
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 26, 2005
                            Jussi Hagman wrote:

                            > >> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                            > >> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
                            > >
                            > > Any kind of context diff will do.
                            >
                            > OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
                            > the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                            > newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                            Thanks. I notice you use a fixed color, but I can see how to use
                            RGBForeColor(). I'll try it out... Works fine!

                            213. Your kids start referring to you as "that guy in front of the monitor."