:hardcopy utf-8 file in vim 7.00a

  • Lukas Muehlethaler
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2005
      before I try any harder: Is :ha[rdcopy] of utf-8 encoded files on Mac
      OS X supposed to work? Looked through the archives but didn't find
      anything recent.

      On CVS Vim 7.00a (Oct 13, 2005) with set enc=utf-8 and set penc=utf-8
      it doesn't.

      Thanks for any help!

      Lukas
    • Jussi Hagman
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2005
        On 19.10.2005, at 18:21, Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:

        > before I try any harder: Is :ha[rdcopy] of utf-8 encoded files on
        > Mac OS X supposed to work? Looked through the archives but didn't
        > find anything recent.

        I can tell that it is not working for me either. I don't know if it
        should be working at the moment. The error message is "E673:
        Incompatible multi-byte encoding and character set.".

        The problem seems not to be in mac-specific part of vim code.

        Greetings,
        Jussi

      • Mike Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2005
          Jussi Hagman did utter on 26/10/2005 03:25:

          > On 19.10.2005, at 18:21, Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:
          >
          >> before I try any harder: Is :ha[rdcopy] of utf-8 encoded files on Mac
          >> OS X supposed to work? Looked through the archives but didn't find
          >> anything recent.
          >

          > I can tell that it is not working for me either. I don't know if it
          > should be working at the moment. The error message is "E673:
          > Incompatible multi-byte encoding and character set.".
          >
          > The problem seems not to be in mac-specific part of vim code.

          This is the rply I sent to the vim mailing list:

          penc should be set for a specific character set, not encoding. Except
          for CJK character sets where encoding is significant. Hopefully the VIM
          7 docs includes the right words about this. hardcopy does not support
          multiple character sets in a single print at the moment IIRC.

          HTH

          Mike
          --
          Is a cow that does not give milk an udder failure?
        • Lukas Muehlethaler
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2005
            thanks for the correction; penc shouldn't be set to utf-8 of course, it
            shouldn't be set at all. The problem remains that Vim 7 (compiled with
            multibyte) produces an E673 when asked to print an utf-8 file with
            regular text (the file contains the sentence "The quick brown fox
            jumped over the lazy dogs"); Vim 6.4 (compiled with multibyte) prints
            the same file. On the other hand, Vim 7 properly displays characters
            like capital H with a dot below (7716/U+1E24); in Vim 6.4 the same
            character appears as an inverted question mark.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 26, 2005
              Lukas Muehlethaler did utter on 26/10/2005 13:24:
              > thanks for the correction; penc shouldn't be set to utf-8 of course, it
              > shouldn't be set at all. The problem remains that Vim 7 (compiled with
              > multibyte) produces an E673 when asked to print an utf-8 file with
              > regular text (the file contains the sentence "The quick brown fox jumped
              > over the lazy dogs"); Vim 6.4 (compiled with multibyte) prints the same
              > file. On the other hand, Vim 7 properly displays characters like capital
              > H with a dot below (7716/U+1E24); in Vim 6.4 the same character appears
              > as an inverted question mark.

              IIRC 6.4 defaults to latin1 character set and any character not in this
              set is replaced with the inverted question mark.

              vim7 is work in progress and it sounds like there have been changes to
              try and automate character set selection when printing. I can't comment
              on that as I haven't had time to track recent vim development.

              > On Oct 26, 2005, at 6:31 AM, Mike Williams wrote:
              >
              >> Jussi Hagman did utter on 26/10/2005 03:25:

              >>> I can tell that it is not working for me either. I don't know if it
              >>> should be working at the moment. The error message is "E673:
              >>> Incompatible multi-byte encoding and character set.".
              >>> The problem seems not to be in mac-specific part of vim code.
              >>

              >> This is the rply I sent to the vim mailing list:
              >>
              >> penc should be set for a specific character set, not encoding. Except
              >> for CJK character sets where encoding is significant. Hopefully the
              >> VIM 7 docs includes the right words about this. hardcopy does not
              >> support multiple character sets in a single print at the moment IIRC.
              >>
              >> HTH
              >>
              >> Mike
              >> --
              >> Is a cow that does not give milk an udder failure?

              Mike
              --
              Quick to judge, quick to anger... slow to understand.
            • Lukas Muehlethaler
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 26, 2005
                in the meanwhile:

                nmap :ha :!open -a TextEdit % <CR>

                :o)

                I'm sure that with a little (apple)script (which I don't know how to
                write) one could map :ha to print directly through TextEdit...