Re: vim 6.4 for OSX 10.3 and 10.4

  • Bem Ajani Jones-Bey
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2005
      On Oct 18, 2005, at 7:06, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > Even with "normal" features (instead of "huge") and no other
      > interfaces, the build fails when I try to add +ruby on 10.4.

      I just recently built Vim 6.4 on Tiger with Ruby, and it worked for
      me. I think that the problem is that the Tiger Ruby configuration is
      somewhat broken. The rbconfig.rb has compiler flags that don't work
      with apple's shipped compiler.

      The Ruby on Rails people have a fix for the problem, you can find
      more info here:
      http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/archives/2005/04/30/fixing-ruby-on-os-x-
      tiger/

      Installing the fixrbconfig gem worked for me, but if you don't want
      to use Gem, or want more information on what it does, I got my
      original information from this page when I was trying to get Rails to
      work:
      http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoInstallOnOSXTiger#4

      Hope this helps.

      Peace,
      Bem
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2005
        On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 08:24:55AM -0700, Bem Ajani Jones-Bey wrote:
        > On Oct 18, 2005, at 7:06, Benji Fisher wrote:
        >
        > >Even with "normal" features (instead of "huge") and no other
        > >interfaces, the build fails when I try to add +ruby on 10.4.
        >
        > I just recently built Vim 6.4 on Tiger with Ruby, and it worked for
        > me. I think that the problem is that the Tiger Ruby configuration is
        > somewhat broken. The rbconfig.rb has compiler flags that don't work
        > with apple's shipped compiler.
        >
        > The Ruby on Rails people have a fix for the problem, you can find
        > more info here:
        > http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/archives/2005/04/30/fixing-ruby-on-os-x-
        > tiger/
        >
        > Installing the fixrbconfig gem worked for me, but if you don't want
        > to use Gem, or want more information on what it does, I got my
        > original information from this page when I was trying to get Rails to
        > work:
        > http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoInstallOnOSXTiger#4
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Peace,
        > Bem

        Bem:

        Thanks for the pointers. If this works, I will try to post a new
        binary within a few days. Is there anything we can add to the standard
        vim distribution so that it works OOTB? Maybe the problem will go away
        when Apple releases 10.4.1.

        --Benji