Re: Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

  • Lukas Muehlethaler
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 9, 2005
      Dear Bram, dear Chris,

      thank you very much for your help! With the colorscheme inkpot and
      guifont=Courier:h12 the following works (in .gvimrc):

      hi SpellBad guifg=Magenta (or any other color)
      hi SpellCap guifg=Red
      hi SpellRare guifg=Yellow
      hi SpellLocal guifg=Blue

      Alternatively:

      hi SpellBad gui=standout guifg=Magenta
      hi SpellCap gui=standout guifg=Red
      hi SpellRare gui=standout guifg=Yellow
      hi SpellLocal gui=standout guifg=Blue

      I am sure somebody has a better solution that works for most
      colorschemes!

      On Oct 9, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:
      >
      >> I compiled Vim 7.0aa (CVS Oct 4) on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2, both
      >> with
      >> GUI (Carbon) and without. The spellcheck feature works in both
      >> versions
      >> (']s', 'z?', etc.), but only the non-GUI version (in Terminal.app)
      >> highlights misspelled words---the GUI version doesn't. By the way, I
      >> enabled the +syntax feature at compile time and removed .vim and .gvim
      >> just in case...
      >
      > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
      > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this. Examples
      > can be found in the GTK and Win32 files: gui_gtk_x11.c function
      > draw_under() and gui_w32.c gui_mch_draw_string().
      >
      > --
      > "You're fired." (1980)
      > "You're laid off." (1985)
      > "You're downsized." (1990)
      > "You're rightsized." (1992)
      > (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)
      >
      > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
      > \\\
      > /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features --
      > http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
      > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org
      > ///
      > \\\ Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/lotr.html
      > ///

    • Jussi Hagman
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 23, 2005
        On 9.10.2005, at 19:20, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
        > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.

        I have a provisional patch ripped quite directly from gui_gtk_x11.c
        for this. The undercurl works with both ATSU and QT text. At the
        moment there seems to be some cosmetic issues on the mac.

        How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
        unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?

        What changes are needed in the autotools front if the macintosh gui
        would be split in separate OS X and pre-OS X files? At the moment the
        source is quite hard to read because of the intermixing of ATSUI, non-
        ATSUI, Carbon and pre-Carbon code.

        In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
        vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

        Greetings,
        Jussi

      • Chris Allen
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
          On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
          > In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
          > vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

          Ah, interesting. Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
          probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
          not work when compiled with +multibyte. I had previously just assumed
          that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI (why
          anyone would compile without multibyte in this day and age is a
          mystery to me), but when you suggested an ATSUI problem I did a build
          without multibyte and found underlining and bold worked again.

          Thanks,
          Chris Allen
        • Jussi Hagman
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
            On 24.10.2005, at 13:47, Chris Allen wrote:

            > On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
            >
            > Ah, interesting. Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
            > probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
            > not work when compiled with +multibyte. I had previously just assumed
            > that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI

            Well, that must be the reason then. :(

            I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
            with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
            I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
            post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

            Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
            On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

            Greetings,
            Jussi

          • Chris Allen
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
              On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
              > Well, that must be the reason then. :(

              Yes, it is very disappointing. I generally use console Vim on OS X
              just because it is so much better than the GUI. Sadly, the OS X
              Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too! Using xterm is
              just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.
              Ah well.

              > I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
              > with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
              > I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
              > post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

              I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
              italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI. I suspect it is
              just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
              now. I'm not at all familiar with the Apple libraries, so it would
              take me ages to do anything productive, even if I had time.

              > Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
              > On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

              It does not. I won't complain, though, at the font size I use. If I
              increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
              wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
              drawing bugs.

              Thanks,
              Chris Allen
            • Jussi Hagman
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                On 25.10.2005, at 13:08, Chris Allen wrote:

                > On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Well, that must be the reason then. :(
                >>

                > Yes, it is very disappointing. I generally use console Vim on OS X
                > just because it is so much better than the GUI. Sadly, the OS X
                > Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too! Using xterm is
                > just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.

                You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
                GUI version is broken in various ways and the terminal on OS X is
                quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

                I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
                unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
                hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
                would find it an interesting project to work on.

                >> I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
                >> with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
                >> I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
                >> post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..
                >>

                > I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
                > italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI. I suspect it is
                > just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
                > now.

                Sure it can be done and I'll try to take a look into it when I have
                more time. But switching to QuickDraw rendering is the quick fix if
                that is needed.

                > It does not. I won't complain, though, at the font size I use. If I
                > increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
                > wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
                > drawing bugs.

                OK. Thanks for the information.

                Greetings,
                Jussi

              • Chris Allen
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                  On 25/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
                  > You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
                  > GUI version is broken in various ways

                  Indeed. I think it would probably benefit from being broken up into
                  pre- and post-OS X files, but that view is based only on casual
                  inspection while chasing down bugs.

                  > and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

                  I'm sorry to hear that, I was hoping it would be better when I finally
                  got around to upgrading.

                  > I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
                  > unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
                  > hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
                  > would find it an interesting project to work on.

                  I wouldn't mind helping, since I think Vim deserves to shine
                  everywhere, but I haven't got the time just at the moment. I am
                  hoping that I will at some point, but my student years full of free
                  time are well behind me ;)

                  > OK. Thanks for the information.

                  No problem, thank you for taking an interest in the problem!

                  Chris Allen
                • Marvin Humphrey
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                    On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:01 AM, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                    > Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The GUI version is broken
                    > in various ways and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still
                    > is on 10.4...

                    I'm using one of the 6.3 binaries on OS X 10.4, and it's buggy but
                    usable. I use the GUI version, as it has two advantages over the
                    terminal version that I'd rather not live without:

                    * I don't have to ":se nosmartindent" every time I want
                    to paste something from the external clipboard.
                    * Syntax coloring is SO much better.

                    From a satisfied customer,

                    Marvin Humphrey
                    Rectangular Research
                    http://www.rectangular.com/
                  • Bram Moolenaar
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 21, 2005
                      [Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on a trip to Uganda and
                      I'm still catching up with e-mail.]

                      Jussi Hagman wrote:

                      > On 9.10.2005, at 19:20, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
                      > > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.
                      >
                      > I have a provisional patch ripped quite directly from gui_gtk_x11.c
                      > for this. The undercurl works with both ATSU and QT text. At the
                      > moment there seems to be some cosmetic issues on the mac.
                      >
                      > How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                      > unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?

                      Any kind of context diff will do.

                      > What changes are needed in the autotools front if the macintosh gui
                      > would be split in separate OS X and pre-OS X files? At the moment the
                      >
                      > source is quite hard to read because of the intermixing of ATSUI, non-
                      > ATSUI, Carbon and pre-Carbon code.

                      Can we drop the pre-OS X support in Vim 7? That would make things
                      simpler. People who run OS 9 can probably keep using Vim 6.4.

                      > In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
                      > vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

                      It works for me, but not always. There are problems with utf-8 text
                      and/or composing characters.

                      121. You ask for e-mail adresses instead of telephone numbers.

                    • Jussi Hagman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                        On 21.11.2005, at 23:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        > Jussi Hagman wrote:
                        >

                        >> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                        >> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
                        >
                        > Any kind of context diff will do.

                        OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
                        the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                        newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                        Greetings,
                        Jussi
                      • Jussi Hagman
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                          On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                          > OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
                          > of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                          > newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                          Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of Internet...
                          Here is the patch again:

                          RCS file: /cvsroot/vim/vim7/src/gui_mac.c,v
                          retrieving revision 1.20
                          diff -c -r1.20 gui_mac.c
                          *** src/gui_mac.c 1 Sep 2005 20:36:23 -0000 1.20
                          --- src/gui_mac.c 25 Nov 2005 19:11:13 -0000
                          ***************
                          *** 4300,4305 ****
                          --- 4300,4328 ----
                          {
                          }

                          + /*
                          + * Draw undercurl at the bottom of the character cell.
                          + */
                          + static void
                          + draw_undercurl(int flags, int row, int col, int cells)
                          + {
                          + int i;
                          + int offset;
                          + const static int val[8] = {1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 2, 2 };
                          + int y = FILL_Y(row + 1) - 1;
                          +
                          + ForeColor(redColor);
                          +
                          + offset = val[FILL_X(col) % 8];
                          + MoveTo(FILL_X(col), y - offset);
                          +
                          + for (i = FILL_X(col); i < FILL_X(col + cells); ++i)
                          + {
                          + offset = val[i % 8];
                          + LineTo(i, y - offset);
                          + }
                          + }
                          +
                          void
                          gui_mch_draw_string(row, col, s, len, flags)
                          int row;
                          ***************
                          *** 4451,4456 ****
                          --- 4474,4484 ----
                          #endif
                          }

                          + if (flags & DRAW_UNDERC)
                          + {
                          + draw_undercurl(flags, row, col, len);
                          + }
                          +
                          #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
                          vim_free(tofree);
                          #endif

                        • Alan Schmitt
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                            On 25 nov. 05, at 20:37, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                            > On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:
                            >>
                            >> OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
                            >> of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                            >> newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.
                            >
                            > Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of
                            > Internet... Here is the patch again:

                            Thanks a lot for the patch. Bram, can you let us know when it gets
                            integrated into the tarball?

                            Alan

                            --
                            Alan Schmitt <http://sardes.inrialpes.fr/~aschmitt/>

                            The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
                            happen.
                            .O.
                            ..O
                            OOO
                          • Bram Moolenaar
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 26, 2005
                              Jussi Hagman wrote:

                              > >> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                              > >> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
                              > >
                              > > Any kind of context diff will do.
                              >
                              > OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
                              > the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                              > newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                              Thanks. I notice you use a fixed color, but I can see how to use
                              RGBForeColor(). I'll try it out... Works fine!

                              213. Your kids start referring to you as "that guy in front of the monitor."