Problem with spell highlighting in gvim 7.0aa on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2

  • Lukas Muehlethaler
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 9, 2005

      I compiled Vim 7.0aa (CVS Oct 4) on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2, both with
      GUI (Carbon) and without. The spellcheck feature works in both versions
      (']s', 'z?', etc.), but only the non-GUI version (in Terminal.app)
      highlights misspelled words---the GUI version doesn't. By the way, I
      enabled the +syntax feature at compile time and removed .vim and .gvim
      just in case...

      Thanks for your help!

      Lukas

      P.S. Sorry for the crossposting!
    • Chris Allen
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 9, 2005
        On 09/10/05, Lukas Muehlethaler <lukas.muehlethaler@...> wrote:
        > I compiled Vim 7.0aa (CVS Oct 4) on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2, both with
        > GUI (Carbon) and without. The spellcheck feature works in both versions
        > (']s', 'z?', etc.), but only the non-GUI version (in Terminal.app)
        > highlights misspelled words---the GUI version doesn't.

        More generally, underlining and italics do not work for Vim 7 under OS
        X's native GUI. You can temporarily resolve the highlighting issue by
        changing your highlighting settings to something which does not use
        undercurl, underline or italics.

        Regards,
        Chris Allen
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 9, 2005
          Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:

          > I compiled Vim 7.0aa (CVS Oct 4) on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2, both with
          > GUI (Carbon) and without. The spellcheck feature works in both versions
          > (']s', 'z?', etc.), but only the non-GUI version (in Terminal.app)
          > highlights misspelled words---the GUI version doesn't. By the way, I
          > enabled the +syntax feature at compile time and removed .vim and .gvim
          > just in case...

          The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
          hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this. Examples
          can be found in the GTK and Win32 files: gui_gtk_x11.c function
          draw_under() and gui_w32.c gui_mch_draw_string().

          --
          "You're fired." (1980)
          "You're laid off." (1985)

        • Lukas Muehlethaler
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 9, 2005
            Dear Bram, dear Chris,

            thank you very much for your help! With the colorscheme inkpot and
            guifont=Courier:h12 the following works (in .gvimrc):

            hi SpellBad guifg=Magenta (or any other color)
            hi SpellCap guifg=Red
            hi SpellRare guifg=Yellow
            hi SpellLocal guifg=Blue

            Alternatively:

            hi SpellBad gui=standout guifg=Magenta
            hi SpellCap gui=standout guifg=Red
            hi SpellRare gui=standout guifg=Yellow
            hi SpellLocal gui=standout guifg=Blue

            I am sure somebody has a better solution that works for most
            colorschemes!

            On Oct 9, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Lukas Muehlethaler wrote:
            >
            >> I compiled Vim 7.0aa (CVS Oct 4) on Mac OS 10.3.9 and 10.4.2, both
            >> with
            >> GUI (Carbon) and without. The spellcheck feature works in both
            >> versions
            >> (']s', 'z?', etc.), but only the non-GUI version (in Terminal.app)
            >> highlights misspelled words---the GUI version doesn't. By the way, I
            >> enabled the +syntax feature at compile time and removed .vim and .gvim
            >> just in case...
            >
            > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
            > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this. Examples
            > can be found in the GTK and Win32 files: gui_gtk_x11.c function
            > draw_under() and gui_w32.c gui_mch_draw_string().
            >
            > --
            > "You're fired." (1980)
            > "You're laid off." (1985)
            > "You're downsized." (1990)
            > "You're rightsized." (1992)
            > (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)
            >
            > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
            > \\\
            > /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features --
            > http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
            > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org
            > ///
            > \\\ Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/lotr.html
            > ///

          • Jussi Hagman
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 23, 2005
              On 9.10.2005, at 19:20, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
              > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.

              I have a provisional patch ripped quite directly from gui_gtk_x11.c
              for this. The undercurl works with both ATSU and QT text. At the
              moment there seems to be some cosmetic issues on the mac.

              How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
              unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?

              What changes are needed in the autotools front if the macintosh gui
              would be split in separate OS X and pre-OS X files? At the moment the
              source is quite hard to read because of the intermixing of ATSUI, non-
              ATSUI, Carbon and pre-Carbon code.

              In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
              vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

              Greetings,
              Jussi

            • Chris Allen
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
                On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
                > In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
                > vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

                Ah, interesting. Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
                probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
                not work when compiled with +multibyte. I had previously just assumed
                that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI (why
                anyone would compile without multibyte in this day and age is a
                mystery to me), but when you suggested an ATSUI problem I did a build
                without multibyte and found underlining and bold worked again.

                Thanks,
                Chris Allen
              • Jussi Hagman
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 24, 2005
                  On 24.10.2005, at 13:47, Chris Allen wrote:

                  > On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Ah, interesting. Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging -- that is
                  > probably the problem I have (on 10.3) where underlining and bold do
                  > not work when compiled with +multibyte. I had previously just assumed
                  > that underlining and bold did not work at all using the OS X GUI

                  Well, that must be the reason then. :(

                  I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
                  with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
                  I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
                  post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

                  Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
                  On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

                  Greetings,
                  Jussi

                • Chris Allen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                    On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
                    > Well, that must be the reason then. :(

                    Yes, it is very disappointing. I generally use console Vim on OS X
                    just because it is so much better than the GUI. Sadly, the OS X
                    Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too! Using xterm is
                    just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.
                    Ah well.

                    > I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
                    > with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
                    > I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
                    > post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..

                    I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
                    italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI. I suspect it is
                    just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
                    now. I'm not at all familiar with the Apple libraries, so it would
                    take me ages to do anything productive, even if I had time.

                    > Does the ATSUI rendering produce anti-aliased text on vim7 on 10.3?
                    > On 10.4 I get only jagged glyphs.

                    It does not. I won't complain, though, at the font size I use. If I
                    increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
                    wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
                    drawing bugs.

                    Thanks,
                    Chris Allen
                  • Jussi Hagman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                      On 25.10.2005, at 13:08, Chris Allen wrote:

                      > On 24/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Well, that must be the reason then. :(
                      >>

                      > Yes, it is very disappointing. I generally use console Vim on OS X
                      > just because it is so much better than the GUI. Sadly, the OS X
                      > Terminal.app shipped with 10.3 is fairly buggy, too! Using xterm is
                      > just too much work on OS X, since the integration just isn't there.

                      You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
                      GUI version is broken in various ways and the terminal on OS X is
                      quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

                      I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
                      unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
                      hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
                      would find it an interesting project to work on.

                      >> I would guess with some fiddling with the code you can use multibyte
                      >> with the QuickDraw textrendering, but it too could have some issues.
                      >> I have provisional simple patches for undercurl and italic which I'll
                      >> post soon. The italic patch works just with the QuickDraw rendering..
                      >>

                      > I would have thought that with some fiddling the underlining and
                      > italics could probably be made to work with ATSUI. I suspect it is
                      > just an implementation issue, but I haven't got time to look right
                      > now.

                      Sure it can be done and I'll try to take a look into it when I have
                      more time. But switching to QuickDraw rendering is the quick fix if
                      that is needed.

                      > It does not. I won't complain, though, at the font size I use. If I
                      > increase the font size on this machine to something where antialiasing
                      > wouldn't just blur the issue I get a load of minor, but irritating
                      > drawing bugs.

                      OK. Thanks for the information.

                      Greetings,
                      Jussi

                    • Chris Allen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                        On 25/10/05, Jussi Hagman <jhagman@...> wrote:
                        > You're totally right. Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The
                        > GUI version is broken in various ways

                        Indeed. I think it would probably benefit from being broken up into
                        pre- and post-OS X files, but that view is based only on casual
                        inspection while chasing down bugs.

                        > and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still is on 10.4...

                        I'm sorry to hear that, I was hoping it would be better when I finally
                        got around to upgrading.

                        > I was going to use my summer holiday on fixing Vim but I was very
                        > unproductive and lazy. I hope I'll get some patches done now and I
                        > hope there would be new people, in addition to the old timers, who
                        > would find it an interesting project to work on.

                        I wouldn't mind helping, since I think Vim deserves to shine
                        everywhere, but I haven't got the time just at the moment. I am
                        hoping that I will at some point, but my student years full of free
                        time are well behind me ;)

                        > OK. Thanks for the information.

                        No problem, thank you for taking an interest in the problem!

                        Chris Allen
                      • Marvin Humphrey
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 25, 2005
                          On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:01 AM, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                          > Vim on OS X is no joyride at the moment. The GUI version is broken
                          > in various ways and the terminal on OS X is quite bad too, it still
                          > is on 10.4...

                          I'm using one of the 6.3 binaries on OS X 10.4, and it's buggy but
                          usable. I use the GUI version, as it has two advantages over the
                          terminal version that I'd rather not live without:

                          * I don't have to ":se nosmartindent" every time I want
                          to paste something from the external clipboard.
                          * Syntax coloring is SO much better.

                          From a satisfied customer,

                          Marvin Humphrey
                          Rectangular Research
                          http://www.rectangular.com/
                        • Bram Moolenaar
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 21, 2005
                            [Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on a trip to Uganda and
                            I'm still catching up with e-mail.]

                            Jussi Hagman wrote:

                            > On 9.10.2005, at 19:20, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The Mac GUI doesn't support the undercurl yet (curly underlining). I
                            > > hope someone who know how to draw pixels can implement this.
                            >
                            > I have a provisional patch ripped quite directly from gui_gtk_x11.c
                            > for this. The undercurl works with both ATSU and QT text. At the
                            > moment there seems to be some cosmetic issues on the mac.
                            >
                            > How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                            > unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?

                            Any kind of context diff will do.

                            > What changes are needed in the autotools front if the macintosh gui
                            > would be split in separate OS X and pre-OS X files? At the moment the
                            >
                            > source is quite hard to read because of the intermixing of ATSUI, non-
                            > ATSUI, Carbon and pre-Carbon code.

                            Can we drop the pre-OS X support in Vim 7? That would make things
                            simpler. People who run OS 9 can probably keep using Vim 6.4.

                            > In a related note I seem not to get ATSUI text working properly on
                            > vim7 on Tiger. Does it work ok for other mac users?

                            It works for me, but not always. There are problems with utf-8 text
                            and/or composing characters.

                            121. You ask for e-mail adresses instead of telephone numbers.

                          • Jussi Hagman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                              On 21.11.2005, at 23:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                              > Jussi Hagman wrote:
                              >

                              >> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                              >> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
                              >
                              > Any kind of context diff will do.

                              OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
                              the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                              newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                              Greetings,
                              Jussi
                            • Jussi Hagman
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                                On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                                > OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
                                > of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                                > newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                                Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of Internet...
                                Here is the patch again:

                                RCS file: /cvsroot/vim/vim7/src/gui_mac.c,v
                                retrieving revision 1.20
                                diff -c -r1.20 gui_mac.c
                                *** src/gui_mac.c 1 Sep 2005 20:36:23 -0000 1.20
                                --- src/gui_mac.c 25 Nov 2005 19:11:13 -0000
                                ***************
                                *** 4300,4305 ****
                                --- 4300,4328 ----
                                {
                                }

                                + /*
                                + * Draw undercurl at the bottom of the character cell.
                                + */
                                + static void
                                + draw_undercurl(int flags, int row, int col, int cells)
                                + {
                                + int i;
                                + int offset;
                                + const static int val[8] = {1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 2, 2 };
                                + int y = FILL_Y(row + 1) - 1;
                                +
                                + ForeColor(redColor);
                                +
                                + offset = val[FILL_X(col) % 8];
                                + MoveTo(FILL_X(col), y - offset);
                                +
                                + for (i = FILL_X(col); i < FILL_X(col + cells); ++i)
                                + {
                                + offset = val[i % 8];
                                + LineTo(i, y - offset);
                                + }
                                + }
                                +
                                void
                                gui_mch_draw_string(row, col, s, len, flags)
                                int row;
                                ***************
                                *** 4451,4456 ****
                                --- 4474,4484 ----
                                #endif
                                }

                                + if (flags & DRAW_UNDERC)
                                + {
                                + draw_undercurl(flags, row, col, len);
                                + }
                                +
                                #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
                                vim_free(tofree);
                                #endif

                              • Alan Schmitt
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 25, 2005
                                  On 25 nov. 05, at 20:37, Jussi Hagman wrote:

                                  > On 25.11.2005, at 21:27, Jussi Hagman wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently
                                  >> of the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                                  >> newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.
                                  >
                                  > Apparently the attachment did not survive the elements of
                                  > Internet... Here is the patch again:

                                  Thanks a lot for the patch. Bram, can you let us know when it gets
                                  integrated into the tarball?

                                  Alan

                                  --
                                  Alan Schmitt <http://sardes.inrialpes.fr/~aschmitt/>

                                  The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
                                  happen.
                                  .O.
                                  ..O
                                  OOO
                                • Bram Moolenaar
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 26, 2005
                                    Jussi Hagman wrote:

                                    > >> How do you want the patch? Is cvs diff sufficient or should I get
                                    > >> unaltered tree and make manual diff on it?
                                    > >
                                    > > Any kind of context diff will do.
                                    >
                                    > OK, here it is at last. It implements the undercurl independently of
                                    > the text drawing mode. I took a contextual cvs diff against the
                                    > newest CVS so I hope it is a good one.

                                    Thanks. I notice you use a fixed color, but I can see how to use
                                    RGBForeColor(). I'll try it out... Works fine!

                                    213. Your kids start referring to you as "that guy in front of the monitor."