Re: Help with ruby Vim Extensions on OS X Tiger

  • Unnsse Khan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
      Bram,

      When I edited the file by typing:

      Raven:/Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin untz$ gvim ruby.vim

      gvim launched and displayed the contents of ruby.vim

      I then clicked on the ":" and typed this:

      set ff=unixlw

      I got this error message:

      E474 Invalid argument ff=unixlw

      Therefore, nothing is changed and this is still broken...

      Has anyone found a way to correctly install these Vim Extensions on
      OS X Tiger?

      Should I use the RubyGems package manager utility to install the
      necessary vim files?

      When I did a query using RubyGems I discovered a vim-ruby:

      Raven:~ untz$ gem query -rn vim-ruby

      *** REMOTE GEMS ***

      vim-ruby (2005.09.15, 2004.09.20)
      Ruby configuration files for Vim. Run 'vim-ruby-install.rb' to
      complete installation.

      Has anyone used installed this with the VIM 7.0aa ALPHA version on OS
      X? Should I install this version (meaning will it ruin the working
      copy of gvim/vim that I already have installed)?

      Any tips, suggestions, and help are greatly appreciated.....

      Many, many thanks!

      Unnsse

      On Oct 1, 2005, at 3:20 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Unnsse Khan wrote:
      >

      >> Ok, I am using VIM 7.0aa Alpha on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4...
      >>
      >> Here's my problem:
      >>
      >> When ever I launch the Terminal in OS X and type gvim, it actually
      >> does launch gvim, and everything runs fine and dandy but in my shell,
      >> I get this runtime error:
      >>
      >> Error detected while processing /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin/
      >> ruby.vim:
      >> line 1:
      >> E474: Invalid argument: foldmethod=syntax^M
      >> line 2:
      >> E669: Unprintable character in group name
      >> E409: Unknown group name: rubyTodo^M
      >> E475: Invalid argument: rubyComment "#.*" contains=rubyTodo^M
      >> line 3:
      >> E475: Invalid argument: rubyMarkedRegion start="#begin_region"
      >> end="#end_region" contains=rubyTodo fold ^M
      >>

      > Your ruby.vim apparently is in dos fileformat. I should be unix.
      >
      > Edit the file and do ":set ff=unix|w".
      >
      > --
      > A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp
      > during a church
      > service.
      > [real standing law in Nebraska, United States of America]
      >
      > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://
      > www.Moolenaar.net \\\
      > /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/
      > sponsor/ \\\
      > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-
      > P.org ///
      > \\\ Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/
      > lotr.html ///

    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        Unnsse Khan wrote:
        > Bram,
        >
        > When I edited the file by typing:
        >
        > Raven:/Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin untz$ gvim ruby.vim
        >
        > gvim launched and displayed the contents of ruby.vim
        >
        > I then clicked on the ":" and typed this:
        >
        > set ff=unixlw

        > I got this error message:
        >
        > E474 Invalid argument ff=unixlw
        >
        > Therefore, nothing is changed and this is still broken...
        [...]

        It's not unixlw (unix ell doubleu) it's unix|w (unix bar doubleu). Or
        you could also do

        :set ff=unix
        :w

        No need to click with the mouse, you can hit the : key on the keyboard.

        Best regards,
        Tony.