Re: package for MacOS X

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
      Benji Fisher sez:
      } Gregory Seidman wrote:
      } > Has anyone prepared a package containing vim and gvim binaries compiled
      } > against Carbon with MacOS X unix support? If someone has done so, it
      } > would be great if it appeared on Apple's MacOS X software site. If not,
      } > I encourage who has gotten it to work to go about packaging it.
      } >
      } > --Greg
      }
      } I have compiled terminal and Carbon versions of vim for OS X. If
      } you can point me to a packaging HOWTO then I will make them available.
      } I am not sure vim is ready yet for something as public as Apple's web
      } site, but I could put this on my idisk (or Axel's).

      Are they compiled with Unix integration? You can :r !command and :.!command
      and all that sort of stuff?

      I realized after I posted the previous message that I didn't really mean
      packaged. A .tgz of the binaries and vim directory, in their places in
      /usr/local, is really what I meant (i.e. one would untar from / and the
      files would all go in the right places).

      I know I ran across a console-only package of vim for MacOS X at some
      point, and I think it was at Apple's site, so I don't see why the
      terminal+Carbon version shouldn't be. Besides, emacs is available on
      Apple's software site, so vim certainly should be.

      } --Benji Fisher
      --Greg
    • Gregory Seidman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
        Benji Fisher sez:
        } Gregory Seidman wrote:
        [...]
        } > Are they compiled with Unix integration? You can :r !command and :.!command
        } > and all that sort of stuff?
        }
        } Some shell escapes work and others do not. I think the console version
        } is better than the carbon version this way. I will have to make a list...

        Hrm. I'd be interested to know which do and don't, and why.

        } > I realized after I posted the previous message that I didn't really mean
        } > packaged. A .tgz of the binaries and vim directory, in their places in
        } > /usr/local, is really what I meant (i.e. one would untar from / and the
        } > files would all go in the right places).
        }
        } That is easy enough.

        Perhaps that can go on http://www.vim.org/binaries.html (soon? please?)

        } > I know I ran across a console-only package of vim for MacOS X at some
        } > point, and I think it was at Apple's site, so I don't see why the
        } > terminal+Carbon version shouldn't be. Besides, emacs is available on
        } > Apple's software site, so vim certainly should be.
        }
        } I am reluctant to post to Apple's site until the problems I
        } mentioned above have been addressed. I might think otherwise after I
        } post something and get some feedback. I would also prefer an "OS
        } X-friendly" package for that sort of distribution. For that, I need a
        } HOWTO...

        Mm. I looked around for info on Apple's site and didn't find any, but I did
        find the following:

        http://www.pasoftware.com/products/macinstall/index.shtml
        http://www.mindvision.com/index1.html

        It looks like evaluation copies are available for both. I don't know how
        limited either one is. I'm sure there's a way to produce an Installer
        package, but looking at the internals of one it isn't exactly transparent.
        There is clearly some method to the madness, but I can't figure it out
        right off. I'll try to find documentation at Apple.

        } --Benji Fisher
        --Greg
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
          Gregory Seidman wrote:

          > Has anyone prepared a package containing vim and gvim binaries compiled
          > against Carbon with MacOS X unix support? If someone has done so, it would
          > be great if it appeared on Apple's MacOS X software site. If not, I
          > encourage who has gotten it to work to go about packaging it.
          >
          > --Greg

          I have compiled terminal and Carbon versions of vim for OS X. If you can
          point me to a packaging HOWTO then I will make them available. I am not sure
          vim is ready yet for something as public as Apple's web site, but I could put
          this on my idisk (or Axel's).

          --Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
            Gregory Seidman wrote:

            > Benji Fisher sez:
            > } Gregory Seidman wrote:
            > } > Has anyone prepared a package containing vim and gvim binaries compiled
            > } > against Carbon with MacOS X unix support? If someone has done so, it
            > } > would be great if it appeared on Apple's MacOS X software site. If not,
            > } > I encourage who has gotten it to work to go about packaging it.
            > } >
            > } > --Greg
            > }
            > } I have compiled terminal and Carbon versions of vim for OS X. If
            > } you can point me to a packaging HOWTO then I will make them available.
            > } I am not sure vim is ready yet for something as public as Apple's web
            > } site, but I could put this on my idisk (or Axel's).
            >
            > Are they compiled with Unix integration? You can :r !command and :.!command
            > and all that sort of stuff?

            Some shell escapes work and others do not. I think the console version
            is better than the carbon version this way. I will have to make a list...

            > I realized after I posted the previous message that I didn't really mean
            > packaged. A .tgz of the binaries and vim directory, in their places in
            > /usr/local, is really what I meant (i.e. one would untar from / and the
            > files would all go in the right places).

            That is easy enough.