Re: Help with ruby Vim Extensions on OS X Tiger

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
      Unnsse Khan wrote:

      > Ok, I am using VIM 7.0aa Alpha on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4...
      >
      > Here's my problem:
      >
      > When ever I launch the Terminal in OS X and type gvim, it actually
      > does launch gvim, and everything runs fine and dandy but in my shell,
      > I get this runtime error:
      >
      > Error detected while processing /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin/
      > ruby.vim:
      > line 1:
      > E474: Invalid argument: foldmethod=syntax^M
      > line 2:
      > E669: Unprintable character in group name
      > E409: Unknown group name: rubyTodo^M
      > E475: Invalid argument: rubyComment "#.*" contains=rubyTodo^M
      > line 3:
      > E475: Invalid argument: rubyMarkedRegion start="#begin_region"
      > end="#end_region" contains=rubyTodo fold ^M

      Your ruby.vim apparently is in dos fileformat. I should be unix.

      Edit the file and do ":set ff=unix|w".

      --
      A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a church
      service.

    • Unnsse Khan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        Bram,

        When I edited the file by typing:

        Raven:/Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin untz$ gvim ruby.vim

        gvim launched and displayed the contents of ruby.vim

        I then clicked on the ":" and typed this:

        set ff=unixlw

        I got this error message:

        E474 Invalid argument ff=unixlw

        Therefore, nothing is changed and this is still broken...

        Has anyone found a way to correctly install these Vim Extensions on
        OS X Tiger?

        Should I use the RubyGems package manager utility to install the
        necessary vim files?

        When I did a query using RubyGems I discovered a vim-ruby:

        Raven:~ untz$ gem query -rn vim-ruby

        *** REMOTE GEMS ***

        vim-ruby (2005.09.15, 2004.09.20)
        Ruby configuration files for Vim. Run 'vim-ruby-install.rb' to
        complete installation.

        Has anyone used installed this with the VIM 7.0aa ALPHA version on OS
        X? Should I install this version (meaning will it ruin the working
        copy of gvim/vim that I already have installed)?

        Any tips, suggestions, and help are greatly appreciated.....

        Many, many thanks!

        Unnsse

        On Oct 1, 2005, at 3:20 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Unnsse Khan wrote:
        >

        >> Ok, I am using VIM 7.0aa Alpha on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4...
        >>
        >> Here's my problem:
        >>
        >> When ever I launch the Terminal in OS X and type gvim, it actually
        >> does launch gvim, and everything runs fine and dandy but in my shell,
        >> I get this runtime error:
        >>
        >> Error detected while processing /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin/
        >> ruby.vim:
        >> line 1:
        >> E474: Invalid argument: foldmethod=syntax^M
        >> line 2:
        >> E669: Unprintable character in group name
        >> E409: Unknown group name: rubyTodo^M
        >> E475: Invalid argument: rubyComment "#.*" contains=rubyTodo^M
        >> line 3:
        >> E475: Invalid argument: rubyMarkedRegion start="#begin_region"
        >> end="#end_region" contains=rubyTodo fold ^M
        >>

        > Your ruby.vim apparently is in dos fileformat. I should be unix.
        >
        > Edit the file and do ":set ff=unix|w".
        >
        > --
        > A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp
        > during a church
        > service.
        > [real standing law in Nebraska, United States of America]
        >
        > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://
        > www.Moolenaar.net \\\
        > /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/
        > sponsor/ \\\
        > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-
        > P.org ///
        > \\\ Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/
        > lotr.html ///

      • A. J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
          Unnsse Khan wrote:
          > Bram,
          >
          > When I edited the file by typing:
          >
          > Raven:/Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin untz$ gvim ruby.vim
          >
          > gvim launched and displayed the contents of ruby.vim
          >
          > I then clicked on the ":" and typed this:
          >
          > set ff=unixlw

          > I got this error message:
          >
          > E474 Invalid argument ff=unixlw
          >
          > Therefore, nothing is changed and this is still broken...
          [...]

          It's not unixlw (unix ell doubleu) it's unix|w (unix bar doubleu). Or
          you could also do

          :set ff=unix
          :w

          No need to click with the mouse, you can hit the : key on the keyboard.

          Best regards,
          Tony.