package for MacOS X

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2001
      Has anyone prepared a package containing vim and gvim binaries compiled
      against Carbon with MacOS X unix support? If someone has done so, it would
      be great if it appeared on Apple's MacOS X software site. If not, I
      encourage who has gotten it to work to go about packaging it.

      --Greg
    • Gregory Seidman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
        Benji Fisher sez:
        } Gregory Seidman wrote:
        } > Has anyone prepared a package containing vim and gvim binaries compiled
        } > against Carbon with MacOS X unix support? If someone has done so, it
        } > would be great if it appeared on Apple's MacOS X software site. If not,
        } > I encourage who has gotten it to work to go about packaging it.
        } >
        } > --Greg
        }
        } I have compiled terminal and Carbon versions of vim for OS X. If
        } you can point me to a packaging HOWTO then I will make them available.
        } I am not sure vim is ready yet for something as public as Apple's web
        } site, but I could put this on my idisk (or Axel's).

        Are they compiled with Unix integration? You can :r !command and :.!command
        and all that sort of stuff?

        I realized after I posted the previous message that I didn't really mean
        packaged. A .tgz of the binaries and vim directory, in their places in
        /usr/local, is really what I meant (i.e. one would untar from / and the
        files would all go in the right places).

        I know I ran across a console-only package of vim for MacOS X at some
        point, and I think it was at Apple's site, so I don't see why the
        terminal+Carbon version shouldn't be. Besides, emacs is available on
        Apple's software site, so vim certainly should be.

        } --Benji Fisher
        --Greg
      • Gregory Seidman
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
          Benji Fisher sez:
          } Gregory Seidman wrote:
          [...]
          } > Are they compiled with Unix integration? You can :r !command and :.!command
          } > and all that sort of stuff?
          }
          } Some shell escapes work and others do not. I think the console version
          } is better than the carbon version this way. I will have to make a list...

          Hrm. I'd be interested to know which do and don't, and why.

          } > I realized after I posted the previous message that I didn't really mean
          } > packaged. A .tgz of the binaries and vim directory, in their places in
          } > /usr/local, is really what I meant (i.e. one would untar from / and the
          } > files would all go in the right places).
          }
          } That is easy enough.

          Perhaps that can go on http://www.vim.org/binaries.html (soon? please?)

          } > I know I ran across a console-only package of vim for MacOS X at some
          } > point, and I think it was at Apple's site, so I don't see why the
          } > terminal+Carbon version shouldn't be. Besides, emacs is available on
          } > Apple's software site, so vim certainly should be.
          }
          } I am reluctant to post to Apple's site until the problems I
          } mentioned above have been addressed. I might think otherwise after I
          } post something and get some feedback. I would also prefer an "OS
          } X-friendly" package for that sort of distribution. For that, I need a
          } HOWTO...

          Mm. I looked around for info on Apple's site and didn't find any, but I did
          find the following:

          http://www.pasoftware.com/products/macinstall/index.shtml
          http://www.mindvision.com/index1.html

          It looks like evaluation copies are available for both. I don't know how
          limited either one is. I'm sure there's a way to produce an Installer
          package, but looking at the internals of one it isn't exactly transparent.
          There is clearly some method to the madness, but I can't figure it out
          right off. I'll try to find documentation at Apple.

          } --Benji Fisher
          --Greg
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
            Gregory Seidman wrote:

            > Has anyone prepared a package containing vim and gvim binaries compiled
            > against Carbon with MacOS X unix support? If someone has done so, it would
            > be great if it appeared on Apple's MacOS X software site. If not, I
            > encourage who has gotten it to work to go about packaging it.
            >
            > --Greg

            I have compiled terminal and Carbon versions of vim for OS X. If you can
            point me to a packaging HOWTO then I will make them available. I am not sure
            vim is ready yet for something as public as Apple's web site, but I could put
            this on my idisk (or Axel's).

            --Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2001
              Gregory Seidman wrote:

              > Benji Fisher sez:
              > } Gregory Seidman wrote:
              > } > Has anyone prepared a package containing vim and gvim binaries compiled
              > } > against Carbon with MacOS X unix support? If someone has done so, it
              > } > would be great if it appeared on Apple's MacOS X software site. If not,
              > } > I encourage who has gotten it to work to go about packaging it.
              > } >
              > } > --Greg
              > }
              > } I have compiled terminal and Carbon versions of vim for OS X. If
              > } you can point me to a packaging HOWTO then I will make them available.
              > } I am not sure vim is ready yet for something as public as Apple's web
              > } site, but I could put this on my idisk (or Axel's).
              >
              > Are they compiled with Unix integration? You can :r !command and :.!command
              > and all that sort of stuff?

              Some shell escapes work and others do not. I think the console version
              is better than the carbon version this way. I will have to make a list...

              > I realized after I posted the previous message that I didn't really mean
              > packaged. A .tgz of the binaries and vim directory, in their places in
              > /usr/local, is really what I meant (i.e. one would untar from / and the
              > files would all go in the right places).

              That is easy enough.