Re: vim 56 - Japanese version

  • ASAI Kenichi
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3 7:21 PM
      Dear Mac-Vim developpers,

      I received an e-mail asking the exact release of my CodeWarrior
      compiler. It is:

      CodeWarrior Professional (Academic) Release 5

      Although I bought a Japanese version, I believe I installed only
      English version. (To install Japanese version, I first have to
      install English version, and then Japanese version on top of it (which
      I did not do)). This is all the information my package says. If this
      information is not sufficient, please ask me again (together with
      how to find it).

      I was also advised to read ":help copying" to see about copyright and
      binary distribution. As I understand, it is OK to distribute the
      binaries I made as long as the changes are available, so I made them
      available in my homepage at:

      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim-e.html

      If you noticed any problem, please let me know.

      Sincerely,

      ---
      Kenichi Asai
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3 11:43 PM
        Kenichi Asai wrote:

        > It seems that I succeeded in making Japanese version of Vim 5.6 on
        > Macintosh. Here I would like to report what I did.

        That is very nice. I looked through your changes and it they appear to be
        small. However, a few changes look like they might cause problems when used
        in another environment (not Macintosh or not multi-byte).

        I suggest distributing this as a patch on top of the available Vim version for
        a while. Perhaps you can improve it further if remarks are made. I can
        include the changes in the main Vim distribution after some confidence is
        build up.

        Your detailed description of the changes is very good! Please update it when
        making further changes.

        For people in vim-multibyte who want to see the original message, go to the
        vim-mac archive: http://www.egroups.com/group/vim-mac

        > - I would like to distribute the binary for this Japanese vim on my
        > homepage, because there seems to be some people who actually want to
        > use it. Would this be possible?

        Vim can be distributed freely. That also applies to modified versions.

        > - Do I need any statement on copyright? I do not need any copyright
        > on the diff files I made, so please use it in anyway (but without any
        > warranty).

        I would not worry about copyright. If you would not want others to use this,
        you would not have send it to this list.

        --
        Living on Earth includes an annual free trip around the Sun.

      • Kenichi Asai
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11 1:30 AM
          Dear Vim-Mac developpers,

          - I found that "set isprint=@,~-255" makes some changes unnecessary
          that I made before.
          - I had a small problem with patch 5.6.061 when compiling with CodeWarrior.
          - I updated my release of Japanese Vim 5.6. It is available at:
          http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim-e.html

          In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
          chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
          setting

          set isprint=@,~-255

          those changes are unnecessary. (On Windows, the above setting is the
          default. On Macintosh, it isn't. It might be a good idea to set it
          default on Macintosh, too, but I do not understand its consequence
          very much.) Here goes the detailed description on my current patches.

          - os_mac.h.diff, edit.c.diff, feature.h.diff

          Same as before.

          - gui_mac.c.diff

          Almost the same as before. I changed it a little bit so that I can
          manage the case where the first byte is LeadByte and the second byte
          is null.

          - multbyte.c.diff

          Same as before. (Still need further consideration.)

          - screen.c

          The changes are only for displaying a ruler:

          >I also made a change on the ruler dispaly. When the cursor is on
          >multibyte characters, the ruler shows 2 bytes as its character code.

          - term.c

          CodeWarrior complians that it cannot cast
          (char *) p->bt_string
          into
          (char_u *).

          - ex_docmd.c

          This is incorporated as 5.6.052.

          - chartab.c

          No changes required any more. My previous patch for chartab.c was removed.

          Sincerely,

          ---
          Kenichi Asai
        • Axel Kielhorn
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12 5:02 AM
            At 17:30 Uhr +0900 2000-04-11, Kenichi Asai wrote:
            >Dear Vim-Mac developpers,

            >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
            >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
            >setting
            >
            >set isprint=@,~-255
            >
            >those changes are unnecessary. (On Windows, the above setting is the
            >default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)

            This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
            non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.

            >This is incorporated as 5.6.052.

            Axel, 5 patches behind

            --
            Adults get far more pleasure from adultery
            than children do from infancy
            Message 5 of 12 , May 9, 2000
              * Axel Kielhorn <Axel.noSpam@...> [000416 15:23]:
              > >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
              > >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
              > >setting "set isprint=@,~-255" those changes are unnecessary. (On
              > >Windows, the above setting is the default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)
              > This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
              > non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.

              Well, was it possible for you to produce a new version?

              Also, could we please decide on a
              MacVim to be *the* official one?

              I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:

              MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
              However, there are three sites with updates:
              Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
              and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
              Please let me know which version you are using.

              For me it means more work altogether:
              Maintain more info, keep more links,
              keep contact with ebern more people,
              and confuse the hell out of the users.

              I'd *really* appreciate if you guys would get
              your stuff together and decide on *one* person
              to maintain *the* MacVim on ftp.vim.org.

              I know this won't solve the requests for
              "please make me a binary with +perl"
              but then again it's Apple's problem that
              there they don't supply a free compiler..

              Sven
            • G. Mark Stewart
              Message 6 of 12 , May 9, 2000
                Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
                look at to show the differences between VIM and VI? Or are my
                own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
                As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
                that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
                which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?

                Mark

                Sven Guckes wrote:

                > * Axel Kielhorn <Axel.noSpam@...> [000416 15:23]:
                > > >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
                > > >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
                > > >setting "set isprint=@,~-255" those changes are unnecessary. (On
                > > >Windows, the above setting is the default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)
                > > This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
                > > non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.
                >
                > Well, was it possible for you to produce a new version?
                >
                > Also, could we please decide on a
                > MacVim to be *the* official one?
                >
                > I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:
                >
                > MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
                > However, there are three sites with updates:
                > Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
                > and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
                > Please let me know which version you are using.
                >
                > For me it means more work altogether:
                > Maintain more info, keep more links,
                > keep contact with ebern more people,
                > and confuse the hell out of the users.
                >
                > I'd *really* appreciate if you guys would get
                > your stuff together and decide on *one* person
                > to maintain *the* MacVim on ftp.vim.org.
                >
                > I know this won't solve the requests for
                > "please make me a binary with +perl"
                > but then again it's Apple's problem that
                > there they don't supply a free compiler..
                >
                > Sven
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 12 , May 9, 2000
                  Mark Stewart wrote:

                  > Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
                  > look at to show the differences between VIM and VI?

                  :help vi-differences

                  > Or are my
                  > own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
                  > As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
                  > that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
                  > which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?

                  This should work in Vim exactly like it does in Vi. Did you remap ' to `
                  perhaps?

                  --
                  This is an airconditioned room, do not open Windows.

                • Leedsnet
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 9, 2000
                    At 03:44 PM 5/9/00, Sven Guckes wrote:
                    >I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:
                    >
                    > MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
                    > However, there are three sites with updates:
                    > Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
                    > and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
                    > Please let me know which version you are using.

                    I have tried to find an official MacVim site from the vim
                    pages and have not been successful. Could you post
                    a url where the full comte of what you are 'sick of telling
                    people' can be found.

                    I am also looking for a copy of a recent 'os_mac.c' I
                    have been able to find or make for myself everything
                    else.

                    >I know this won't solve the requests for
                    >"please make me a binary with +perl"
                    >but then again it's Apple's problem that
                    >there they don't supply a free compiler.

                    Maybe they don't & may be they should, but you may
                    find this < URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/ >
                    interesting.

                    Ben.
                    --
                    Leedsnet - The information resource for Leeds and the West Riding
                    < URL:http://www.leedsnet.com/ >
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9, 2000
                      I'll check it out -- thanks!

                      Mark

                      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                      > Mark Stewart wrote:
                      >
                      > > Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
                      > > look at to show the differences between VIM and VI?
                      >
                      > :help vi-differences
                      >
                      > > Or are my
                      > > own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
                      > > As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
                      > > that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
                      > > which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?
                      >
                      > This should work in Vim exactly like it does in Vi. Did you remap ' to `
                      > perhaps?
                      >
                      > --
                      > This is an airconditioned room, do not open Windows.
                      >
                      > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
                      > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/
                    • david craig
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 10, 2000
                        Ben-
                        On Tue, 9 May 2000, Leedsnet wrote:
                        > I have tried to find an official MacVim site from the vim pages
                        > and have not been successful. Could you post a url where the full
                        > comte of what you are 'sick of telling people' can be found.

                        What links I am aware of can be found on my core-dump of links at
                        about

                        <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/Marks/code.html#corporate>

                        David

                        <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
                      • Sven Guckes
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 10, 2000
                          * Leedsnet <info@...> [000510 08:31]:

                          http://www.vim.org/macs.html

                          > Could you post a url where the full comte of what
                          > you are 'sick of telling people' can be found.

                          I could put all this onto the webpage -
                          but so far I have refrained from doing so.
                          I hope that this "official" page can simply
                          say "get your MacVim from any ftp mirror"...

                          > >I know this won't solve the requests for
                          > >"please make me a binary with +perl"
                          > >but then again it's Apple's problem that
                          > >there they don't supply a free compiler.
                          > Maybe they don't & may be they should,
                          > but you may find [MPW] interesting.
                          > http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/

                          I have seen MPW - years ago.
                          Has it become any better?
                          I mean, has it become usable? ;-)
                          Anyone?

                          PS: "Ben/Leedsnet" - I had to "confirm"
                          your postings before they got onto the list.
                          So please subscribe if you want to post.
                          And fix the From: line to show your name.
                          Thanks!

                          Sven

                          --
                          Sven Guckes guckes@... --- Archive: http://www.egroups.com/list/vim-mac