Re: compiling on OS X.1 (was: new developer, longtime user)

  • Dany St-Amant
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2001
      Le Vendredi 26 octobre 2001, à 07:39 , Benji Fisher a écrit :

      > I tried defining -DMACOS_X_UNIX in Project Builder, but :!ls came
      > back
      > empty and :grep gave an error message. Yes, I hit the "clean" button
      > before
      > "hammering" again. Any ideas what went wrong, or examples of shell
      > escapes
      > that should work? From your description, this sounds like the version
      > I would
      > like to use.

      I did some retesting and the support for the ! is partial. There's a
      comment in os_mac.h
      which mention that the output of the shell go into the debugger. This is
      due to the fact
      that I defined USE_SYSTEM in os_mac.h as a shortcut into getting that
      version. I left
      for later the attempt to compile without USE_SYSTEM (or I may have left
      it as an
      exercise to the reader ;)

      For the :grep, it seems to work (I never used :grep before) if we do a:

      :set shellquote=\"

      <Visual>! and r ! work relatively well (as the output is sent back to
      vim), but :! doesn't.

      Note: <Visual>! require the use of a unix formatted text.

      Dany
    • Dany St-Amant
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
        Le Dimanche 28 octobre 2001, à 11:46 , gmark@... a écrit :

        > On Sunday, October 28, 2001, at 08:47 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
        >

        >> Le Vendredi 26 octobre 2001, à 07:39 , Benji Fisher a écrit :
        >>
        >>> I tried defining -DMACOS_X_UNIX in Project Builder, but :!ls
        >>> came back
        >>> empty and :grep gave an error message. [...]

        >> I did some retesting and the support for the ! is partial. There's a
        >> comment in os_mac.h [...]

        > Maybe I'm catching on slow. I notice that using Vim from the
        > terminal shell doesn't allow me to escape to the shell from
        > within Vim.
        >
        > Is this part of what folks have been trying to rectify, or is
        > there just a setting I can make in the .vimrc file to allow
        > me to escape to Ksh?

        The discussion is around using the Carbon MacOS X version,
        with some extra unix support (-DMACOS_X_UNIX). So it doesn't
        apply to your situation.

        Not being a big UNIX user, I cannot really help. But there's seem
        to be quite a few other "mostly UNIX" user using the console version
        of vim on MacOS X on the vim-mac list who (or is it whom?) could help.

        Dany
      • Dany St-Amant
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
          Le Dimanche 28 octobre 2001, à 09:47 , Dany St-Amant a écrit :

          > Le Vendredi 26 octobre 2001, à 07:39 , Benji Fisher a écrit :
          >
          >> I tried defining -DMACOS_X_UNIX in Project Builder, but :!ls came
          >> back
          >> empty and :grep gave an error message. Yes, I hit the "clean" button
          >> before
          >> "hammering" again. Any ideas what went wrong, or examples of shell
          >> escapes
          >> that should work? From your description, this sounds like the version
          >> I would
          >> like to use.
          >
          > I did some retesting and the support for the ! is partial. There's a
          > comment in os_mac.h
          > which mention that the output of the shell go into the debugger. This
          > is due to the fact
          > that I defined USE_SYSTEM in os_mac.h as a shortcut into getting that
          > version. I left
          > for later the attempt to compile without USE_SYSTEM (or I may have left
          > it as an
          > exercise to the reader ;)
          >
          > For the :grep, it seems to work (I never used :grep before) if we do a:

          Just got addicted to the :grep. The attached patch should provide better
          shell
          support when compiling with -DMACOS_X_UNIX, as USE_SYSTEM is not
          used anymore. There's still a possible type ahead issue as I removed the
          call
          to ui_inchar_undo for now, I'll dig later on into this.

          > :set shellquote=\"

          This doesn't seem to be needed anymore (when compiled without USE_SYSTEM)

          > <Visual>! and r ! work relatively well (as the output is sent back to
          > vim), but :! doesn't.
          >
          > Note: <Visual>! require the use of a unix formatted text.

          The patch also include the removal of the alert about -psn when launching
          Vim from Finder.app. As well as a fix for the auto :checktime. (i.e:
          When returning
          to Vim, if one of the file have been change externally, an alert will
          show up.)

          Please feel free to try and comment.
          Compiled and tested only on Carbon MacOS X (over version 6.0.041)

          Dany, learning to mention the "Carbon" to differentiate from the console
          version.
        • Dany St-Amant
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
            Weird? Mail.app complained about this mail not being sent...
            And it have been sent without attachment..
            Hoping this time the attachment will make its way through.

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
              I still can see my own attachment. So sending it with the old cut/paste
              technic.

              Le Mercredi 31 octobre 2001, à 07:23 , Dany St-Amant a écrit :

              > Weird? Mail.app complained about this mail not being sent...
              > And it have been sent without attachment..
              > Hoping this time the attachment will make its way through.
              >
              > Le Dimanche 28 octobre 2001, à 09:47 , Dany St-Amant a écrit :
              >

              >> Le Vendredi 26 octobre 2001, à 07:39 , Benji Fisher a écrit :
              >>
              >>> I tried defining -DMACOS_X_UNIX in Project Builder, but :!ls
              >>> came back
              >>> empty and :grep gave an error message. Yes, I hit the "clean" button
              >>> before
              >>> "hammering" again. Any ideas what went wrong, or examples of shell
              >>> escapes
              >>> that should work? From your description, this sounds like the
              >>> version I would
              >>> like to use.
              >>
              >> I did some retesting and the support for the ! is partial. There's a
              >> comment in os_mac.h
              >> which mention that the output of the shell go into the debugger. This
              >> is due to the fact
              >> that I defined USE_SYSTEM in os_mac.h as a shortcut into getting that
              >> version. I left
              >> for later the attempt to compile without USE_SYSTEM (or I may have
              >> left it as an
              >> exercise to the reader ;)
              >>
              >> For the :grep, it seems to work (I never used :grep before) if we do a:
              >
              > Just got addicted to the :grep. The attached patch should provide
              > better shell
              > support when compiling with -DMACOS_X_UNIX, as USE_SYSTEM is not
              > used anymore. There's still a possible type ahead issue as I removed
              > the call
              > to ui_inchar_undo for now, I'll dig later on into this.
              >
              >> :set shellquote=\"
              >
              > This doesn't seem to be needed anymore (when compiled without
              > USE_SYSTEM)
              >
              >> <Visual>! and r ! work relatively well (as the output is sent back to
              >> vim), but :! doesn't.
              >>
              >> Note: <Visual>! require the use of a unix formatted text.
              >
              > The patch also include the removal of the alert about -psn when
              > launching
              > Vim from Finder.app. As well as a fix for the auto :checktime. (i.e:
              > When returning
              > to Vim, if one of the file have been change externally, an alert will
              > show up.)
              >
              > Please feel free to try and comment.
              > Compiled and tested only on Carbon MacOS X (over version 6.0.041)
              >
              > Dany, learning to mention the "Carbon" to differentiate from the
              > console version.

              diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/ex_getln.c ./src/ex_getln.c
              diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/gui_mac.c ./src/gui_mac.c
              *** ../vim60_ori/src/gui_mac.c Mon Aug 27 11:23:35 2001
              --- ./src/gui_mac.c Tue Oct 30 22:21:59 2001
              ***************
              *** 1882,1893 ****

              whichWindow = (WindowPtr) event->message;
              if ((event->modifiers) & activeFlag)
              ! /* Activate */
              ! gui.in_focus = TRUE;
              else
              {
              /* Deactivate */
              ! gui.in_focus = FALSE;
              /* DON'T KNOW what the code below was doing
              found in the deactivate clause, but the
              clause writting TRUE into in_focus (BUG)
              --- 1882,1893 ----

              whichWindow = (WindowPtr) event->message;
              if ((event->modifiers) & activeFlag)
              ! /* Activate */
              ! gui_focus_change(TRUE);
              else
              {
              /* Deactivate */
              ! gui_focus_change(FALSE);
              /* DON'T KNOW what the code below was doing
              found in the deactivate clause, but the
              clause writting TRUE into in_focus (BUG)
              ***************
              *** 1899,1905 ****
              SetOutlinePreferred (a_bool);
              #endif
              }
              - gui_update_cursor(TRUE, FALSE);
              }

              --- 1899,1904 ----
              ***************
              *** 1921,1932 ****
              * get an activate/desactivate event
              */
              if (event->message & 1)
              ! /* Resume */
              ! gui.in_focus = TRUE;
              else
              ! /* Suspend */
              ! gui.in_focus = FALSE;
              ! gui_update_cursor(TRUE, FALSE);
              }

              /*
              --- 1920,1930 ----
              * get an activate/desactivate event
              */
              if (event->message & 1)
              ! /* Resume */
              ! gui_focus_change(TRUE);
              else
              ! /* Suspend */
              ! gui_focus_change(FALSE);
              }

              /*
              diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/main.c ./src/main.c
              *** ../vim60_ori/src/main.c Fri Sep 21 14:27:36 2001
              --- ./src/main.c Tue Oct 30 22:32:52 2001
              ***************
              *** 171,177 ****
              qnx_init(); /* PhAttach() for clipboard, mouse (and gui) */
              #endif

              ! #ifdef FEAT_GUI_MAC
              /* Macintosh needs this before any memory is allocated. */
              gui_prepare(&argc, argv); /* Prepare for possibly starting GUI
              sometime */
              TIME_MSG("GUI prepared");
              --- 171,177 ----
              qnx_init(); /* PhAttach() for clipboard, mouse (and gui) */
              #endif

              ! #ifdef MAC_OS_CLASSIC
              /* Macintosh needs this before any memory is allocated. */
              gui_prepare(&argc, argv); /* Prepare for possibly starting GUI
              sometime */
              TIME_MSG("GUI prepared");
              ***************
              *** 297,303 ****
              #ifdef FEAT_SUN_WORKSHOP
              findYourself(argv[0]);
              #endif
              ! #if defined(FEAT_GUI) && !defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC)
              gui_prepare(&argc, argv); /* Prepare for possibly starting GUI
              sometime */
              TIME_MSG("GUI prepared");
              #endif
              --- 297,303 ----
              #ifdef FEAT_SUN_WORKSHOP
              findYourself(argv[0]);
              #endif
              ! #if defined(FEAT_GUI) && !defined(MAC_OS_CLASSIC)
              gui_prepare(&argc, argv); /* Prepare for possibly starting GUI
              sometime */
              TIME_MSG("GUI prepared");
              #endif
              ***************
              *** 633,641 ****
              -psn_0_10223617 is passed in when invoke from Finder
              or with the 'open' command */
              case 'p':
              - mch_errmsg("What does this mean: ");
              - mch_errmsg(argv[0]);
              - mch_errmsg("\n");
              argv_idx = -1; /* bypass full -psn */
              break;
              #endif
              --- 633,638 ----
              diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/misc2.c ./src/misc2.c
              *** ../vim60_ori/src/misc2.c Tue Oct 30 22:16:55 2001
              --- ./src/misc2.c Tue Oct 30 22:51:20 2001
              ***************
              *** 5243,5249 ****
              #define EXTRASIZE 5 /* increment to add to env. size */

              static int envsize = -1; /* current size of environment */
              ! #ifndef MACOS
              extern
              #endif
              char **environ; /* the global which is your env. */
              --- 5243,5249 ----
              #define EXTRASIZE 5 /* increment to add to env. size */

              static int envsize = -1; /* current size of environment */
              ! #ifndef MACOS_CLASSIC
              extern
              #endif
              char **environ; /* the global which is your env. */
              diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/os_mac.h ./src/os_mac.h
              *** ../vim60_ori/src/os_mac.h Thu Aug 23 05:06:28 2001
              --- ./src/os_mac.h Tue Oct 30 22:22:00 2001
              ***************
              *** 29,63 ****
              #include <OSUtils.h>
              #include <Files.h>
              #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
              ! #include <Script.h>
              #endif

              /*
              * Unix interface
              */
              ! #if defined(__MWERKS__)/* Only for metrowerks and MacOSX Compilers */
              # include <unistd.h>
              # include <utsname.h>
              - # include <stat.h>
              # include <unix.h>
              #endif
              ! #if defined(__APPLE_CC__)
              # include <unistd.h>
              - # include <sys/stat.h>
              - # include <curses.h>
              - /* Remove some BACKWARD compatibilty stuff */
              - # undef reg
              - # undef ospeed
              #endif
              ! #include <signal.h>
              ! #include <errno.h>
              ! #include <stdio.h>
              ! #include <stdlib.h>
              ! #include <time.h>
              ! #ifdef MACOS_X
              ! # include <dirent.h>
              #endif
              #if defined(__MRC__) || defined(__SC__) /* for Apple MPW Compilers */
              # ifdef powerc
              # pragma options align=power
              # endif
              --- 29,57 ----
              #include <OSUtils.h>
              #include <Files.h>
              #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
              ! # include <Script.h>
              #endif

              /*
              * Unix interface
              */
              ! #if defined(__MWERKS__) /* for CodeWarrior */
              # include <unistd.h>
              # include <utsname.h>
              # include <unix.h>
              #endif
              ! #if defined(__APPLE_CC__) /* for Project Builder and ... */
              # include <unistd.h>
              #endif
              ! /* Get stat.h or something similar. Comment: How come some OS get in
              in vim.h */
              ! #if defined(__MWERKS__)
              ! # include <stat.h>
              ! #endif
              ! #if defined(__APPLE_CC__)
              ! # include <sys/stat.h>
              #endif
              #if defined(__MRC__) || defined(__SC__) /* for Apple MPW Compilers */
              + /* There's no stat.h for MPW? */
              # ifdef powerc
              # pragma options align=power
              # endif
              ***************
              *** 71,88 ****
              # pragma options align=reset
              # endif
              #endif
              !
              ! /*
              ! * Allow use of MacOS memory allocation subroutine
              ! */
              ! #if 0 /* this doesn't work, because realloc() isn't redefined */
              ! /*
              ! * Use Macintosh subroutine to alloc the memory.
              ! * (malloc generate Ptr format hard to debug with ZoneRanger)
              ! */
              ! # define malloc(x) NewPtr(x)
              ! # define free(x) DisposePtr((char *) x)
              ! # define realloc() something
              #endif

              /*
              --- 65,84 ----
              # pragma options align=reset
              # endif
              #endif
              ! #if defined(__APPLE_CC__) /* && defined(HAVE_CURSE) */
              ! /* The curses.h from MacOS X provides by default some BACKWARD
              compatibilty
              ! * definition which can cause us problem later on. So we undefine a
              few of them. */
              ! # include <curses.h>
              ! # undef reg
              ! # undef ospeed
              ! #endif
              ! #include <signal.h>
              ! #include <errno.h>
              ! #include <stdio.h>
              ! #include <stdlib.h>
              ! #include <time.h>
              ! #ifdef MACOS_X
              ! # include <dirent.h>
              #endif

              /*
              ***************
              *** 100,106 ****
              # error "You must compile with enums always int!"
              # endif
              # if defined(__MWERKS__) && !defined(__fourbyteints__)
              ! # error "You must compile the projecct with 4-byte ints"
              /* MPW ints are always 4 byte long */
              # endif
              #endif
              --- 96,102 ----
              # error "You must compile with enums always int!"
              # endif
              # if defined(__MWERKS__) && !defined(__fourbyteints__)
              ! # error "You must compile the project with 4-byte ints"
              /* MPW ints are always 4 byte long */
              # endif
              #endif
              ***************
              *** 134,140 ****
              #define CASE_INSENSITIVE_FILENAME /* ignore case when comparing file
              names */
              #define SPACE_IN_FILENAME
              #define BREAKCHECK_SKIP 32 /* call mch_breakcheck() each
              time, it's
              ! quite fast */

              #undef USE_FNAME_CASE /* So that :e os_Mac.c, :w, save back
              the file as os_mac.c */
              --- 130,136 ----
              #define CASE_INSENSITIVE_FILENAME /* ignore case when comparing file
              names */
              #define SPACE_IN_FILENAME
              #define BREAKCHECK_SKIP 32 /* call mch_breakcheck() each
              time, it's
              ! quite fast. Did I forgot to update the comment */

              #undef USE_FNAME_CASE /* So that :e os_Mac.c, :w, save back
              the file as os_mac.c */
              ***************
              *** 323,328 ****
              --- 319,326 ----

              #define WILDCHAR_LIST "*?[{`$"

              + /**************/
              +
              #define mch_rename(src, dst) rename(src, dst)
              #define mch_remove(x) unlink((char *)(x))
              #if defined(__MRC__) || defined(__SC__)
              ***************
              *** 330,336 ****
              # define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv((name), (val))
              #elif defined(__APPLE_CC__)
              # define mch_getenv(name) ((char_u *)getenv((char *)(name)))
              ! # define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv((name), (val))
              #else
              /* vim_getenv() is in pty.c */
              # define USE_VIMPTY_GETENV
              --- 328,335 ----
              # define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv((name), (val))
              #elif defined(__APPLE_CC__)
              # define mch_getenv(name) ((char_u *)getenv((char *)(name)))
              ! /*# define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv((name), (val)) */ /*
              Obsoleted by Dany on Oct 30, 2001 */
              ! # define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv(name, val, x)
              #else
              /* vim_getenv() is in pty.c */
              # define USE_VIMPTY_GETENV
              ***************
              *** 357,371 ****
              # define SIGPROTOARG (int)
              # define SIGDEFARG(s) (s) int s;
              # define SIGDUMMYARG 0
              ! # define USE_SYSTEM /* Output ship do debugger :(, but ot compile */
              # define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
              # define SYS_SELECT_WITH_SYS_TIME 1
              # define HAVE_SELECT 1
              # define HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H 1
              # undef HAVE_AVAIL_MEM
              # define mch_chdir(s) chdir(s)
              #endif

              ! /* A Mac constat causing big problem to syntax highlighting */
              #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????'

              --- 356,374 ----
              # define SIGPROTOARG (int)
              # define SIGDEFARG(s) (s) int s;
              # define SIGDUMMYARG 0
              ! /*# define USE_SYSTEM */ /* Output ship do debugger :(, but ot
              compile */
              ! # define HAVE_SYS_WAIT_H 1 /* Attempt */
              # define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
              # define SYS_SELECT_WITH_SYS_TIME 1
              # define HAVE_SELECT 1
              # define HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H 1
              # undef HAVE_AVAIL_MEM
              + # define HAVE_PUTENV
              + # define HAVE_SETENV
              + # define HAVE_RENAME
              # define mch_chdir(s) chdir(s)
              #endif

              ! /* A Mac constant causing big problem to syntax highlighting */
              #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????'

              Only in ./src/os_mac.pbproj: dstamant.pbxuser
              diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj
              ./src/os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj
              *** ../vim60_ori/src/os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj Tue Oct 30 20:25:24
              2001
              --- ./src/os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj Tue Oct 30 22:35:28 2001
              ***************
              *** 3,9 ****
              archiveVersion = 1;
              classes = {
              };
              ! objectVersion = 32;
              objects = {
              00EF808200C49A857F000001 = {
              isa = PBXFileReference;
              --- 3,9 ----
              archiveVersion = 1;
              classes = {
              };
              ! objectVersion = 34;
              objects = {
              00EF808200C49A857F000001 = {
              isa = PBXFileReference;
              ***************
              *** 121,126 ****
              --- 121,127 ----
              );
              buildSettings = {
              COPY_PHASE_STRIP = NO;
              + OPTIMIZATION_CFLAGS = "-O0";
              };
              isa = PBXBuildStyle;
              name = Development;
              ***************
              *** 373,379 ****
              HEADER_SEARCH_PATHS = "proto /Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon";
              INSTALL_PATH = "$(HOME)/Applications";
              LIBRARY_SEARCH_PATHS = "";
              - OPTIMIZATION_CFLAGS = "";
              OTHER_CFLAGS = "-DMACOS_X";
              OTHER_LDFLAGS = "";
              OTHER_REZFLAGS = "";
              --- 374,379 ----
              ***************
              *** 496,501 ****
              --- 496,502 ----
              06B64A4B00BBD0257F000001,
              F5D0FB2D00F8C2BF01000001,
              F5E2C54000FACD0901000001,
              + F5CC3220018E3F6801891561,
              );
              isa = PBXSourcesBuildPhase;
              name = Sources;
              ***************
              *** 1445,1450 ****
              --- 1446,1457 ----
              //F52
              //F53
              //F54
              + F5CC3220018E3F6801891561 = {
              + fileRef = 273798E200B36B037F000001;
              + isa = PBXBuildFile;
              + settings = {
              + };
              + };
              F5D0FB2B00F8C29A01000001 = {
              children = (
              F5D0FB2C00F8C2BF01000001,
              diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/os_unix.c ./src/os_unix.c
              *** ../vim60_ori/src/os_unix.c Tue Oct 30 22:16:20 2001
              --- ./src/os_unix.c Tue Oct 30 22:22:00 2001
              ***************
              *** 3438,3449 ****
              finished:
              p_more = p_more_save;

              /*
              * Give all typeahead that wasn't used back to ui_inchar().
              */
              if (ta_len)
              ui_inchar_undo(ta_buf, ta_len);
              !
              State = old_State;
              if (toshell_fd >= 0)
              close(toshell_fd);
              --- 3438,3450 ----
              finished:
              p_more = p_more_save;

              + #ifndef MACOS_X_UNIX /* TODO: Is it needed for MACOS_X ? */
              /*
              * Give all typeahead that wasn't used back to ui_inchar().
              */
              if (ta_len)
              ui_inchar_undo(ta_buf, ta_len);
              ! #endif
              State = old_State;
              if (toshell_fd >= 0)
              close(toshell_fd);
              ***************
              *** 3957,3963 ****
              }

              /* compile the regexp into a program */
              ! #ifdef MACOS_X
              regmatch.rm_ic = TRUE; /* Behave like Terminal.app */
              #else
              regmatch.rm_ic = FALSE; /* Don't ever ignore case */
              --- 3958,3964 ----
              }

              /* compile the regexp into a program */
              ! #ifdef MACOS_X /* Can/Should we use CASE_INSENSITIVE_FILENAME
              instead ?*/
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                On Wednesday, October 31, 2001, at 07:30 AM, Dany St-Amant wrote:

                > I still can see my own attachment. So sending it with the old cut/paste
                > technic.
                > [snip]

                OK, this is getting ridiculous. The mail.app that comes with OS X
                refuses to save in plain text format. I had to copy to the clipboard,
                open a terminal window, and

                % cat > macpatch
                <paste>
                <C-D>

                There has to be a better way! Can anyone recommend a better mail client
                for OS X?

                --Benji Fisher

                P.S. I hope to have time tomorrow to apply the patch and post a binary
                or two.
              • Gregory Seidman
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                  Benji Fisher sez:
                  [...]
                  } There has to be a better way! Can anyone recommend a better mail client
                  } for OS X?

                  For Unix in general, I prefer Mutt. See www.mutt.org for info. If you're
                  comfortable with vim, mutt is a comfortable mail client.

                  } --Benji Fisher
                  }
                  } P.S. I hope to have time tomorrow to apply the patch and post a binary
                  } or two.

                  Keen!
                  --Greg