Re: swap files cause vim 6.3 crash

  • Stephen Riehm
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
      On 01.09.2005, at 17:10, Jussi Hagman wrote:

      > Well, this is almost identical to the crash you were experiencing
      > before. Vim tries to show a dialog and there is a crash,
      > intrestingly also this time not inside actual vim code but inside
      > Apple's HIToolbox code. Maybe we are calling it wrongly but there
      > definitely should not be a crash. So there is also a bug from
      > Apple's part.

      Hi,

      definitely check the way vim calls apple's API.

      While I was at Uni I had a similar effect with an X11 library. It
      took me weeks to find, but in the end it was just a matter of swapped
      arguments. If I remember rightly, the API used one parameter to
      determine the structure of the other. Getting the parameters in the
      wrong order didn't cause an immediate error, but it blew up often
      enough that I knew something was going wrong. Once I swapped them
      over the problem was gone.

      I'm not suggesting that someone swapped parameters somewhere, but any
      data that gets past to an API does have to be Just Right™.
      It's tedious work, but that's where I would start, possibly using the
      checkin history to localise recent changes.

      Steve
    • Jussi Hagman
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
        On 1.9.2005, at 19.57, Stephen Riehm wrote:

        > On 01.09.2005, at 17:10, Jussi Hagman wrote:
        >

        >> Well, this is almost identical to the crash you were experiencing
        >> before. Vim tries to show a dialog and there is a crash,
        >> intrestingly also this time not inside actual vim code but inside
        >> Apple's HIToolbox code. Maybe we are calling it wrongly but there
        >> definitely should not be a crash. So there is also a bug from
        >> Apple's part.
        >>

        > Hi,
        >
        > definitely check the way vim calls apple's API.

        I'm gonna do that and search apple's carbon-dev list archives for
        possible similar issues

        > I'm not suggesting that someone swapped parameters somewhere, but
        > any data that gets past to an API does have to be Just Right™.

        Well, the thing that makes this hard is that I can't reproduce the
        problem is there anyone else than Chris seeing this problem? Any
        additional info of affected machines could help finding this bug.

        > It's tedious work, but that's where I would start, possibly using
        > the checkin history to localise recent changes.

        In vim 6.3 there aren't really recent changes. AFAIK the last change
        is from last year.

        To me it seems that something in Chris' system is making the bug
        visible. But I'll start with reading the code.

        Greetings,
        Jussi