Building vim 6.3/7

  • Adam Tadeus Winiecki
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25 3:22 PM
      Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
      applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?
      I am getting the following errors:
      6.3:

      gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -g -O2 -I/
      usr/X11R6/include -g -pipe -DPERL_DARWIN -no-cpp-precomp -fno-
      strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -I/System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/
      darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-
      darwin8.0 -o objects/buffer.o buffer.c
      In file included from buffer.c:29:
      vim.h:40: error: parse error before ':' token
      In file included from vim.h:1567,
      from buffer.c:29:
      proto.h:167: error: conflicting types for 'putenv'
      /usr/include/stdlib.h:221: error: previous declaration of 'putenv'
      was here
      make[1]: *** [objects/buffer.o] Error 1
      make: *** [first] Error 2

      7.0:
      checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
      checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
      checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
      checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
      no terminal library found
      checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
      You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
      Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.

      thanks,
      Adam Winiecki
    • Benjamin Esham
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 25 5:34 PM
        On Aug 25, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Adam Tadeus Winiecki wrote:

        > Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
        > applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?

        I can build Vim 7 on OS X without any patches at all; I use fink,
        though, so that might take care of a couple of problems that would
        occur otherwise. Like this one here...

        > 7.0:
        > checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
        > checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
        > checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
        > checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
        > no terminal library found
        > checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
        > You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
        > Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.

        It looks like you need to install either ncurses, termlib, termcap
        (libtermcap?), or curses. (These are libraries that help apps to
        draw text to the terminal screen.) You could install them with fink,
        or you could probably just build one of them yourself. I assume that
        ncurses and termlib are preferred since they're checked for first, so
        you might try one of those first.

        HTH,
        --
        Benjamin D. Esham
        bdesham@... | http://bdesham.net | AIM: bdesham128
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 25 9:19 PM
          On 26.8.2005, at 1.22, Adam Tadeus Winiecki wrote:

          > Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
          > applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?

          They should build straight out of the box, without extra steps. The
          complete instructions are here:

          http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Compiling

          > I am getting the following errors:
          > 6.3:
          >
          > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -g -O2 -I/
          > usr/X11R6/include

          I see that you are building the athena gui version for X11, is this
          intentional? The normal version for os x does not need x11 and has a
          Carbon GUI.

          > 7.0:
          > checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
          > checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
          > checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
          > checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
          > no terminal library found
          > checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
          > You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
          > Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib

          This is really weird, AFAIK 6.3 makes the identical check and in your
          case the configure for 6.3 did find a proper library. I'd guess there
          is something wrong with your installation. I presume you have the
          latest Xcode installed properly?

          When I run the configure script the relevant output is following:

          checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
          checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal
          library selection
          checking for tgetent in -lncurses... yes
          checking whether we talk terminfo... yes -- terminfo spoken here

          and I have ncurses.h installed in /usr/include/ncurses.h (and a few
          other places under sdks)

          I checked out the latest versions of both vim6 and vim7 from the CVS
          and tried to compile them on 10.4.2. Compilation worked fine apart
          from a few warnings. My installation of OS X is quite vanilla, with
          Xcode and some small things installed with darwin ports, although
          none of them should make a difference.

          Greetings,
          Jussi

        • Adam Tadeus Winiecki
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30 3:22 PM
            I am building vim 7 build 136 just fine now. I removed --
            enable-ruby-interp from my list of items to configure, and now it
            builds fine. When I have some time, I will probably delve into the
            code and see why this causes ncurses to not be found.

            thanks,
            Adam Winiecki

            On Aug 25, 2005, at 9:19 PM, Jussi Hagman wrote:

            > On 26.8.2005, at 1.22, Adam Tadeus Winiecki wrote:
            >

            >> Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
            >> applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?
            >>

            > They should build straight out of the box, without extra steps. The
            > complete instructions are here:
            >
            > http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Compiling
            >

            >> I am getting the following errors:
            >> 6.3:
            >>
            >> gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -g -O2 -
            >> I/usr/X11R6/include
            >>

            > I see that you are building the athena gui version for X11, is this
            > intentional? The normal version for os x does not need x11 and has
            > a Carbon GUI.
            >

            >> 7.0:
            >> checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
            >> checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
            >> checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
            >> checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
            >> no terminal library found
            >> checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
            >> You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
            >> Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib
            >>

            > This is really weird, AFAIK 6.3 makes the identical check and in
            > your case the configure for 6.3 did find a proper library. I'd
            > guess there is something wrong with your installation. I presume
            > you have the latest Xcode installed properly?
            >
            > When I run the configure script the relevant output is following:
            >
            > checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
            > checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal
            > library selection
            > checking for tgetent in -lncurses... yes
            > checking whether we talk terminfo... yes -- terminfo spoken here
            >
            > and I have ncurses.h installed in /usr/include/ncurses.h (and a few
            > other places under sdks)
            >
            > I checked out the latest versions of both vim6 and vim7 from the
            > CVS and tried to compile them on 10.4.2. Compilation worked fine
            > apart from a few warnings. My installation of OS X is quite
            > vanilla, with Xcode and some small things installed with darwin
            > ports, although none of them should make a difference.
            >
            > Greetings,
            > Jussi
            >
            > --
            > Jussi Hagman, jhagman@..., iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ:
            > 54004113
            > Studentbyn 4 D 33, 20540 Åbo, Finland +358 50 56 51 170

          • Greg Linde
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31 5:20 AM
              On Aug 30, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Adam Tadeus Winiecki wrote:

              >>> Can someone explain to me what extra steps need to be done/patches
              >>> applied to build vim 6.3/7 on Mac OS X 10.4?
              >>>

              >> They should build straight out of the box, without extra steps. The
              >> complete instructions are here:
              >>
              >> http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Compiling

              Sorry if this is a repeat question, but are there any FAQs/hints on how
              to build vim within XCode 1.5? I've done the build with the
              straightforward make and make install from the command line using CVS
              to get the source, but I'd like to try to do all of this within XCode
              using CVS as a way of familiarizing myself with the tool.

              Greg.
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 29, 2005
                On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:20:07AM -0400, Greg Linde wrote:

                > Sorry if this is a repeat question, but are there any FAQs/hints on how
                > to build vim within XCode 1.5? I've done the build with the
                > straightforward make and make install from the command line using CVS
                > to get the source, but I'd like to try to do all of this within XCode
                > using CVS as a way of familiarizing myself with the tool.
                >
                > Greg.

                All I know is that the standard distribution contains the file
                os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj . I do not know whether this needs to be
                updated or not. You can try
                $ open os_mac.pbproj/project
                and see whether it works. I think you are more likely to succeed with
                XCode 1.5 than with 2.1.

                HTH --Benji Fisher
              • Jussi Hagman
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 30, 2005
                  On 30.10.2005, at 5:35, Benji Fisher wrote:

                  > On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:20:07AM -0400, Greg Linde wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Sorry if this is a repeat question, but are there any FAQs/hints
                  >> on how
                  >> to build vim within XCode 1.5? I've done the build with the
                  >> straightforward make and make install from the command line using CVS
                  >> to get the source, but I'd like to try to do all of this within XCode
                  >> using CVS as a way of familiarizing myself with the tool.
                  >>

                  > All I know is that the standard distribution contains the file
                  > os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj . I do not know whether this needs
                  > to be
                  > updated or not. You can try
                  > $ open os_mac.pbproj/project
                  > and see whether it works. I think you are more likely to succeed with
                  > XCode 1.5 than with 2.1.

                  I once tried to compile vim with Xcode 2.x and did not succeed,
                  probably because of my own cluelessness.

                  If my memory serves well .pbproj was used when Xcode was still called
                  project builder and with some very early versions of Xcode. After
                  that the project file format has changed majorly at least twice.
                  Going through .xcode to .xcodeproj.

                  As Benji said, with Xcode 1.5 the changes of compiling vim are a bit
                  higher than with a newer one. I don't know how much work it takes to
                  make xcode understand about the build system or if it should be done
                  separately from the makefiles used.

                  Good luck,
                  Jussi.

                • Axel Kielhorn
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 30, 2005
                    Am 30.10.2005 um 15:15 schrieb Jussi Hagman:

                    > As Benji said, with Xcode 1.5 the changes of compiling vim are a bit
                    > higher than with a newer one. I don't know how much work it takes to
                    > make xcode understand about the build system or if it should be done
                    > separately from the makefiles used.

                    I had problems building Vim with Xcode 1.1. After upgrading to 1.5 it
                    worked.
                    (I'm using configure make, not ProjectBuilder.)

                    Axel