Re: continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

  • Andre Berger
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 12, 2005
      * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:
      > Copying this info.plist:
      > http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
      > over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.
      >
      > Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
      > forget its existence.
      >
      > Bye.

      Daniele,

      just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
      installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
      for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
      as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
      Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
      with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
      background either.

      I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
      trying.

      -Andre
    • Chris Fonnesbeck
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12, 2005
        On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <andre.berger@...> wrote:
        > * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:
        > > Copying this info.plist:
        > > http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
        > > over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.
        > >
        > > Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
        > > forget its existence.
        > >
        > > Bye.
        >
        > Daniele,
        >
        > just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
        > installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
        > for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
        > as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
        > Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
        > with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
        > background either.
        >
        > I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
        > trying.

        Yes, to confirm this certainly does not work, at least for vim 6.3 on
        Tiger. All files assigned to vim immediately snap back to the original
        application after clicking on "change all". Thanks for the advice
        though.

        C.
      • Andre Berger
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12, 2005
          * Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...>, 2005-08-12 16:00 +0200:
          > On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <andre.berger@...> wrote:
          > > * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:
          > > > Copying this info.plist:
          > > > http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
          > > > over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.
          > > >
          > > > Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
          > > > forget its existence.
          > > >
          > > > Bye.
          > >
          > > Daniele,
          > >
          > > just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
          > > installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
          > > for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
          > > as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
          > > Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
          > > with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
          > > background either.
          > >
          > > I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
          > > trying.
          > >

          > Yes, to confirm this certainly does not work, at least for vim 6.3 on
          > Tiger. All files assigned to vim immediately snap back to the original
          > application after clicking on "change all". Thanks for the advice
          > though.

          Found the background article I had in mind:

          <http://lists.apple.com/archives/Carbon-dev/2005/May/msg01320.html>

          -Andre
        • Chris Fonnesbeck
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12, 2005
            On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <andre.berger@...> wrote:
            > * Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...>, 2005-08-12 16:00 +0200:
            > > On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <andre.berger@...> wrote:
            > > > * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:

            > > > Daniele,
            > > >
            > > > just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
            > > > installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
            > > > for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
            > > > as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
            > > > Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
            > > > with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
            > > > background either.
            > > >
            > > > I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
            > > > trying.
            > > >

            > > Yes, to confirm this certainly does not work, at least for vim 6.3 on
            > > Tiger. All files assigned to vim immediately snap back to the original
            > > application after clicking on "change all". Thanks for the advice
            > > though.
            >
            > Found the background article I had in mind:
            >
            > <http://lists.apple.com/archives/Carbon-dev/2005/May/msg01320.html>

            Thanks Andre ... sounds like we'll just have to wait.
          • Daniele Venzano
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 12, 2005
              I have uploaded a new Info.plist on the same place as before (http://
              www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist), but the only thing I changed was
              the icon name. That file is working for me, and I tried again to
              conform that.

              Did you rebuild the LaunchServices database by doing:
              /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/
              Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/Current/Support/
              lsregister -r -v -f /Applications/Vim.app

              I forgot to mention this in the previous mail, but it is quite an
              important thing to make OsX aware that something changed.

              Bye.

              --
              Daniele Venzano
              http://www.brownhat.org
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 12, 2005
                * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 21:50 +0200:
                > I have uploaded a new Info.plist on the same place as before (http://
                > www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist), but the only thing I changed was
                > the icon name. That file is working for me, and I tried again to
                > conform that.
                >
                > Did you rebuild the LaunchServices database by doing:
                > /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/
                > Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/Current/Support/
                > lsregister -r -v -f /Applications/Vim.app
                >
                > I forgot to mention this in the previous mail, but it is quite an
                > important thing to make OsX aware that something changed.

                Didn't make a difference here, still no go.

                -Andre