Re: continuing trouble associating Vim with file types in Tiger

  • Andre Berger
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 11 3:49 PM
      * Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...>, 2005-08-11 23:10 +0200:
      > I was wondering if anyone has made headway with associating Vim as the
      > default application for particular file types. I tried following the
      > advice of an earlier thread on the subject (back in May), but to no
      > avail. Any attempt to associate Vim with a given file time simply
      > snaps back to the original file application in the info panel for that
      > file. So far, no tinkering with Info.plist has improved the situation.
      >
      > Any recommendations most welcome.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chris

      Using Tiger? It's a bug, but I don't remember where I read about it.

      -Andre
    • Daniele Venzano
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12 1:11 AM
        Copying this info.plist:
        http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
        over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.

        Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
        forget its existence.

        Bye.

        --
        Daniele Venzano
        http://www.brownhat.org
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12 2:30 AM
          * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:
          > Copying this info.plist:
          > http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
          > over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.
          >
          > Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
          > forget its existence.
          >
          > Bye.

          Daniele,

          just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
          installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
          for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
          as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
          Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
          with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
          background either.

          I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
          trying.

          -Andre
        • Chris Fonnesbeck
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12 6:42 AM
            On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <andre.berger@...> wrote:
            > * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:
            > > Copying this info.plist:
            > > http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
            > > over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.
            > >
            > > Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
            > > forget its existence.
            > >
            > > Bye.
            >
            > Daniele,
            >
            > just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
            > installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
            > for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
            > as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
            > Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
            > with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
            > background either.
            >
            > I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
            > trying.

            Yes, to confirm this certainly does not work, at least for vim 6.3 on
            Tiger. All files assigned to vim immediately snap back to the original
            application after clicking on "change all". Thanks for the advice
            though.

            C.
          • Andre Berger
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 12 7:03 AM
              * Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...>, 2005-08-12 16:00 +0200:
              > On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <andre.berger@...> wrote:
              > > * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:
              > > > Copying this info.plist:
              > > > http://www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist
              > > > over the one available in the Vim.app bundle should solve the problem.
              > > >
              > > > Vim is not setting the CFBundleIdentifier field, causing Tiger to
              > > > forget its existence.
              > > >
              > > > Bye.
              > >
              > > Daniele,
              > >
              > > just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
              > > installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
              > > for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
              > > as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
              > > Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
              > > with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
              > > background either.
              > >
              > > I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
              > > trying.
              > >

              > Yes, to confirm this certainly does not work, at least for vim 6.3 on
              > Tiger. All files assigned to vim immediately snap back to the original
              > application after clicking on "change all". Thanks for the advice
              > though.

              Found the background article I had in mind:

              <http://lists.apple.com/archives/Carbon-dev/2005/May/msg01320.html>

              -Andre
            • Chris Fonnesbeck
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 12 7:14 AM
                On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <andre.berger@...> wrote:
                > * Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...>, 2005-08-12 16:00 +0200:
                > > On 8/12/05, Andre Berger <andre.berger@...> wrote:
                > > > * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 10:20 +0200:

                > > > Daniele,
                > > >
                > > > just to make sure, you're suggesting to copy this file to the
                > > > installed vim's Vim.app/Contents/, right? Not only it doesn't work
                > > > for me: I cannot assign all ".txt" files to Vim (though it shows up
                > > > as a recommended application now) using Info: Change all in the
                > > > Finder; Vim also never gets to the foreground when started from mutt
                > > > with the exec switch, and doesn't seem to take clicks in the
                > > > background either.
                > > >
                > > > I strongly suggest to make a backup copy of your Info.plist before
                > > > trying.
                > > >

                > > Yes, to confirm this certainly does not work, at least for vim 6.3 on
                > > Tiger. All files assigned to vim immediately snap back to the original
                > > application after clicking on "change all". Thanks for the advice
                > > though.
                >
                > Found the background article I had in mind:
                >
                > <http://lists.apple.com/archives/Carbon-dev/2005/May/msg01320.html>

                Thanks Andre ... sounds like we'll just have to wait.
              • Daniele Venzano
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 12 12:49 PM
                  I have uploaded a new Info.plist on the same place as before (http://
                  www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist), but the only thing I changed was
                  the icon name. That file is working for me, and I tried again to
                  conform that.

                  Did you rebuild the LaunchServices database by doing:
                  /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/
                  Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/Current/Support/
                  lsregister -r -v -f /Applications/Vim.app

                  I forgot to mention this in the previous mail, but it is quite an
                  important thing to make OsX aware that something changed.

                  Bye.

                  --
                  Daniele Venzano
                  http://www.brownhat.org
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 12 12:55 PM
                    * Daniele Venzano <venza@...>, 2005-08-12 21:50 +0200:
                    > I have uploaded a new Info.plist on the same place as before (http://
                    > www.brownhat.org/rlieh/Info.plist), but the only thing I changed was
                    > the icon name. That file is working for me, and I tried again to
                    > conform that.
                    >
                    > Did you rebuild the LaunchServices database by doing:
                    > /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/
                    > Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/Current/Support/
                    > lsregister -r -v -f /Applications/Vim.app
                    >
                    > I forgot to mention this in the previous mail, but it is quite an
                    > important thing to make OsX aware that something changed.

                    Didn't make a difference here, still no go.

                    -Andre