Re: Italic and other variant fonts

  • Jussi Hagman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2005
      Quoting Robert Goulding (Goulding.2@...):
      > Is there anything I can do to help Vim.app recognize these variants,
      > or is this a (current?) limitation of the OS X port?

      Here is a small patch that fixes the limitation. It has not been tested
      enough, it could result some rendering problems, but you can try it. The
      patch is applied as instructed here[1].

      The minimal patch enables italic only using anti-aliased Carbon
      rendering, it does not change aliased rendering. I'm not 100% sure if
      the changes to ifdefs are as they should be (FEAT_GUI_MAC).

      I guess we should make the split between OS X and classic sources. I'm
      not familiar with autotools at all. Could Bram, or someone who knows
      more about them, tell what changes are needed to the build process so
      that we could make the split?

      Greetings,
      Jussi

      [1] http://www.vim.org/patches.php

    • Robert Goulding
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2005
        On Jul 20, 2005, at 10:50 AM, Jussi Hagman wrote:

        > Quoting Robert Goulding (Goulding.2@...):
        >> Is there anything I can do to help Vim.app recognize these variants,
        >> or is this a (current?) limitation of the OS X port?
        >
        > Here is a small patch that fixes the limitation. It has not been tested
        > enough, it could result some rendering problems, but you can try it.
        > The
        > patch is applied as instructed here[1].
        >
        > The minimal patch enables italic only using anti-aliased Carbon
        > rendering, it does not change aliased rendering. I'm not 100% sure if
        > the changes to ifdefs are as they should be (FEAT_GUI_MAC).

        Applied to latest CVS - this works fine, so long as linespace is set to
        0. When it is set to some other number, the italicized text leaves
        'trails' behind it. ISTR there was the same display problem with
        linespace in the Carbon GUI some time back, which was fixed in the CVS
        - this patch seems to re-awaken it. But apart from that it is lovely!

        Robert.