compiling on OS X.1 (was: new developer, longtime user)

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
      Dany St-Amant wrote:

      [snip]
      > Vim 6.0 under MacOS X can be compiled out-of-the-box from Terminal.app,
      > with XonX (I only tried the Athena Widget), and with Carbon (need patch
      > 6.0.018).
      > [The X or Console version should still compile, it was so a few beta
      > ago.]

      I can conform that it is easy to compile a terminal-only version using
      terminal.app under Mac OS X.1. ./configure, make, make install. Can you give
      instructions for compiling a Carbon version this way?

      > I do not believe it will be easy to provide a Cocoa interface, as it
      [...]

      Eventually, but I will not complain if you work on other things first!

      > The mains GUI thing missing from the Carbon version are:
      > -the Toolbar: Which I didn't got time to look at, and consider as icing.
      > -clean DialogBox: Which need to be really looked at.

      Sounds reasonable.

      [snip]
      > There's seem to even be a way to detect if an application is launch from
      > the
      > Finder.app or from Terminal.app. The Finder.app always use a -ppsn. So
      > the
      > auto selection could include the console version. Probably, to provide
      > Carbon and Console mode will be the first step toward success.

      Is this why, when I start up Vim.app (Carbon version, compiled from
      Project Builder) from the Finder, I get the message
      What does this mean: -psn_0_917505
      (with the number changing from time to time)? Less serious: in
      Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist, I see "Vim 6.0ae", which should be updated.
      [snip]

      The Carbon version seems to work, but without access to the shell. maybe
      I should just try it, but what happens if I compile with -DMACOS_X_UNIX? Do I
      just get the terminal version that I already have, or do I get a Carbon
      version with syntax highlighting, access to the shell, and maybe a few less
      important features missing?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Dany St-Amant
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 25, 2001
        Le Jeudi 25 octobre 2001, à 09:21 , Benji Fisher a écrit :

        > Dany St-Amant wrote:
        >>
        > [snip]
        >> Vim 6.0 under MacOS X can be compiled out-of-the-box from Terminal.app,
        >> with XonX (I only tried the Athena Widget), and with Carbon (need patch
        >> 6.0.018).
        >> [The X or Console version should still compile, it was so a few beta
        >> ago.]
        >
        > I can conform that it is easy to compile a terminal-only version
        > using
        > terminal.app under Mac OS X.1. ./configure, make, make install. Can
        > you give
        > instructions for compiling a Carbon version this way?

        I haven't yet tried to compile a Carbon version from the Terminal.app.
        I'll take a look at how Project Builder do the compilation to see what I
        can do, but I don't think I'll be able to get something good as I never
        had to play with Makefiles and configure stuff.

        [...]

        >> There's seem to even be a way to detect if an application is launch
        >> from
        >> the
        >> Finder.app or from Terminal.app. The Finder.app always use a -ppsn. So
        >> the
        >> auto selection could include the console version. Probably, to provide
        >> Carbon and Console mode will be the first step toward success.
        >
        > Is this why, when I start up Vim.app (Carbon version, compiled from
        > Project Builder) from the Finder, I get the message
        > What does this mean: -psn_0_917505
        > (with the number changing from time to time)? Less serious: in
        > Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist, I see "Vim 6.0ae", which should be updated.
        > [snip]

        Doh! I probably used that message while debugging. I'll remove it next
        time I ship
        some patch to Bram (probably by next Monday, as this message can get
        annoying)

        > The Carbon version seems to work, but without access to the
        > shell. maybe
        > I should just try it, but what happens if I compile with
        > -DMACOS_X_UNIX? Do I
        > just get the terminal version that I already have, or do I get a Carbon
        > version with syntax highlighting, access to the shell, and maybe a few
        > less
        > important features missing?

        The -DMACOS_X_UNIX provide a Carbon version which can use the shell.
        There's
        some limited drawback for oldtime Mac user. (I can't remember the few
        limitation.
        They are due to the use of os_unix.c instead of os_mac.c). When time
        allow it,
        I'll try to merge back those 2 Carbon versions.

        Dany
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26, 2001
          Dany:

          Thanks for the reply, not to mention all the work you do!

          Dany St-Amant wrote:

          > Le Jeudi 25 octobre 2001, à 09:21 , Benji Fisher a écrit :
          >
          > > Dany St-Amant wrote:
          > >>
          > > [snip]
          > >> Vim 6.0 under MacOS X can be compiled out-of-the-box from Terminal.app,
          > >> with XonX (I only tried the Athena Widget), and with Carbon (need patch
          > >> 6.0.018).
          > >> [The X or Console version should still compile, it was so a few beta
          > >> ago.]
          > >
          > > I can conform that it is easy to compile a terminal-only version
          > > using
          > > terminal.app under Mac OS X.1. ./configure, make, make install. Can
          > > you give
          > > instructions for compiling a Carbon version this way?
          >
          > I haven't yet tried to compile a Carbon version from the Terminal.app.
          > I'll take a look at how Project Builder do the compilation to see what I
          > can do, but I don't think I'll be able to get something good as I never
          > had to play with Makefiles and configure stuff.

          It is not that important; I can use PB. I only asked because I mis-read
          what you said above.

          [...]
          > The -DMACOS_X_UNIX provide a Carbon version which can use the shell.
          > There's
          > some limited drawback for oldtime Mac user. (I can't remember the few
          > limitation.
          > They are due to the use of os_unix.c instead of os_mac.c). When time
          > allow it,
          > I'll try to merge back those 2 Carbon versions.

          I tried defining -DMACOS_X_UNIX in Project Builder, but :!ls came back
          empty and :grep gave an error message. Yes, I hit the "clean" button before
          "hammering" again. Any ideas what went wrong, or examples of shell escapes
          that should work? From your description, this sounds like the version I would
          like to use.

          --Benji Fisher
        • Dany St-Amant
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2001
            Le Vendredi 26 octobre 2001, à 07:39 , Benji Fisher a écrit :

            > I tried defining -DMACOS_X_UNIX in Project Builder, but :!ls came
            > back
            > empty and :grep gave an error message. Yes, I hit the "clean" button
            > before
            > "hammering" again. Any ideas what went wrong, or examples of shell
            > escapes
            > that should work? From your description, this sounds like the version
            > I would
            > like to use.

            I did some retesting and the support for the ! is partial. There's a
            comment in os_mac.h
            which mention that the output of the shell go into the debugger. This is
            due to the fact
            that I defined USE_SYSTEM in os_mac.h as a shortcut into getting that
            version. I left
            for later the attempt to compile without USE_SYSTEM (or I may have left
            it as an
            exercise to the reader ;)

            For the :grep, it seems to work (I never used :grep before) if we do a:

            :set shellquote=\"

            <Visual>! and r ! work relatively well (as the output is sent back to
            vim), but :! doesn't.

            Note: <Visual>! require the use of a unix formatted text.

            Dany
          • Dany St-Amant
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
              Le Dimanche 28 octobre 2001, à 11:46 , gmark@... a écrit :

              > On Sunday, October 28, 2001, at 08:47 PM, Dany St-Amant wrote:
              >

              >> Le Vendredi 26 octobre 2001, à 07:39 , Benji Fisher a écrit :
              >>
              >>> I tried defining -DMACOS_X_UNIX in Project Builder, but :!ls
              >>> came back
              >>> empty and :grep gave an error message. [...]

              >> I did some retesting and the support for the ! is partial. There's a
              >> comment in os_mac.h [...]

              > Maybe I'm catching on slow. I notice that using Vim from the
              > terminal shell doesn't allow me to escape to the shell from
              > within Vim.
              >
              > Is this part of what folks have been trying to rectify, or is
              > there just a setting I can make in the .vimrc file to allow
              > me to escape to Ksh?

              The discussion is around using the Carbon MacOS X version,
              with some extra unix support (-DMACOS_X_UNIX). So it doesn't
              apply to your situation.

              Not being a big UNIX user, I cannot really help. But there's seem
              to be quite a few other "mostly UNIX" user using the console version
              of vim on MacOS X on the vim-mac list who (or is it whom?) could help.

              Dany
            • Dany St-Amant
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2001
                Le Dimanche 28 octobre 2001, à 09:47 , Dany St-Amant a écrit :

                > Le Vendredi 26 octobre 2001, à 07:39 , Benji Fisher a écrit :
                >
                >> I tried defining -DMACOS_X_UNIX in Project Builder, but :!ls came
                >> back
                >> empty and :grep gave an error message. Yes, I hit the "clean" button
                >> before
                >> "hammering" again. Any ideas what went wrong, or examples of shell
                >> escapes
                >> that should work? From your description, this sounds like the version
                >> I would
                >> like to use.
                >
                > I did some retesting and the support for the ! is partial. There's a
                > comment in os_mac.h
                > which mention that the output of the shell go into the debugger. This
                > is due to the fact
                > that I defined USE_SYSTEM in os_mac.h as a shortcut into getting that
                > version. I left
                > for later the attempt to compile without USE_SYSTEM (or I may have left
                > it as an
                > exercise to the reader ;)
                >
                > For the :grep, it seems to work (I never used :grep before) if we do a:

                Just got addicted to the :grep. The attached patch should provide better
                shell
                support when compiling with -DMACOS_X_UNIX, as USE_SYSTEM is not
                used anymore. There's still a possible type ahead issue as I removed the
                call
                to ui_inchar_undo for now, I'll dig later on into this.

                > :set shellquote=\"

                This doesn't seem to be needed anymore (when compiled without USE_SYSTEM)

                > <Visual>! and r ! work relatively well (as the output is sent back to
                > vim), but :! doesn't.
                >
                > Note: <Visual>! require the use of a unix formatted text.

                The patch also include the removal of the alert about -psn when launching
                Vim from Finder.app. As well as a fix for the auto :checktime. (i.e:
                When returning
                to Vim, if one of the file have been change externally, an alert will
                show up.)

                Please feel free to try and comment.
                Compiled and tested only on Carbon MacOS X (over version 6.0.041)

                Dany, learning to mention the "Carbon" to differentiate from the console
                version.
              • Dany St-Amant
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                  Weird? Mail.app complained about this mail not being sent...
                  And it have been sent without attachment..
                  Hoping this time the attachment will make its way through.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                    I still can see my own attachment. So sending it with the old cut/paste
                    technic.

                    Le Mercredi 31 octobre 2001, à 07:23 , Dany St-Amant a écrit :

                    > Weird? Mail.app complained about this mail not being sent...
                    > And it have been sent without attachment..
                    > Hoping this time the attachment will make its way through.
                    >
                    > Le Dimanche 28 octobre 2001, à 09:47 , Dany St-Amant a écrit :
                    >

                    >> Le Vendredi 26 octobre 2001, à 07:39 , Benji Fisher a écrit :
                    >>
                    >>> I tried defining -DMACOS_X_UNIX in Project Builder, but :!ls
                    >>> came back
                    >>> empty and :grep gave an error message. Yes, I hit the "clean" button
                    >>> before
                    >>> "hammering" again. Any ideas what went wrong, or examples of shell
                    >>> escapes
                    >>> that should work? From your description, this sounds like the
                    >>> version I would
                    >>> like to use.
                    >>
                    >> I did some retesting and the support for the ! is partial. There's a
                    >> comment in os_mac.h
                    >> which mention that the output of the shell go into the debugger. This
                    >> is due to the fact
                    >> that I defined USE_SYSTEM in os_mac.h as a shortcut into getting that
                    >> version. I left
                    >> for later the attempt to compile without USE_SYSTEM (or I may have
                    >> left it as an
                    >> exercise to the reader ;)
                    >>
                    >> For the :grep, it seems to work (I never used :grep before) if we do a:
                    >
                    > Just got addicted to the :grep. The attached patch should provide
                    > better shell
                    > support when compiling with -DMACOS_X_UNIX, as USE_SYSTEM is not
                    > used anymore. There's still a possible type ahead issue as I removed
                    > the call
                    > to ui_inchar_undo for now, I'll dig later on into this.
                    >
                    >> :set shellquote=\"
                    >
                    > This doesn't seem to be needed anymore (when compiled without
                    > USE_SYSTEM)
                    >
                    >> <Visual>! and r ! work relatively well (as the output is sent back to
                    >> vim), but :! doesn't.
                    >>
                    >> Note: <Visual>! require the use of a unix formatted text.
                    >
                    > The patch also include the removal of the alert about -psn when
                    > launching
                    > Vim from Finder.app. As well as a fix for the auto :checktime. (i.e:
                    > When returning
                    > to Vim, if one of the file have been change externally, an alert will
                    > show up.)
                    >
                    > Please feel free to try and comment.
                    > Compiled and tested only on Carbon MacOS X (over version 6.0.041)
                    >
                    > Dany, learning to mention the "Carbon" to differentiate from the
                    > console version.

                    diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/ex_getln.c ./src/ex_getln.c
                    diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/gui_mac.c ./src/gui_mac.c
                    *** ../vim60_ori/src/gui_mac.c Mon Aug 27 11:23:35 2001
                    --- ./src/gui_mac.c Tue Oct 30 22:21:59 2001
                    ***************
                    *** 1882,1893 ****

                    whichWindow = (WindowPtr) event->message;
                    if ((event->modifiers) & activeFlag)
                    ! /* Activate */
                    ! gui.in_focus = TRUE;
                    else
                    {
                    /* Deactivate */
                    ! gui.in_focus = FALSE;
                    /* DON'T KNOW what the code below was doing
                    found in the deactivate clause, but the
                    clause writting TRUE into in_focus (BUG)
                    --- 1882,1893 ----

                    whichWindow = (WindowPtr) event->message;
                    if ((event->modifiers) & activeFlag)
                    ! /* Activate */
                    ! gui_focus_change(TRUE);
                    else
                    {
                    /* Deactivate */
                    ! gui_focus_change(FALSE);
                    /* DON'T KNOW what the code below was doing
                    found in the deactivate clause, but the
                    clause writting TRUE into in_focus (BUG)
                    ***************
                    *** 1899,1905 ****
                    SetOutlinePreferred (a_bool);
                    #endif
                    }
                    - gui_update_cursor(TRUE, FALSE);
                    }

                    --- 1899,1904 ----
                    ***************
                    *** 1921,1932 ****
                    * get an activate/desactivate event
                    */
                    if (event->message & 1)
                    ! /* Resume */
                    ! gui.in_focus = TRUE;
                    else
                    ! /* Suspend */
                    ! gui.in_focus = FALSE;
                    ! gui_update_cursor(TRUE, FALSE);
                    }

                    /*
                    --- 1920,1930 ----
                    * get an activate/desactivate event
                    */
                    if (event->message & 1)
                    ! /* Resume */
                    ! gui_focus_change(TRUE);
                    else
                    ! /* Suspend */
                    ! gui_focus_change(FALSE);
                    }

                    /*
                    diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/main.c ./src/main.c
                    *** ../vim60_ori/src/main.c Fri Sep 21 14:27:36 2001
                    --- ./src/main.c Tue Oct 30 22:32:52 2001
                    ***************
                    *** 171,177 ****
                    qnx_init(); /* PhAttach() for clipboard, mouse (and gui) */
                    #endif

                    ! #ifdef FEAT_GUI_MAC
                    /* Macintosh needs this before any memory is allocated. */
                    gui_prepare(&argc, argv); /* Prepare for possibly starting GUI
                    sometime */
                    TIME_MSG("GUI prepared");
                    --- 171,177 ----
                    qnx_init(); /* PhAttach() for clipboard, mouse (and gui) */
                    #endif

                    ! #ifdef MAC_OS_CLASSIC
                    /* Macintosh needs this before any memory is allocated. */
                    gui_prepare(&argc, argv); /* Prepare for possibly starting GUI
                    sometime */
                    TIME_MSG("GUI prepared");
                    ***************
                    *** 297,303 ****
                    #ifdef FEAT_SUN_WORKSHOP
                    findYourself(argv[0]);
                    #endif
                    ! #if defined(FEAT_GUI) && !defined(FEAT_GUI_MAC)
                    gui_prepare(&argc, argv); /* Prepare for possibly starting GUI
                    sometime */
                    TIME_MSG("GUI prepared");
                    #endif
                    --- 297,303 ----
                    #ifdef FEAT_SUN_WORKSHOP
                    findYourself(argv[0]);
                    #endif
                    ! #if defined(FEAT_GUI) && !defined(MAC_OS_CLASSIC)
                    gui_prepare(&argc, argv); /* Prepare for possibly starting GUI
                    sometime */
                    TIME_MSG("GUI prepared");
                    #endif
                    ***************
                    *** 633,641 ****
                    -psn_0_10223617 is passed in when invoke from Finder
                    or with the 'open' command */
                    case 'p':
                    - mch_errmsg("What does this mean: ");
                    - mch_errmsg(argv[0]);
                    - mch_errmsg("\n");
                    argv_idx = -1; /* bypass full -psn */
                    break;
                    #endif
                    --- 633,638 ----
                    diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/misc2.c ./src/misc2.c
                    *** ../vim60_ori/src/misc2.c Tue Oct 30 22:16:55 2001
                    --- ./src/misc2.c Tue Oct 30 22:51:20 2001
                    ***************
                    *** 5243,5249 ****
                    #define EXTRASIZE 5 /* increment to add to env. size */

                    static int envsize = -1; /* current size of environment */
                    ! #ifndef MACOS
                    extern
                    #endif
                    char **environ; /* the global which is your env. */
                    --- 5243,5249 ----
                    #define EXTRASIZE 5 /* increment to add to env. size */

                    static int envsize = -1; /* current size of environment */
                    ! #ifndef MACOS_CLASSIC
                    extern
                    #endif
                    char **environ; /* the global which is your env. */
                    diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/os_mac.h ./src/os_mac.h
                    *** ../vim60_ori/src/os_mac.h Thu Aug 23 05:06:28 2001
                    --- ./src/os_mac.h Tue Oct 30 22:22:00 2001
                    ***************
                    *** 29,63 ****
                    #include <OSUtils.h>
                    #include <Files.h>
                    #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
                    ! #include <Script.h>
                    #endif

                    /*
                    * Unix interface
                    */
                    ! #if defined(__MWERKS__)/* Only for metrowerks and MacOSX Compilers */
                    # include <unistd.h>
                    # include <utsname.h>
                    - # include <stat.h>
                    # include <unix.h>
                    #endif
                    ! #if defined(__APPLE_CC__)
                    # include <unistd.h>
                    - # include <sys/stat.h>
                    - # include <curses.h>
                    - /* Remove some BACKWARD compatibilty stuff */
                    - # undef reg
                    - # undef ospeed
                    #endif
                    ! #include <signal.h>
                    ! #include <errno.h>
                    ! #include <stdio.h>
                    ! #include <stdlib.h>
                    ! #include <time.h>
                    ! #ifdef MACOS_X
                    ! # include <dirent.h>
                    #endif
                    #if defined(__MRC__) || defined(__SC__) /* for Apple MPW Compilers */
                    # ifdef powerc
                    # pragma options align=power
                    # endif
                    --- 29,57 ----
                    #include <OSUtils.h>
                    #include <Files.h>
                    #ifdef FEAT_MBYTE
                    ! # include <Script.h>
                    #endif

                    /*
                    * Unix interface
                    */
                    ! #if defined(__MWERKS__) /* for CodeWarrior */
                    # include <unistd.h>
                    # include <utsname.h>
                    # include <unix.h>
                    #endif
                    ! #if defined(__APPLE_CC__) /* for Project Builder and ... */
                    # include <unistd.h>
                    #endif
                    ! /* Get stat.h or something similar. Comment: How come some OS get in
                    in vim.h */
                    ! #if defined(__MWERKS__)
                    ! # include <stat.h>
                    ! #endif
                    ! #if defined(__APPLE_CC__)
                    ! # include <sys/stat.h>
                    #endif
                    #if defined(__MRC__) || defined(__SC__) /* for Apple MPW Compilers */
                    + /* There's no stat.h for MPW? */
                    # ifdef powerc
                    # pragma options align=power
                    # endif
                    ***************
                    *** 71,88 ****
                    # pragma options align=reset
                    # endif
                    #endif
                    !
                    ! /*
                    ! * Allow use of MacOS memory allocation subroutine
                    ! */
                    ! #if 0 /* this doesn't work, because realloc() isn't redefined */
                    ! /*
                    ! * Use Macintosh subroutine to alloc the memory.
                    ! * (malloc generate Ptr format hard to debug with ZoneRanger)
                    ! */
                    ! # define malloc(x) NewPtr(x)
                    ! # define free(x) DisposePtr((char *) x)
                    ! # define realloc() something
                    #endif

                    /*
                    --- 65,84 ----
                    # pragma options align=reset
                    # endif
                    #endif
                    ! #if defined(__APPLE_CC__) /* && defined(HAVE_CURSE) */
                    ! /* The curses.h from MacOS X provides by default some BACKWARD
                    compatibilty
                    ! * definition which can cause us problem later on. So we undefine a
                    few of them. */
                    ! # include <curses.h>
                    ! # undef reg
                    ! # undef ospeed
                    ! #endif
                    ! #include <signal.h>
                    ! #include <errno.h>
                    ! #include <stdio.h>
                    ! #include <stdlib.h>
                    ! #include <time.h>
                    ! #ifdef MACOS_X
                    ! # include <dirent.h>
                    #endif

                    /*
                    ***************
                    *** 100,106 ****
                    # error "You must compile with enums always int!"
                    # endif
                    # if defined(__MWERKS__) && !defined(__fourbyteints__)
                    ! # error "You must compile the projecct with 4-byte ints"
                    /* MPW ints are always 4 byte long */
                    # endif
                    #endif
                    --- 96,102 ----
                    # error "You must compile with enums always int!"
                    # endif
                    # if defined(__MWERKS__) && !defined(__fourbyteints__)
                    ! # error "You must compile the project with 4-byte ints"
                    /* MPW ints are always 4 byte long */
                    # endif
                    #endif
                    ***************
                    *** 134,140 ****
                    #define CASE_INSENSITIVE_FILENAME /* ignore case when comparing file
                    names */
                    #define SPACE_IN_FILENAME
                    #define BREAKCHECK_SKIP 32 /* call mch_breakcheck() each
                    time, it's
                    ! quite fast */

                    #undef USE_FNAME_CASE /* So that :e os_Mac.c, :w, save back
                    the file as os_mac.c */
                    --- 130,136 ----
                    #define CASE_INSENSITIVE_FILENAME /* ignore case when comparing file
                    names */
                    #define SPACE_IN_FILENAME
                    #define BREAKCHECK_SKIP 32 /* call mch_breakcheck() each
                    time, it's
                    ! quite fast. Did I forgot to update the comment */

                    #undef USE_FNAME_CASE /* So that :e os_Mac.c, :w, save back
                    the file as os_mac.c */
                    ***************
                    *** 323,328 ****
                    --- 319,326 ----

                    #define WILDCHAR_LIST "*?[{`$"

                    + /**************/
                    +
                    #define mch_rename(src, dst) rename(src, dst)
                    #define mch_remove(x) unlink((char *)(x))
                    #if defined(__MRC__) || defined(__SC__)
                    ***************
                    *** 330,336 ****
                    # define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv((name), (val))
                    #elif defined(__APPLE_CC__)
                    # define mch_getenv(name) ((char_u *)getenv((char *)(name)))
                    ! # define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv((name), (val))
                    #else
                    /* vim_getenv() is in pty.c */
                    # define USE_VIMPTY_GETENV
                    --- 328,335 ----
                    # define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv((name), (val))
                    #elif defined(__APPLE_CC__)
                    # define mch_getenv(name) ((char_u *)getenv((char *)(name)))
                    ! /*# define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv((name), (val)) */ /*
                    Obsoleted by Dany on Oct 30, 2001 */
                    ! # define mch_setenv(name, val, x) setenv(name, val, x)
                    #else
                    /* vim_getenv() is in pty.c */
                    # define USE_VIMPTY_GETENV
                    ***************
                    *** 357,371 ****
                    # define SIGPROTOARG (int)
                    # define SIGDEFARG(s) (s) int s;
                    # define SIGDUMMYARG 0
                    ! # define USE_SYSTEM /* Output ship do debugger :(, but ot compile */
                    # define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
                    # define SYS_SELECT_WITH_SYS_TIME 1
                    # define HAVE_SELECT 1
                    # define HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H 1
                    # undef HAVE_AVAIL_MEM
                    # define mch_chdir(s) chdir(s)
                    #endif

                    ! /* A Mac constat causing big problem to syntax highlighting */
                    #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????'

                    --- 356,374 ----
                    # define SIGPROTOARG (int)
                    # define SIGDEFARG(s) (s) int s;
                    # define SIGDUMMYARG 0
                    ! /*# define USE_SYSTEM */ /* Output ship do debugger :(, but ot
                    compile */
                    ! # define HAVE_SYS_WAIT_H 1 /* Attempt */
                    # define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
                    # define SYS_SELECT_WITH_SYS_TIME 1
                    # define HAVE_SELECT 1
                    # define HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H 1
                    # undef HAVE_AVAIL_MEM
                    + # define HAVE_PUTENV
                    + # define HAVE_SETENV
                    + # define HAVE_RENAME
                    # define mch_chdir(s) chdir(s)
                    #endif

                    ! /* A Mac constant causing big problem to syntax highlighting */
                    #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????'

                    Only in ./src/os_mac.pbproj: dstamant.pbxuser
                    diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj
                    ./src/os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj
                    *** ../vim60_ori/src/os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj Tue Oct 30 20:25:24
                    2001
                    --- ./src/os_mac.pbproj/project.pbxproj Tue Oct 30 22:35:28 2001
                    ***************
                    *** 3,9 ****
                    archiveVersion = 1;
                    classes = {
                    };
                    ! objectVersion = 32;
                    objects = {
                    00EF808200C49A857F000001 = {
                    isa = PBXFileReference;
                    --- 3,9 ----
                    archiveVersion = 1;
                    classes = {
                    };
                    ! objectVersion = 34;
                    objects = {
                    00EF808200C49A857F000001 = {
                    isa = PBXFileReference;
                    ***************
                    *** 121,126 ****
                    --- 121,127 ----
                    );
                    buildSettings = {
                    COPY_PHASE_STRIP = NO;
                    + OPTIMIZATION_CFLAGS = "-O0";
                    };
                    isa = PBXBuildStyle;
                    name = Development;
                    ***************
                    *** 373,379 ****
                    HEADER_SEARCH_PATHS = "proto /Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon";
                    INSTALL_PATH = "$(HOME)/Applications";
                    LIBRARY_SEARCH_PATHS = "";
                    - OPTIMIZATION_CFLAGS = "";
                    OTHER_CFLAGS = "-DMACOS_X";
                    OTHER_LDFLAGS = "";
                    OTHER_REZFLAGS = "";
                    --- 374,379 ----
                    ***************
                    *** 496,501 ****
                    --- 496,502 ----
                    06B64A4B00BBD0257F000001,
                    F5D0FB2D00F8C2BF01000001,
                    F5E2C54000FACD0901000001,
                    + F5CC3220018E3F6801891561,
                    );
                    isa = PBXSourcesBuildPhase;
                    name = Sources;
                    ***************
                    *** 1445,1450 ****
                    --- 1446,1457 ----
                    //F52
                    //F53
                    //F54
                    + F5CC3220018E3F6801891561 = {
                    + fileRef = 273798E200B36B037F000001;
                    + isa = PBXBuildFile;
                    + settings = {
                    + };
                    + };
                    F5D0FB2B00F8C29A01000001 = {
                    children = (
                    F5D0FB2C00F8C2BF01000001,
                    diff -cr ../vim60_ori/src/os_unix.c ./src/os_unix.c
                    *** ../vim60_ori/src/os_unix.c Tue Oct 30 22:16:20 2001
                    --- ./src/os_unix.c Tue Oct 30 22:22:00 2001
                    ***************
                    *** 3438,3449 ****
                    finished:
                    p_more = p_more_save;

                    /*
                    * Give all typeahead that wasn't used back to ui_inchar().
                    */
                    if (ta_len)
                    ui_inchar_undo(ta_buf, ta_len);
                    !
                    State = old_State;
                    if (toshell_fd >= 0)
                    close(toshell_fd);
                    --- 3438,3450 ----
                    finished:
                    p_more = p_more_save;

                    + #ifndef MACOS_X_UNIX /* TODO: Is it needed for MACOS_X ? */
                    /*
                    * Give all typeahead that wasn't used back to ui_inchar().
                    */
                    if (ta_len)
                    ui_inchar_undo(ta_buf, ta_len);
                    ! #endif
                    State = old_State;
                    if (toshell_fd >= 0)
                    close(toshell_fd);
                    ***************
                    *** 3957,3963 ****
                    }

                    /* compile the regexp into a program */
                    ! #ifdef MACOS_X
                    regmatch.rm_ic = TRUE; /* Behave like Terminal.app */
                    #else
                    regmatch.rm_ic = FALSE; /* Don't ever ignore case */
                    --- 3958,3964 ----
                    }

                    /* compile the regexp into a program */
                    ! #ifdef MACOS_X /* Can/Should we use CASE_INSENSITIVE_FILENAME
                    instead ?*/
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                      On Wednesday, October 31, 2001, at 07:30 AM, Dany St-Amant wrote:

                      > I still can see my own attachment. So sending it with the old cut/paste
                      > technic.
                      > [snip]

                      OK, this is getting ridiculous. The mail.app that comes with OS X
                      refuses to save in plain text format. I had to copy to the clipboard,
                      open a terminal window, and

                      % cat > macpatch
                      <paste>
                      <C-D>

                      There has to be a better way! Can anyone recommend a better mail client
                      for OS X?

                      --Benji Fisher

                      P.S. I hope to have time tomorrow to apply the patch and post a binary
                      or two.
                    • Gregory Seidman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 31, 2001
                        Benji Fisher sez:
                        [...]
                        } There has to be a better way! Can anyone recommend a better mail client
                        } for OS X?

                        For Unix in general, I prefer Mutt. See www.mutt.org for info. If you're
                        comfortable with vim, mutt is a comfortable mail client.

                        } --Benji Fisher
                        }
                        } P.S. I hope to have time tomorrow to apply the patch and post a binary
                        } or two.

                        Keen!
                        --Greg