vim 56 - Japanese version

  • ASAI Kenichi
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3 2:02 AM
      Dear Vim-Mac developpers,

      # I have just joined this mailing list.

      It seems that I succeeded in making Japanese version of Vim 5.6 on
      Macintosh. Here I would like to report what I did.

      - I compiled Vim 5.6 + patch 1-14 + macpatch 01 on MacOS J1-8.1 (not
      Japanese Language Kit) on PowerBook G3 using CodeWarrior Professional
      (educational) following the instruction described at:

      http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/version56.mac01.html

      - The required changes are available at:

      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/macvim.tar.gz, or
      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/macvim.lzh, or
      the following eight diff files:
      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/os_mac.h.diff
      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/edit.c.diff
      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/feature.h.diff
      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/gui_mac.c.diff
      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/ex_docmd.c.diff
      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/multbyte.c.diff
      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/screen.c.diff
      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/charset.c.diff

      I now describe these changes in detail.

      - os_mac.h, edit.c

      I supported Macintosh equivalent of +xim. Namely, when you go into
      insert mode, the Input Method is enabled, and when going back to
      command mode, it is disabled.

      Because I think only is_dbcs people want this function, it might be
      better to insert: "if (is_dbcs)" to each change in edit.c, or define a
      new compiler directive like MACINTOSH_IM_CONTROL.

      - feature.h

      I just turned #define MULTI_BYTE on.

      - gui_mac.c

      I changed gui_mch_draw_sting so that when the character on the cursor
      is multibyte, the size of cursor is doubled. Because this change is
      universal to all platforms (I think), the change could be made in
      gui.c, too. I actually did this at first, but since I do not
      comprehend all the platforms, I moved the changes into gui_mac.c. For
      your reference, I put my original change in gui.c at:

      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/gui.c.diff

      - ex_docmd.c

      For this patch, I just posted it to vim-multibyte@.... Here is
      the description:

      When multibyte charcters are used in ex command such as

      set guifont=<font name using multibyte>

      and if the multibyte contains "|" (0x7c) in its trail byte, this "|"
      is mistakenly interpreted as the separation of ex commands.

      (The patches up to here are patches that seem to be ok. The patches
      from here on are required for me to use Japanese, but they are not
      very clean nor general. Thus, you should not incorporate them
      immediately.)

      - multbyte.c

      I changed the IsLeadByte so that if MSB is on, it returns true.
      CodeWarrior does not seem to support mblen properly. (Even when we
      use Japanese, this is not always true, and better solution should be
      persued here.)

      - screen.c

      I needed a patch for handling non-printable characters when they are a
      lead byte. I hear that Japanese port of Windows GVIM does not need
      this change, which means that I might be able to find better solution
      to this.

      I also made a change on the ruler dispaly. When the cursor is on
      multibyte characters, the ruler shows 2 bytes as its character code.

      - charset.c

      I needed to change the required length for each character in chartab.
      This change is probably wrong, but without this change, character
      count for Japanese text goes wrong. Some thorough solution required.

      This is it. With these patches, I could somehow use Japanese on vim
      on macintosh (although it's far from perfect). I hope this helps the
      development of multibyte vim on Macintosh.

      Finally, several other things:

      - I would like to distribute the binary for this Japanese vim on my
      homepage, because there seems to be some people who actually want to
      use it. Would this be possible?

      - Do I need any statement on copyright? I do not need any copyright
      on the diff files I made, so please use it in anyway (but without any
      warranty).

      - I requested several things a few weeks ago (--enable-multibyte,
      --enable-fontset, --enable-langmap, --perlinterp, and
      --enable-xim-equivalent), but most of them are resolved now. So now,
      I would like to ask one thing: any way to launch application (like
      launch(filename) and launch_background(filename)). Since we have
      AppleScript, if we can launch an application, we can do wide variety
      of things. (Currently, I know nothing about inter-process
      communication on Macintosh...)

      Sincerely,

      ---
      Kenichi Asai

      PS.

      Axel said:
      >I'm currently in Hamamatsu and have only my PowerBook with me. My plan is
      >to return to germany at the end of april and then I will work at the Mac
      >port again.

      Oops! What a coincidence. I was in Hamamatsu from March 20-22. I
      might have seen you there...
    • ASAI Kenichi
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3 7:21 PM
        Dear Mac-Vim developpers,

        I received an e-mail asking the exact release of my CodeWarrior
        compiler. It is:

        CodeWarrior Professional (Academic) Release 5

        Although I bought a Japanese version, I believe I installed only
        English version. (To install Japanese version, I first have to
        install English version, and then Japanese version on top of it (which
        I did not do)). This is all the information my package says. If this
        information is not sufficient, please ask me again (together with
        how to find it).

        I was also advised to read ":help copying" to see about copyright and
        binary distribution. As I understand, it is OK to distribute the
        binaries I made as long as the changes are available, so I made them
        available in my homepage at:

        http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim-e.html

        If you noticed any problem, please let me know.

        Sincerely,

        ---
        Kenichi Asai
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3 11:43 PM
          Kenichi Asai wrote:

          > It seems that I succeeded in making Japanese version of Vim 5.6 on
          > Macintosh. Here I would like to report what I did.

          That is very nice. I looked through your changes and it they appear to be
          small. However, a few changes look like they might cause problems when used
          in another environment (not Macintosh or not multi-byte).

          I suggest distributing this as a patch on top of the available Vim version for
          a while. Perhaps you can improve it further if remarks are made. I can
          include the changes in the main Vim distribution after some confidence is
          build up.

          Your detailed description of the changes is very good! Please update it when
          making further changes.

          For people in vim-multibyte who want to see the original message, go to the
          vim-mac archive: http://www.egroups.com/group/vim-mac

          > - I would like to distribute the binary for this Japanese vim on my
          > homepage, because there seems to be some people who actually want to
          > use it. Would this be possible?

          Vim can be distributed freely. That also applies to modified versions.

          > - Do I need any statement on copyright? I do not need any copyright
          > on the diff files I made, so please use it in anyway (but without any
          > warranty).

          I would not worry about copyright. If you would not want others to use this,
          you would not have send it to this list.

          --
          Living on Earth includes an annual free trip around the Sun.

        • Kenichi Asai
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11 1:30 AM
            Dear Vim-Mac developpers,

            - I found that "set isprint=@,~-255" makes some changes unnecessary
            that I made before.
            - I had a small problem with patch 5.6.061 when compiling with CodeWarrior.
            - I updated my release of Japanese Vim 5.6. It is available at:
            http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim-e.html

            In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
            chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
            setting

            set isprint=@,~-255

            those changes are unnecessary. (On Windows, the above setting is the
            default. On Macintosh, it isn't. It might be a good idea to set it
            default on Macintosh, too, but I do not understand its consequence
            very much.) Here goes the detailed description on my current patches.

            - os_mac.h.diff, edit.c.diff, feature.h.diff

            Same as before.

            - gui_mac.c.diff

            Almost the same as before. I changed it a little bit so that I can
            manage the case where the first byte is LeadByte and the second byte
            is null.

            - multbyte.c.diff

            Same as before. (Still need further consideration.)

            - screen.c

            The changes are only for displaying a ruler:

            >I also made a change on the ruler dispaly. When the cursor is on
            >multibyte characters, the ruler shows 2 bytes as its character code.

            - term.c

            CodeWarrior complians that it cannot cast
            (char *) p->bt_string
            into
            (char_u *).

            - ex_docmd.c

            This is incorporated as 5.6.052.

            - chartab.c

            No changes required any more. My previous patch for chartab.c was removed.

            Sincerely,

            ---
            Kenichi Asai
          • Axel Kielhorn
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12 5:02 AM
              At 17:30 Uhr +0900 2000-04-11, Kenichi Asai wrote:
              >Dear Vim-Mac developpers,

              >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
              >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
              >setting
              >
              >set isprint=@,~-255
              >
              >those changes are unnecessary. (On Windows, the above setting is the
              >default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)

              This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
              non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.

              >This is incorporated as 5.6.052.

              Axel, 5 patches behind

              --
              Adults get far more pleasure from adultery
              than children do from infancy
              Message 6 of 12 , May 9, 2000
                * Axel Kielhorn <Axel.noSpam@...> [000416 15:23]:
                > >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
                > >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
                > >setting "set isprint=@,~-255" those changes are unnecessary. (On
                > >Windows, the above setting is the default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)
                > This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
                > non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.

                Well, was it possible for you to produce a new version?

                Also, could we please decide on a
                MacVim to be *the* official one?

                I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:

                MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
                However, there are three sites with updates:
                Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
                and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
                Please let me know which version you are using.

                For me it means more work altogether:
                Maintain more info, keep more links,
                keep contact with ebern more people,
                and confuse the hell out of the users.

                I'd *really* appreciate if you guys would get
                your stuff together and decide on *one* person
                to maintain *the* MacVim on ftp.vim.org.

                I know this won't solve the requests for
                "please make me a binary with +perl"
                but then again it's Apple's problem that
                there they don't supply a free compiler..

                Sven
              • G. Mark Stewart
                Message 7 of 12 , May 9, 2000
                  Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
                  look at to show the differences between VIM and VI? Or are my
                  own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
                  As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
                  that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
                  which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?

                  Mark

                  Sven Guckes wrote:

                  > * Axel Kielhorn <Axel.noSpam@...> [000416 15:23]:
                  > > >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
                  > > >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
                  > > >setting "set isprint=@,~-255" those changes are unnecessary. (On
                  > > >Windows, the above setting is the default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)
                  > > This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
                  > > non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.
                  >
                  > Well, was it possible for you to produce a new version?
                  >
                  > Also, could we please decide on a
                  > MacVim to be *the* official one?
                  >
                  > I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:
                  >
                  > MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
                  > However, there are three sites with updates:
                  > Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
                  > and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
                  > Please let me know which version you are using.
                  >
                  > For me it means more work altogether:
                  > Maintain more info, keep more links,
                  > keep contact with ebern more people,
                  > and confuse the hell out of the users.
                  >
                  > I'd *really* appreciate if you guys would get
                  > your stuff together and decide on *one* person
                  > to maintain *the* MacVim on ftp.vim.org.
                  >
                  > I know this won't solve the requests for
                  > "please make me a binary with +perl"
                  > but then again it's Apple's problem that
                  > there they don't supply a free compiler..
                  >
                  > Sven
                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 9, 2000
                    Mark Stewart wrote:

                    > Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
                    > look at to show the differences between VIM and VI?

                    :help vi-differences

                    > Or are my
                    > own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
                    > As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
                    > that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
                    > which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?

                    This should work in Vim exactly like it does in Vi. Did you remap ' to `
                    perhaps?

                    --
                    This is an airconditioned room, do not open Windows.

                  • Leedsnet
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9, 2000
                      At 03:44 PM 5/9/00, Sven Guckes wrote:
                      >I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:
                      >
                      > MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
                      > However, there are three sites with updates:
                      > Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
                      > and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
                      > Please let me know which version you are using.

                      I have tried to find an official MacVim site from the vim
                      pages and have not been successful. Could you post
                      a url where the full comte of what you are 'sick of telling
                      people' can be found.

                      I am also looking for a copy of a recent 'os_mac.c' I
                      have been able to find or make for myself everything
                      else.

                      >I know this won't solve the requests for
                      >"please make me a binary with +perl"
                      >but then again it's Apple's problem that
                      >there they don't supply a free compiler.

                      Maybe they don't & may be they should, but you may
                      find this < URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/ >
                      interesting.

                      Ben.
                      --
                      Leedsnet - The information resource for Leeds and the West Riding
                      < URL:http://www.leedsnet.com/ >
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 9, 2000
                        I'll check it out -- thanks!

                        Mark

                        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        > Mark Stewart wrote:
                        >
                        > > Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
                        > > look at to show the differences between VIM and VI?
                        >
                        > :help vi-differences
                        >
                        > > Or are my
                        > > own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
                        > > As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
                        > > that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
                        > > which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?
                        >
                        > This should work in Vim exactly like it does in Vi. Did you remap ' to `
                        > perhaps?
                        >
                        > --
                        > This is an airconditioned room, do not open Windows.
                        >
                        > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
                        > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/
                      • david craig
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 10, 2000
                          Ben-
                          On Tue, 9 May 2000, Leedsnet wrote:
                          > I have tried to find an official MacVim site from the vim pages
                          > and have not been successful. Could you post a url where the full
                          > comte of what you are 'sick of telling people' can be found.

                          What links I am aware of can be found on my core-dump of links at
                          about

                          <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/Marks/code.html#corporate>

                          David

                          <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
                        • Sven Guckes
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 10, 2000
                            * Leedsnet <info@...> [000510 08:31]:

                            http://www.vim.org/macs.html

                            > Could you post a url where the full comte of what
                            > you are 'sick of telling people' can be found.

                            I could put all this onto the webpage -
                            but so far I have refrained from doing so.
                            I hope that this "official" page can simply
                            say "get your MacVim from any ftp mirror"...

                            > >I know this won't solve the requests for
                            > >"please make me a binary with +perl"
                            > >but then again it's Apple's problem that
                            > >there they don't supply a free compiler.
                            > Maybe they don't & may be they should,
                            > but you may find [MPW] interesting.
                            > http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/

                            I have seen MPW - years ago.
                            Has it become any better?
                            I mean, has it become usable? ;-)
                            Anyone?

                            PS: "Ben/Leedsnet" - I had to "confirm"
                            your postings before they got onto the list.
                            So please subscribe if you want to post.
                            And fix the From: line to show your name.
                            Thanks!

                            Sven

                            --
                            Sven Guckes guckes@... --- Archive: http://www.egroups.com/list/vim-mac