Re: How to solve: E254: Cannot allocate color darkyellow

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
      Le 7 juin 05, à 07:16, A. J. Mechelynck a écrit :

      > IIUC, "darkyellow" is not a standard symbolic colour name. For
      > portability, I would suggest to replace it (after guifg= or guibg=)
      > either by a numeric value such as #BBBB00, or by a "standard" symbolic
      > name; here are a few examples:
      >
      > #A52A2A Brown
      > #808000 Olive (not in my rgb.txt)
      > #FFFF00 Yellow

      The problem is that I do not know where this "darkyellow" comes from. I
      have the error when I edit otl files (vimoutliner files) and ml files
      using the omlet filetype. I guess these syntax hilighters are using
      this colour.

      Alan
    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
        Alan Schmitt wrote:
        [...]
        > First of all, thanks a lot to Eric and Antoine for this enlightening
        > discussion. Some of it went way over my head, but I was able to solve
        > the problem.
        >
        > As I'm using the default colorscheme, I did not really know what to do
        > (and where to copy it from). I also had no g:colors_name defined.
        >
        > So I edited $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt and added the line suggested above, and
        > everything is working now. It bothers me a little to have to edit vim
        > runtime files directly, but I'll know what to do next time I upgrade my
        > Vim.
        >
        > Thanks again to everyone,
        >
        > Alan

        If you have no colorscheme defined, you must have one or more
        ":hi[ghlight]" statements somewhere, probably in your vimrc but maybe
        elsewhere. If it bothers you (as it bothers me) to edit distribution
        files, you may want to search your vimrc (and any scripts sourced from
        it) for the pattern /\c\<darkyellow\>/ . You might even try

        :1,$s/\c\(gui.g=\)darkyellow\>/\1#BBBB00/g

        Add a c at the very end if you want to "confirm" every substitution.

        Or else (a trick mentioned at ":help fvwm.vim", I *don't* know if it
        works for non-Unix systems) you might move your rgb.txt elsewhere, let's
        say in your home directory, and add

        let rgb_file = $HOME . "/rgb.txt"

        to your _vimrc.

        Best regards,
        Tony.
      • A. J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
          > Le 7 juin 05, à 07:16, A. J. Mechelynck a écrit :
          >
          >> IIUC, "darkyellow" is not a standard symbolic colour name. For
          >> portability, I would suggest to replace it (after guifg= or guibg=)
          >> either by a numeric value such as #BBBB00, or by a "standard" symbolic
          >> name; here are a few examples:
          >>
          >> #A52A2A Brown
          >> #808000 Olive (not in my rgb.txt)
          >> #FFFF00 Yellow
          >

          > The problem is that I do not know where this "darkyellow" comes from. I
          > have the error when I edit otl files (vimoutliner files) and ml files
          > using the omlet filetype. I guess these syntax hilighters are using this
          > colour.
          >
          > Alan

          Well, it must come from some script that you sourced. All those scripts'
          names are listed by the ":scriptnames" command. You may want to search
          scripts in that list for /darkyellow/

          Best regards,
          Tony.