Re: new developer, longtime user

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 23, 2001
      On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 10:56:12PM -0400, Dany St-Amant wrote:
      :
      : > Gregory Seidman wrote:
      : >>
      : >> Hey there. I'm trying to get ramped up on the vim codebase so I can
      : >> achieve the following goals:
      : >>
      : >> 1) a frontend for OpenStep/GNUstep/MacOS X, comparable to the Motif
      : >> and GTK frontends

      [...]

      : I do not believe it will be easy to provide a Cocoa interface, as it
      : would probably require to create a Objective-C wrapper around Vim
      : which would still allow us to scan the argument before entering that
      : wrapper. Sounds scary to me. Maybe some NeXT guru could help solve
      : that dilemma.

      Actually, I would prefer a Cocoa port instead of a frontend. And if
      this could be done, a simple frontend to launch the Cocoa app would be
      trivial I imagine.

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2001
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > Gregory Seidman wrote:
        > > 3) support for what emacs calls multiple "frames" and what I would call
        > > multiple windows except "windows" already means something else
        >
        > This has been suggested before. There are problems with it, starting
        > with the problem of making it portable. The change in paradigm may be
        > an even more serious problem. I do not think you will get much
        > support with this, at least not from Bram.

        Oh, you have my support for attempting to implement this, trying various
        alternatives and showing how it works. But I won't include anything
        unless I'm convinced all major issues are taken care of (such as how to
        deal with typing ":" commands and what to do with their output. And can
        each frame be in a different mode?)

        246. You use up your free 100 hours in less than a week.

      • Zdenek Sekera
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2001
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Benji Fisher wrote:
          >
          > > Gregory Seidman wrote:
          > > > 3) support for what emacs calls multiple "frames" and what I would call
          > > > multiple windows except "windows" already means something else
          > >
          > > This has been suggested before. There are problems with it, starting
          > > with the problem of making it portable. The change in paradigm may be
          > > an even more serious problem. I do not think you will get much
          > > support with this, at least not from Bram.
          >
          > Oh, you have my support for attempting to implement this, trying various
          > alternatives and showing how it works. But I won't include anything
          > unless I'm convinced all major issues are taken care of (such as how to
          > deal with typing ":" commands and what to do with their output. And can
          > each frame be in a different mode?)

          That already should take care of a few of your weekends, Greg :-)
          But, no doubt, it would be a great feature.

          Neil Bird wrote:

          > Maybe I'm being dense, but how would a multi-headed gvim
          > actually differ from merely running multiple gvims?

          E.g. can't edit the same file in different gvim's, can't share
          registers,
          marks, what have you....and surely more.

          ---Zdenek