Re: How to solve: E254: Cannot allocate color darkyellow

  • Eric Arnold
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
      --- "A. J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      > Eric Arnold wrote:
      > >
      > > As it turns out, it is a color, not a color group ("group" is misleading
      > > IMHO), so you can only use it after "guifg=" or "guibg=", etc. not for
      > > commands like "match". If you want that, you can define a color group of
      > > the same name, as long as you don't let it confuse things more. I.e.:
      > >
      > > match darkyellow /pattern/
      > >
      > > fails, but
      > >
      > > hi darkyellow guifg=darkyellow
      > > match darkyellow /pattern/
      > >
      > > works.
      >
      > Oy yeah? I would expect the same error on the "hi" line as that noticed
      > by the OP (i.e., E254)

      I was a little surprised when it worked, but since it appears that the name
      spaces are independent, there's nothing to keep you from doing it. It
      still might not work for the original poster, if "darkyellow" isn't defined
      as a color ("darkyellow" isn't in "rgb.txt", but there are 6 different
      light yellows. Hmm, how many light yellows does it take to make a dark
      yellow? ).

      > Symbolic color names can also be used, provided that they are defined on
      > your system, see ":help rgb.txt". $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt defines the
      > default set. The help text says that "it must be located in
      > $VIMRUNTIME", which implicitly means that you cannot change it. I don't
      > know if (or why not) it can reside also in any other directory in
      > 'runtimepath' or whether additions to it may or may not be done by means
      > of a file named, let's say, $VIM/vimfiles/after/rgb.txt

      The good news is that "rgb.txt" is monitored at run time, so it picks
      up changes to "rgb.txt" as soon as you make them (without restarting
      Vim). The bad news that adding another "rgb.txt" to $VIM/vimfiles or
      $VIM/vimfiles/after doesn't seem to work.

      Anyway, adding the equivalent of #BBBB00,
      187 187 0 darkyellow
      to "rgb.txt" is another thing for Alan to try, after
      hi test guifg=darkyellow
      to be sure you get the E254 not found error.
    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
        Eric Arnold wrote:
        [...]
        > Anyway, adding the equivalent of #BBBB00,
        > 187 187 0 darkyellow
        > to "rgb.txt" is another thing for Alan to try, after
        > hi test guifg=darkyellow
        > to be sure you get the E254 not found error.

        My rgb.txt doesn't include "darkyellow", nor is that name listed in a
        list of symbolic color name which I found in an appendix to a book over
        HTML. It lists the colors in lexicographic order on the RRGGBB value.
        I'm not listing the whole long list, but here are the names for colors
        whose red component is in the range B0-BF:

        #B0C4DE Lightsteelblue
        #B0E0E6 Powderblue
        #B22222 Firebrick
        #B8860B Darkgoldenrod
        #BA55D3 Mediumorchid
        #BC8F8F Rosybrown
        #BDB76B Darkkhaki

        IIUC, "darkyellow" is not a standard symbolic colour name. For
        portability, I would suggest to replace it (after guifg= or guibg=)
        either by a numeric value such as #BBBB00, or by a "standard" symbolic
        name; here are a few examples:

        #A52A2A Brown
        #808000 Olive (not in my rgb.txt)
        #FFFF00 Yellow

        Best regards,
        Tony.
      • Alan Schmitt
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
          Le 7 juin 05, à 06:39, Eric Arnold a écrit :

          > --- "A. J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Symbolic color names can also be used, provided that they are defined
          >> on
          >> your system, see ":help rgb.txt". $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt defines the
          >> default set. The help text says that "it must be located in
          >> $VIMRUNTIME", which implicitly means that you cannot change it. I
          >> don't
          >> know if (or why not) it can reside also in any other directory in
          >> 'runtimepath' or whether additions to it may or may not be done by
          >> means
          >> of a file named, let's say, $VIM/vimfiles/after/rgb.txt
          >
          > The good news is that "rgb.txt" is monitored at run time, so it picks
          > up changes to "rgb.txt" as soon as you make them (without restarting
          > Vim). The bad news that adding another "rgb.txt" to $VIM/vimfiles or
          > $VIM/vimfiles/after doesn't seem to work.
          >
          > Anyway, adding the equivalent of #BBBB00,
          > 187 187 0 darkyellow
          > to "rgb.txt" is another thing for Alan to try, after
          > hi test guifg=darkyellow
          > to be sure you get the E254 not found error.

          First of all, thanks a lot to Eric and Antoine for this enlightening
          discussion. Some of it went way over my head, but I was able to solve
          the problem.

          As I'm using the default colorscheme, I did not really know what to do
          (and where to copy it from). I also had no g:colors_name defined.

          So I edited $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt and added the line suggested above, and
          everything is working now. It bothers me a little to have to edit vim
          runtime files directly, but I'll know what to do next time I upgrade my
          Vim.

          Thanks again to everyone,

          Alan
        • Alan Schmitt
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
            Le 7 juin 05, à 07:16, A. J. Mechelynck a écrit :

            > IIUC, "darkyellow" is not a standard symbolic colour name. For
            > portability, I would suggest to replace it (after guifg= or guibg=)
            > either by a numeric value such as #BBBB00, or by a "standard" symbolic
            > name; here are a few examples:
            >
            > #A52A2A Brown
            > #808000 Olive (not in my rgb.txt)
            > #FFFF00 Yellow

            The problem is that I do not know where this "darkyellow" comes from. I
            have the error when I edit otl files (vimoutliner files) and ml files
            using the omlet filetype. I guess these syntax hilighters are using
            this colour.

            Alan
          • A. J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
              Alan Schmitt wrote:
              [...]
              > First of all, thanks a lot to Eric and Antoine for this enlightening
              > discussion. Some of it went way over my head, but I was able to solve
              > the problem.
              >
              > As I'm using the default colorscheme, I did not really know what to do
              > (and where to copy it from). I also had no g:colors_name defined.
              >
              > So I edited $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt and added the line suggested above, and
              > everything is working now. It bothers me a little to have to edit vim
              > runtime files directly, but I'll know what to do next time I upgrade my
              > Vim.
              >
              > Thanks again to everyone,
              >
              > Alan

              If you have no colorscheme defined, you must have one or more
              ":hi[ghlight]" statements somewhere, probably in your vimrc but maybe
              elsewhere. If it bothers you (as it bothers me) to edit distribution
              files, you may want to search your vimrc (and any scripts sourced from
              it) for the pattern /\c\<darkyellow\>/ . You might even try

              :1,$s/\c\(gui.g=\)darkyellow\>/\1#BBBB00/g

              Add a c at the very end if you want to "confirm" every substitution.

              Or else (a trick mentioned at ":help fvwm.vim", I *don't* know if it
              works for non-Unix systems) you might move your rgb.txt elsewhere, let's
              say in your home directory, and add

              let rgb_file = $HOME . "/rgb.txt"

              to your _vimrc.

              Best regards,
              Tony.
            • A. J. Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
                Alan Schmitt wrote:
                > Le 7 juin 05, à 07:16, A. J. Mechelynck a écrit :
                >
                >> IIUC, "darkyellow" is not a standard symbolic colour name. For
                >> portability, I would suggest to replace it (after guifg= or guibg=)
                >> either by a numeric value such as #BBBB00, or by a "standard" symbolic
                >> name; here are a few examples:
                >>
                >> #A52A2A Brown
                >> #808000 Olive (not in my rgb.txt)
                >> #FFFF00 Yellow
                >

                > The problem is that I do not know where this "darkyellow" comes from. I
                > have the error when I edit otl files (vimoutliner files) and ml files
                > using the omlet filetype. I guess these syntax hilighters are using this
                > colour.
                >
                > Alan

                Well, it must come from some script that you sourced. All those scripts'
                names are listed by the ":scriptnames" command. You may want to search
                scripts in that list for /darkyellow/

                Best regards,
                Tony.