Re: How to use command - z for undo?

  • Unnsse Khan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2005
      Antoine,

      I know that I could reference vim's help, but this undo and paste
      problem seemed
      akward to me and that's why I posted my question. I have used vim on
      Windows for
      years and never experienced these "basic" problems, so that's why I
      thought that it
      could be a settings issue. I can't believe that it won't work using
      "Command z" or "Control z",
      default, for that matter.

      Actually, I am using OS X's Mail and Microsoft's Entourage, I just
      told everyone that I was
      using MS Outlook, because I didn't want to complicate matters. Its
      unfortunate that I have to
      use pico to copy and paste different things. I usually use gvim for
      everything.

      All the best,

      Unnsse

    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2005
        Unnsse Khan wrote:
        > Antoine,
        >
        > I know that I could reference vim's help, but this undo and paste
        > problem seemed
        > akward to me and that's why I posted my question. I have used vim on
        > Windows for
        > years and never experienced these "basic" problems, so that's why I
        > thought that it
        > could be a settings issue. I can't believe that it won't work using
        > "Command z" or "Control z",
        > default, for that matter.
        >
        > Actually, I am using OS X's Mail and Microsoft's Entourage, I just told
        > everyone that I was
        > using MS Outlook, because I didn't want to complicate matters. Its
        > unfortunate that I have to
        > use pico to copy and paste different things. I usually use gvim for
        > everything.
        >
        > All the best,
        >
        > Unnsse

        Vim normally uses u for undo; or Ctrl-O u if in Insert mode. "u for
        undo" doesn't sound "awkward" or "complicated" to me, but if you want
        "Cmd-Z for undo" instead, you can -- by means of a mapping, see the
        other post in this thread. Cmd-Z is normally unused in Insert mode, so
        you have the luck that there won't be a clash there; if you want to use
        it in all modes, you need another mapping, as follows:

        :map <D-Z> u
        :map! <D-Z> <C-O>u

        (Type all this literally, i.e., < is less-than, > is greater-than, etc.)
        You can put these lines, without the colons, in your vimrc. You will
        lose the Normal-mode Cmd-Z (Ctrl-Z is usually used to suspend Vim) but
        you can use ":suspend" instead, so here too, there's no dramatic loss.

        I would, however, urge you to learn "the Vim way" of doing things,
        rather tran trying to make Vim mimic whatever editor you used before.
        The latter is possible, but the former is usually more rewarding,
        because it's only that way that you can learn all that Vim can do and
        your former editor couldn't.

        I still don't know why whatever mail client you are using (and if it
        isn't Outlook, then what is it? With wrong information you won't get the
        right anwer: garbage in, garbage out, as computer programmers used to
        say) -- why you mail client doesn't read the clipboard data properly.

        Best regards,
        Tony.
      • panshizhu@routon.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2005
          "A. J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote on 2005-06-06
          11:41:35:

          > Unnsse Khan wrote:
          > > I can't believe that it won't work using
          > > "Command z" or "Control z",
          > > default, for that matter.
          > >
          > > Actually, I am using OS X's Mail and Microsoft's Entourage, I just
          told
          > > everyone that I was
          > > using MS Outlook, because I didn't want to complicate matters. Its
          > > unfortunate that I have to
          > > use pico to copy and paste different things. I usually use gvim for
          > > everything.
          >
          > I still don't know why whatever mail client you are using (and if it
          > isn't Outlook, then what is it? With wrong information you won't get the
          > right anwer: garbage in, garbage out, as computer programmers used to
          > say) -- why you mail client doesn't read the clipboard data properly.
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.

          Hi Tony,

          I think what he questions is that why cmd-z is not undo by default...

          But I don't think cmd-z should be the default, (so that I can use the
          _same_ vim in all platforms.)

          For the paste, I think what he questions is that the cmd-z in vim cannot be
          pasted into his mail client.

          And I don't think non-printable characters like cmd-z should be pasted into
          mail client "as is".

          Right?
        • Manu Anand
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
            On 6/6/05, panshizhu@... <panshizhu@...> wrote:
            > "A. J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote on 2005-06-06
            > 11:41:35:
            >
            > > Unnsse Khan wrote:
            > > > I can't believe that it won't work using
            > > > "Command z" or "Control z",
            > > > default, for that matter.

            Hi Unnsse:

            I think the problem is that VIM for Windows sources mswin.vim behind
            ur back. The idea is that the behavious should be consistent with
            other Windows apps.

            You can source this file from the distribution incase you are missing
            those shortcuts..

            HTH
            Manu