Re: How to use command - z for undo?

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2005
      Unnsse Khan wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am running gvim Vim 7.0aa ALPHA on OS X 10.4 (Tiger) (I downloaded this
      > from: http://macvim.org/OSX/index.html.
      >
      > My .vimrc file looks like this:
      >
      > Raven:~ untz$ cat .vimrc
      > set nocompatible
      > set ts=4
      > set keymodel=startsel
      > set nu
      > set autoindent
      > set ruler
      > set backspace=indent,eol,start
      > syntax on
      > colorscheme torte
      > set gfn=set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 20
      >
      > My question is, how I use an "undo" on gvim?
      >
      > When I click on "command key + z", it just echos:
      >
      > <D-z>
      >
      > Also, if I copy code from vim or some other program, and try to paste
      > in Outlook,
      > it gives me cryptic characters.... When I tried to copy the <D-z> from
      > gvim into this e-mail,
      > the output is this:
      >
      > 獤摤摤
      >
      > Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated...
      >
      > With thanks,
      >
      > Unnsse

      Undo in (g)vim is obtained by hitting u in Normal mode. Vim is highly
      configurable; but its basic keystrokes are inherited from VI, not from
      Notepad, not from kedit, not from Word, not from WordPerfect and not
      from WordStar. Its help is the most comprehensive (and the least
      out-of-date) I ever saw for _any_ program, bar none; but that help is so
      voluminous a haystack that sometimes finding your needle in it may be,
      shall we say, a little awkward. ;-)

      This said, there are ways to search the help. In this case,

      :help undo

      would have given you the answer.

      I don't know the answer to your paste problem. You are using Outlook,
      not Outlook Express, are you? I know the latter but not the former.
      Maybe it doesn't understand the clipboard data copied by "Vim or other
      programs".

      Best regards,
      Tony.
    • panshizhu@routon.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2005
        Unnsse Khan <untz@...> wrote on 2005-06-06 09:13:17:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am running gvim Vim 7.0aa ALPHA on OS X 10.4 (Tiger) (I downloaded
        > this
        > from: http://macvim.org/OSX/index.html.
        >
        > My .vimrc file looks like this:
        >
        > Raven:~ untz$ cat .vimrc
        > set nocompatible
        > set ts=4
        > set keymodel=startsel
        > set nu
        > set autoindent
        > set ruler
        > set backspace=indent,eol,start
        > syntax on
        > colorscheme torte
        > set gfn=set guifont=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 20
        >
        > My question is, how I use an "undo" on gvim?
        >
        > When I click on "command key + z", it just echos:
        >
        > <D-z>
        >
        > Also, if I copy code from vim or some other program, and try to paste
        > in Outlook,
        > it gives me cryptic characters.... When I tried to copy the <D-z>
        > from gvim into this e-mail,
        > the output is this:
        >
        > ������
        >
        > Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated...
        >
        > With thanks,
        >
        > Unnsse

        Hi, the Vim uses u for undo, please :help undo
        to see it.

        If you do want the command+z for undo, you can just create a map for that,
        like:

        :imap <D-z> <C-O>u

        On the above the <D-z> mean you press the command+z key, but for <C-O> you
        should input the character literally...

        --
        Sincerely
        Pan, Shizhu. ext: 2221
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2005
          Antoine,

          I know that I could reference vim's help, but this undo and paste
          problem seemed
          akward to me and that's why I posted my question. I have used vim on
          Windows for
          years and never experienced these "basic" problems, so that's why I
          thought that it
          could be a settings issue. I can't believe that it won't work using
          "Command z" or "Control z",
          default, for that matter.

          Actually, I am using OS X's Mail and Microsoft's Entourage, I just
          told everyone that I was
          using MS Outlook, because I didn't want to complicate matters. Its
          unfortunate that I have to
          use pico to copy and paste different things. I usually use gvim for
          everything.

          All the best,

          Unnsse

        • A. J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2005
            Unnsse Khan wrote:
            > Antoine,
            >
            > I know that I could reference vim's help, but this undo and paste
            > problem seemed
            > akward to me and that's why I posted my question. I have used vim on
            > Windows for
            > years and never experienced these "basic" problems, so that's why I
            > thought that it
            > could be a settings issue. I can't believe that it won't work using
            > "Command z" or "Control z",
            > default, for that matter.
            >
            > Actually, I am using OS X's Mail and Microsoft's Entourage, I just told
            > everyone that I was
            > using MS Outlook, because I didn't want to complicate matters. Its
            > unfortunate that I have to
            > use pico to copy and paste different things. I usually use gvim for
            > everything.
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Unnsse

            Vim normally uses u for undo; or Ctrl-O u if in Insert mode. "u for
            undo" doesn't sound "awkward" or "complicated" to me, but if you want
            "Cmd-Z for undo" instead, you can -- by means of a mapping, see the
            other post in this thread. Cmd-Z is normally unused in Insert mode, so
            you have the luck that there won't be a clash there; if you want to use
            it in all modes, you need another mapping, as follows:

            :map <D-Z> u
            :map! <D-Z> <C-O>u

            (Type all this literally, i.e., < is less-than, > is greater-than, etc.)
            You can put these lines, without the colons, in your vimrc. You will
            lose the Normal-mode Cmd-Z (Ctrl-Z is usually used to suspend Vim) but
            you can use ":suspend" instead, so here too, there's no dramatic loss.

            I would, however, urge you to learn "the Vim way" of doing things,
            rather tran trying to make Vim mimic whatever editor you used before.
            The latter is possible, but the former is usually more rewarding,
            because it's only that way that you can learn all that Vim can do and
            your former editor couldn't.

            I still don't know why whatever mail client you are using (and if it
            isn't Outlook, then what is it? With wrong information you won't get the
            right anwer: garbage in, garbage out, as computer programmers used to
            say) -- why you mail client doesn't read the clipboard data properly.

            Best regards,
            Tony.
          • panshizhu@routon.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2005
              "A. J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote on 2005-06-06
              11:41:35:

              > Unnsse Khan wrote:
              > > I can't believe that it won't work using
              > > "Command z" or "Control z",
              > > default, for that matter.
              > >
              > > Actually, I am using OS X's Mail and Microsoft's Entourage, I just
              told
              > > everyone that I was
              > > using MS Outlook, because I didn't want to complicate matters. Its
              > > unfortunate that I have to
              > > use pico to copy and paste different things. I usually use gvim for
              > > everything.
              >
              > I still don't know why whatever mail client you are using (and if it
              > isn't Outlook, then what is it? With wrong information you won't get the
              > right anwer: garbage in, garbage out, as computer programmers used to
              > say) -- why you mail client doesn't read the clipboard data properly.
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Tony.

              Hi Tony,

              I think what he questions is that why cmd-z is not undo by default...

              But I don't think cmd-z should be the default, (so that I can use the
              _same_ vim in all platforms.)

              For the paste, I think what he questions is that the cmd-z in vim cannot be
              pasted into his mail client.

              And I don't think non-printable characters like cmd-z should be pasted into
              mail client "as is".

              Right?
            • Manu Anand
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2005
                On 6/6/05, panshizhu@... <panshizhu@...> wrote:
                > "A. J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote on 2005-06-06
                > 11:41:35:
                >
                > > Unnsse Khan wrote:
                > > > I can't believe that it won't work using
                > > > "Command z" or "Control z",
                > > > default, for that matter.

                Hi Unnsse:

                I think the problem is that VIM for Windows sources mswin.vim behind
                ur back. The idea is that the behavious should be consistent with
                other Windows apps.

                You can source this file from the distribution incase you are missing
                those shortcuts..

                HTH
                Manu