Re: Newbie Upgrading on Mac

  • Chris Devers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
      On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jason Van Anden wrote:

      > - how do I change the path statement to call [new Vim] instead of 6.2?

      Edit the $PATH variable in your login scripts.

      If you're using the Bash shell, you should have a ~/.bashrc file; if
      not, create one. There needs to be a PATH declaration something like:

      export PATH=~/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH

      In this example, I'm prepending my personal ~/bin directory at the front
      of my $PATH, then /usr/local/bin (which is where a custom-installed Vim
      would probably end up for me), then the rest of the $PATH variable as it
      already existed before this line was executed. You'll usually already
      have at least something for $PATH -- use

      $ echo $PATH

      on the command line to examine it -- so this just adds what I want to
      what was already there.

      So. Edit ~/.bashrc, then start a new shell. You should have the new
      value for $PATH, but if you don't, ~/.bashrc may not be getting run at
      shell launch time. If a

      $ source ~/.bashrc

      gets the result you want, then this is the case, and you need to turn on
      running ~/.bashrc at shell start time by adding

      source ~/.bashrc

      to your ~/.bash_profile (or just ~/.profile) as well. (Yes, there are
      too many weird quirks about this, but nevermind.)

      If you're using the tcsh shell, the outline is the same as above, but
      you'll need to add something like

      setenv path = ( ~/bin /usr/local/bin $path )

      to your ~/.tcshrc or ~/.cshrc file.

      Make sense?

      --
      Chris Devers