Re: Newbie Upgrading on Mac

  • Stephen Riehm
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hi Jason,

      On 3 Jun 2005, at 20:15, Jason Van Anden wrote:

      > I would like to update Vim 6.2 to 6.3 - and have it run from
      > terminal by simply typing >vim readme.txt. I downloaded 6.3 and
      > can call it with its full path - how do I change the path statement
      > to call it instead of 6.2?

      you could add /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/ to your path, but
      then you would also have to type Vim (instead of vim - see the shift
      key?) on the command line for it to work.

      For that reason I've simply set up an alias. You've got to do this
      differently depending on the shell you're using.
      If you're using tcsh, add this line to your .tcshrc file (in your
      home directory):

      alias vim /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
      alias gvim /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g

      For the bash users, add this to your .bashrc file:

      alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
      alias gvim="/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g"

      enjoy,

      Steve
    • Chris Devers
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
        On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jason Van Anden wrote:

        > - how do I change the path statement to call [new Vim] instead of 6.2?

        Edit the $PATH variable in your login scripts.

        If you're using the Bash shell, you should have a ~/.bashrc file; if
        not, create one. There needs to be a PATH declaration something like:

        export PATH=~/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH

        In this example, I'm prepending my personal ~/bin directory at the front
        of my $PATH, then /usr/local/bin (which is where a custom-installed Vim
        would probably end up for me), then the rest of the $PATH variable as it
        already existed before this line was executed. You'll usually already
        have at least something for $PATH -- use

        $ echo $PATH

        on the command line to examine it -- so this just adds what I want to
        what was already there.

        So. Edit ~/.bashrc, then start a new shell. You should have the new
        value for $PATH, but if you don't, ~/.bashrc may not be getting run at
        shell launch time. If a

        $ source ~/.bashrc

        gets the result you want, then this is the case, and you need to turn on
        running ~/.bashrc at shell start time by adding

        source ~/.bashrc

        to your ~/.bash_profile (or just ~/.profile) as well. (Yes, there are
        too many weird quirks about this, but nevermind.)

        If you're using the tcsh shell, the outline is the same as above, but
        you'll need to add something like

        setenv path = ( ~/bin /usr/local/bin $path )

        to your ~/.tcshrc or ~/.cshrc file.

        Make sense?

        --
        Chris Devers