Newbie Upgrading on Mac

  • Jason Van Anden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005

      New to Mac so please forgive my ignorance but ... I would like to
      update Vim 6.2 to 6.3 - and have it run from terminal by simply typing
      >vim readme.txt. I downloaded 6.3 and can call it with its full path -
      how do I change the path statement to call it instead of 6.2?

      Thank You,
    • Stephen Riehm
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
        Hi Jason,

        On 3 Jun 2005, at 20:15, Jason Van Anden wrote:

        > I would like to update Vim 6.2 to 6.3 - and have it run from
        > terminal by simply typing >vim readme.txt. I downloaded 6.3 and
        > can call it with its full path - how do I change the path statement
        > to call it instead of 6.2?

        you could add /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/ to your path, but
        then you would also have to type Vim (instead of vim - see the shift
        key?) on the command line for it to work.

        For that reason I've simply set up an alias. You've got to do this
        differently depending on the shell you're using.
        If you're using tcsh, add this line to your .tcshrc file (in your
        home directory):

        alias vim /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
        alias gvim /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g

        For the bash users, add this to your .bashrc file:

        alias vim=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
        alias gvim="/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g"

        enjoy,

        Steve
      • Chris Devers
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
          On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jason Van Anden wrote:

          > - how do I change the path statement to call [new Vim] instead of 6.2?

          Edit the $PATH variable in your login scripts.

          If you're using the Bash shell, you should have a ~/.bashrc file; if
          not, create one. There needs to be a PATH declaration something like:

          export PATH=~/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH

          In this example, I'm prepending my personal ~/bin directory at the front
          of my $PATH, then /usr/local/bin (which is where a custom-installed Vim
          would probably end up for me), then the rest of the $PATH variable as it
          already existed before this line was executed. You'll usually already
          have at least something for $PATH -- use

          $ echo $PATH

          on the command line to examine it -- so this just adds what I want to
          what was already there.

          So. Edit ~/.bashrc, then start a new shell. You should have the new
          value for $PATH, but if you don't, ~/.bashrc may not be getting run at
          shell launch time. If a

          $ source ~/.bashrc

          gets the result you want, then this is the case, and you need to turn on
          running ~/.bashrc at shell start time by adding

          source ~/.bashrc

          to your ~/.bash_profile (or just ~/.profile) as well. (Yes, there are
          too many weird quirks about this, but nevermind.)

          If you're using the tcsh shell, the outline is the same as above, but
          you'll need to add something like

          setenv path = ( ~/bin /usr/local/bin $path )

          to your ~/.tcshrc or ~/.cshrc file.

          Make sense?

          --
          Chris Devers